KALE recipes

Options
I know there is a trick to making Kale tasty... what's your favorite recipe? Looking for a kale chip recipe also.
Thanks!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Fit_Natasha
    Fit_Natasha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just put olive oil and cook garlic in it for few secs, discard garlic, add chopped cale, cover with the lead and cook until it is softened. Add a little bit of vinegar in the end (I tried with all types of vinegar), salt, and pepper. If you would like more flavor, add cooked bacon, ham or mushrooms. I love cale a lot!
  • Jazzabelle100885
    Options
    I tried to make it once with onion, garlic, salt and pepper... Took one bite and threw it out. I want to try again so I will follow this thread...
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Seasoned rice vinegar (Nakito or Nakita or something) makes it really good, steam it and mix the vinegar in at the end. Alot of people add it into soups to get it in their diet but not eat it right out, I have put it in spaghetti and dont even notice it :)
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    SIMPLE SAUTE

I use canola or grapeseed oil for their high heat tolerance.

Chop kale.
    Warm oil to medium in pan.
    Add kale by handfuls, stirring as it reduces.
    Sprinkle a little salt and cayenne pepper.
    Squeeze lemon juice over greens.
    Cover and turn off heat.
    Greens will finish cooking in steam and the lemon with cut the natural bitterness of the greens.

Enjoy!
  • rosielw
    Options
    Kale lasagna is the only way I've had it so far where I like it. Basically use kale and spinach in place of meat, saute it and mix with marinara/sauce. Then layer like you would for regular lasagna.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I've made a kale-mushroom calzone. The below recipe makes 4 calzones, each about 630 - 650 calories.

Crust:
    This is the crust I make at home, however you can use any kind of pizza dough you prefer, as long as it can be folded over the filling.
    1 cup lukewarm milk or water
    1/4 cup melted butter (4 tbs)
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    1 package dry yeast, combined with 1/4 cup warm water (about 110 degrees F) until dissolved
    About 3-1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

In an 8 or 9 inch bowl, combine the lukewarm water or milk, melted butter, salt, and sugar and blend well. Add the dissolved yeast, mix, then add the flour about 1 cup at a time, beating after each addition with a long, heavy wooden spool until smooth. When the mixture gets too stiff to beat, turn out onto a floured surface, add more flour if the dough is very sticky, and knead for several minutes (adding flour as necessary) until the dough is not too soft and not too stiff. Split dough into four equal pieces knead each into a ball. Place the balls on a floured or oiled flat pan , lightly brush the top with oil, cover with waxed paper and let rise while you prepare the filling.

Filling:
    1/2 lb. crimini mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 lb. kale, chopped
    1 medium green pepper, sliced
    1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
    1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tbs olive oil
    oregano to taste
    1 tsp basil
    1 tsp thyme
    salt to taste
    fresh ground pepper to taste
    4 oz Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add the garlic and fry for about one minute (garlic should be sizzling but not browning. Add the peppers and onion. Cook until about 3/4 done. Add the Oregano, Thyme, and Basil. Add the mushrooms. Cook until they are about 1/2 done. Add the kale, salt, and pepper and cook until everything is done. Add more spices if you think they are needed. Set aside.

Final product: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F Grease a flat pan or cookie sheet. On a floured surface, roll each dough ball until it is about 7 or 8 inches in diameter (or whatever works best for your calzone - you will want to keep the dough a little thicker than you would for a pizza so it doesn't break apart if/when you move it to the cooking sheet after filling it... or, just fill it on the cookie sheet). For each calzone: add 1/4 of the filling, and top with 1/4 cup (1 oz) shredded mozzarella. Fold top over to make the calzone, pinching the edge. You can make 4 or 5 grooves in the tip with a knife if you want, but it is not necessary. Place calzones on the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust begins to brown. Top with your favorite tomato sauce and fresh grated parmesan cheese.