CrossFit and Rhabdomyolysis

Options
ryry_
ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
https://medium.com/p/97bcce70356d

Hmm....This article popped up on my facebook feed and piqued my curiosity. Anyone have any knowledge of the subject?

I would be interested to know how much of it was caused by CrossFit and what was caused by some underlying medical condition.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Haha are you my Facebook friend that just sent me the same) link?

It is not exclusive to crossfit. There has been a few good posts around here about it, hope someone chimes in.

Yes, it is a crossfit joke, in the same vein of scraped shins and ripped calluses in weightlifting, black toenails and puking in running. Poor taste? Probably.

I am not a fan of alarmist, one sided articles like that. Yeah, crossfit is about pushing yourself. The same can be said for any other type of activity. We all know that there is a difference between pushing yourself and being wreckless.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I want to add - underlying medical condition - probably not.
    Caused by crossfit? I don't agree. It was as a result of her workout at crossfit, however, I do not blame crossfit itself.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Sorry for the repeat posts - just wanted to add
    http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/rhabdomyolysis.html

Triathlon, runners, even soccer and rugby players can experience it. "Other studies indicate that rowers and cross-country skiers are susceptible to rhabdo, and some reports have indicated that acute rhabdomyolysis can strike about one out of every 300 military recruits during their first week of training ('Rhabdomyolysis, Myoglobinuria, and Exercise,' Sports Medicine, vol. 6, pp. 93-106, 1988"

Crossfit is just the new kid on the block.
  • ryry_
    Options
    No worries...I tend to agree. I am skeptical anytime something has a "dirty little secret no one wants you to know" about. I have never done crossfit. It's not my thing but I don't really have any negative opinion of it other than its not how I like to train. Playing sports in high school and college I have done physically excruciating workouts similar to what was described in the article but never experienced the condition. Probably got close to heat stroke a few times but got lucky and had no big issues.

The only thing about crossfit that is concerning are SOME of its practitioners. I think the all or nothing pain is gain mentality is a little more rampant in crossfit. Different friend on newfeed posted his session where he vomited and passed out as a badge of honor instead of maybe reevaluating his plan. Like you said, that's not crossfit but it can be part of the mentality. It's probably also specific to the site you are associated with also.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    No worries...I tend to agree. I am skeptical anytime something has a "dirty little secret no one wants you to know" about. I have never done crossfit. It's not my thing but I don't really have any negative opinion of it other than its not how I like to train. Playing sports in high school and college done physically excruciating workouts similar to what was described in the article.

The only thing about crossfit that is concerning are SOME of its practitioners. I think the all or nothing pain is gain mentality is a little more rampant in crossfit. Different friend on newfeed posted his session where he vomited and passed out as a badge of honor instead of maybe reevaluating his plan. Like you said, that's not crossfit but it can be part of the mentality. It's probably also specific to the site you are associated with also.

From what I've read online, it does seem to be more rampant. From my own personal experience - its pretty much the same. Then again, I hang out with Ironman triathletes, and a competitive running club ( I am neither). I know people who push themselves too far no matter what they are doing.
    I definitely agree that awareness should be there. I don't agree with demonizing the entire sport? (I don't know what it would be considered) because of the bad.
  • ryry_
    Options
    No worries...I tend to agree. I am skeptical anytime something has a "dirty little secret no one wants you to know" about. I have never done crossfit. It's not my thing but I don't really have any negative opinion of it other than its not how I like to train. Playing sports in high school and college done physically excruciating workouts similar to what was described in the article.

From what I've read online, it does seem to be more rampant. From my own personal experience - its pretty much the same. Then again, I hang out with Ironman triathletes, and a competitive running club ( I am neither). I know people who push themselves too far no matter what they are doing.
    I definitely agree that awareness should be there. I don't agree with demonizing the entire sport? (I don't know what it would be considered) because of the bad.

Agreed. If nothing else it made me google Rhabdomyolysis because I had not heard of it before and had no idea this was even a possibility!
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Agreed. If nothing else it made me google Rhabdomyolysis because I had not heard of it before and had no idea this was even a possibility!

i tend to associate it with the Insanity program because a few months back i had found several articles online about people who were doing the program and came down with it, apparently the intense plyo every day with little or no rest was the culprit. I guess now that crossfit is the new rage it is the new poster child for Rhabdomyolysis.....

I know that it is a rare occurrence but its still a scary thing to think that while some people think they are getting fit & healthy they really might be doing way more harm than good. It is so important to rest & take breaks as needed.
  • FactumMMA
    Options
    At our gym it;'s all about SCALE! Rhabdomyolysis is most often caused by over exertion, and "negative" lifting. For instance, going down slow on a pull up, and sometimes cause it. I would say avoid "negative" lifts, and encourage less weight while you build strength.

Just remember, if your piss is brown, SEE A DOCTOR!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Good Morning America had a segment this morning on a guy who got this from P90X. I was discussing it with my daughter, who had done P90X in the past, and she sent me the link you posted. I really know little about cross fit. Well, nothing really. But I'm not sure I want to know much after reading this.
  • rlinaresv
    Options
    Bump
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    http://www.sweetlifeericka.com/2013/09/crossfit-doesnt-have-dirty-little.html

http://www.competeeveryday.com/2013/09/crossfitters-eat-young-time/

literature from the other side of the fence.

Honestly any sensationalist, fear-mongering article gets my blood boiling. Unbiased journalism does not exist at all and as a result of this lack of discipline you get the OP article. :grumble: