Strength Training/HIIT for Metabolism Maintenance

Options
For those of you on a long weight loss journey, I can not emphasize the importance of resistance training for lean body mass as you lose weight. It's not going to be the calorie burn read out that you get from cardio, but trust me, it is stoking the metabolic fire. Weight loss comes off of the body in not just fat, but muscle as well, so without strength training to cling to as much calorie burning muscle as you can, you are slowly pulling your metabolism down with your weight loss. If you are not sure what to do, invest in some personal training sessions to get you started, it is a worthwhile investment.
A second valuable tool in weight loss is HIIT; high intensity interval training. You may be thinking, no way, I am in no shape for this kind of exercise, but it is a way to really blast calories in a short amount of time. It doesn't have to involve running either. I'm sure you have all heard of CrossFit, this is kind of the base principle of that discipline, but CrossFir or not, this type of interval training can help anyone break through a plateau, or really get the weight loss going. HIIT has a high residual calorie burn after exercise, so you continue to be metabolically active after you exercise, unlike when stepping off of the treadmill and the calorie burn ends. Again, if you are interested, consult a fitness professional. You are all capable of amazing results, and the best results come from the hardest effort. Go out and do it!
(I use MFP to hold myself accountable, not for weight loss, and my background is fitness, and I am a registered dietitian)
I welcome any questions you may have.

Replies