Budget High Protein Foods

Options
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some high protein foods ... that aren't red meat, soy or protein powders. I need about 100g protein daily. I googled chicken breasts. Here it says half breast is 92g http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php, but typing it in on MTP it says half breast is only about 30g. Which is correct? Looking up eggs, it says about 15eggs = 100g. I doubt I could eat that many eggs daily. Plus 1600cal way too much LOL. I'm looking for budget ways of hitting my 100g daily protein target. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    No one?
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I make tuna salad with a can of tuna (packed in water), a few hard boiled egg whites, veggies, some pickle relish, and a tablespoon or two of light mayo. It works out to 45g of protein and costs very little to make. I also try to eat a lot of beans. It's easy to add them to soups and stews for some extra protein, and I've even started stretching the meat in some of my meals with lentils to help me keep my grocery budget down.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Beans,
    Dairy especially yoghurt, quark, fromage frais, cottage cheese. ( low cal and high protein)
    Mock meat? Can be a bit pricy, though TVP works out well.
    Nuts? Though they can have lots of fat.
    Also lots of vegies have a fair amount of protein in them.
    Oats. Very cheap good protein.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Cottage Cheese or Cream Cheese. Frozen Fish. Pork Roast. I buy these all on sale.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Did you see how many grams that half chicken breast was when you entered it into mfp? if you look on the website you prived it says half breast(306g)

I chose chicken breast meat only option and set it to 3 x 100 which will obviously give 300g and the protein was 93g
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You will be surprised how much protein you eat by not eating protein-rich foods anyway ie yoghurt 7-10g for a 150 gram pot, egg - 6g etc. Thsi can add up pretty quickly.I tend to have a tin of tuna (30g), chicken breast (30g), protein shake (30g) and 2-egg omelette (12g) as my staple. This is already 102 grams and then you can add in protein from milk, cereals etc.

Today, I have already had a yoghurt (7g), 2 bacon in a roll (20g), cereal (10g), (milk (3g). Thats 40grams before any of the 'staples' I mentioned above!
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Skin off Chicken drumsticks.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and fish are both very high in Protein. I make bean salad with a can of mixed beans and a can of tuna + pasta/noodles/lettuce (whatever) which also has a good kick. Peanut butter, nuts, cheese.. There's protein in a lot of things.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    pork chops are usually cheap at my grocery store.

I also see the often liquid egg whites on sale. They last really well in the freezer so when you see them on sale, buy a bunch of cartons and stick them in your freezer.

The good thing about liquid egg whites is that they can be mixed into other cheap food to up the protein content. For example, black beans, quick oats, brown rice, mashed potato, and even blended/creamy veggie soups. Basically, cook up your dish, keep it on the heat and and then pour in the egg whites while stirring/whisking. It thickens it up and increases the protein but doesn't impact the taste.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Any reason why you're avoiding protein powders? Whey is the cheapest source of protein gram for gram.

That aside, good protein sources that don't break the bank are:
    Tinned fish (tuna, salmon, sardines, mackerel, etc)
    Greek yoghurt (the real stuff, not 'Greek style')
    Cottage cheese
    Egg whites (buy in cartons to avoid having to separate the eggs and waste yolks)
    Turkey
    Edamame and soya 'meats'
    Quorn
    Milk
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    egg WHITES.... look up "two chicks" they make a egg white liquid so you don't have to waste your own eggs.

hemp proteins -- CHEAP.
    pea proteins -- CHEAP
    soy and other textured vegetable proteins.
    tuna
    cod....
    pulses
    ......there is a good, wide range of protein sources. it depends on what you ENJOY
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eggs
    greek yogurt + protein powder
    canned fish
    steak
    milk
    egg powder
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I eat on a budget, but some of my favorite things are chicken breast, greek yogurt, and baked cod. My kids also like to eat tuna... I buy it in the pouches. I am coming around to liking it....