Anti-Inflammatory, alkalizing foods, GF, low sugar

2»

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    One of the PP put up a great list already! And from personal experience--I can attest to certain foods having an inflammatory response on the body! There are certain foods that--if I eat--the lymph nodes on my neck become enlarged and painful. It is primarily from a few processed foods, and in particular aspartame. So Identifying your sensitivities to foods is far from "broscience" as one person put it.

I also wanted to add that I stopped taking NSAIDS in favor of taking tart cherry capsules--which are an anti inflammatory. I find that they are very effective for all types of pain. I also take Quercetin if I find that I have eaten something that is causing an inflammatory response. It also acts as an antihistamine. Great if foods affect your sinuses too!

I commend you on your approach and your attitude in dealing with it!

I'm interested in the Quercetin as husband and I have sinus issues. Anyone else know anything about it or tried it?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    The pH of lemon is low as it has a lot of citrate but the potassium content will tend to increase the pH of urine as it is an alkali.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    The pH of lemon is low as it has a lot of citrate but the potassium content will tend to increase the pH of urine as it is an alkali.

Is that what they are on about with alkalising diets, urinary pH? Unless your prone to renal stones why bother?
  • Natural sweeteners:
    Stevia
    monk fruit
    100% honey
    Raw honey
    ... Is 80% sugar and 20% water. Why not list cane sugar? much more natural than the stevia tablets you get in the supermarket.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

Is that what they are on about with alkalising diets, urinary pH? Unless your prone to renal stones why bother?

I believe so, the intake of alkaline ions like Na, K etc. In some processes the "natural alkalinity" of the raw material is a measure of these things, even when the pH is acid.

So in the bodies acid / base balance I think the idea is that a higher intake of basic ions may shift the cellular pH or the urine / saliva in an alkaline direction. Salive and urine pH are the things "they" would point to, not blood or stomach pH.
  • Quinoa, oats, and lentils are all gluten free and relatively grain-like.

Nope, oats do contain gluten. Precisely, oats contain avenin, which is one of a group of proteins called prolamines, commonly known as 'gluten'.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    If you're pre-pre diabetic then guess what? You're not diabetic in any sense of the word, just focus on eating within your calorie goals and you will lose weight and get out of that range...
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    - Don't eat dairy (except for eggs)

Ummm.....I could be wrong but I'm about 99% sure eggs do not come out of a cow.

I think we need more data and real life test before we can definitively call this one.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    - Don't eat dairy (except for eggs)

Ummm.....I could be wrong but I'm about 99% sure eggs do not come out of a cow.

I think we need more data and real life test before we can definitively call this one.
    heh
  • pepeleo
    pepeleo Posts: 49 Member
    Sounds good, easy enough to follow. Alkalizing foods are so much better and heathier for you than donuts, soda, cakes, cookies, etc. Just look up alkalizing foods and you get a lot of info on it with a lot of choices with fruits and veg's. It just sounds like good and healthy eating. Good luck!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member

I believe so, the intake of alkaline ions like Na, K etc. In some processes the "natural alkalinity" of the raw material is a measure of these things, even when the pH is acid.

So in the bodies acid / base balance I think the idea is that a higher intake of basic ions may shift the cellular pH or the urine / saliva in an alkaline direction. Salive and urine pH are the things "they" would point to, not blood or stomach pH.

See this is when I really hate pseudoscience and people who prey on the vulnerable. They take a tiny bit of actual medicine - in this case potassium citrate is prescribed to sufferers of renal calculi because urine with a higher pH reduces size of calculi - and they package it up as a cure all for allsorts.

I guess it's a pretty good business model. Charge people a fortune for bloods and saliva tests and prescribe a diet with no over heads to them and a promise of a cure for all kinds of non-specific maladies. Well you can eat as many cabbages and lemons as you want but it won't make a bit of difference to your blood pH.