Goal Weight

Options
OK friends. Here is my story and my goals. High weight 460. Current weight 364. IN high school and college I was 300-320 playing football. I am 6'1" and considered large frame. My dad was 6'6" and we come from big stock.

My goal weight is 220. Am I being realistic or should I adjust?

I will be ecstatic below 300 but I really don't care what the scale says as long as I am healthy and getting my exercise but I am really looking forward to the 200s again which have not been seen since Middle school.

thoughts?

Replies

• dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

I will be ecstatic below 300 but I really don't care what the scale says as long as I am healthy and getting my exercise but I am really looking forward to the 200s again which have not been seen since Middle school.

I would say take it in steps. The above is a good goal. Your body will tell you what works. Great job so far!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Just keep at it, and use the guy in the mirror as your gauge. Don't worry as much about the scale.

You've done great thus far!
  • cameronwheeler
    Options
    Nothing is unrealistic. For at least 2 years I kept telling myself that if I was to get at 220 I would look amazing and thats all that i would want to get to. If I was 220 I wouldn't have to worry and I would be satisfied. Hell, I was 310 lbs. Well i'm happy to say that in less than 4 months, I went from 310 to my current weight of 218. I lost it pretty fast and I didn't follow a "diet" plan, I ate what I was comfortable with eating. Didn't try anything new except purchasing the same exact foods i always eat, but picking healthier options such as reduced sugar items, low fat, fat free, or instead of deep frying french fries, oven baking them. Remember when I said all that mess about being satisfied being 220? The truth is i'm not satisfied, I feel like I can do better, I set a new goal of 200. I keep telling myself if I was 200 then everything would be perfect. When i'm 200, I want to be 190. You see where i'm going?

220 can be your ultimate goal if you chose it to be. Start with smaller goals. If your 360, keep telling yourself that if you were 300, look how amazing you would look, think about how great you will feel. Use that as your motive. Then once you reach 300, set a goal of 280, once you get rid of that miserable 280, set a goal for 250, then finally 220. Honestly, I believe that in 8-10 months you can do it. Work hard.

Add me as a friend if you need support and someone to talk to if you need help. I was in your shoes, and I was the type of person that you would expect at a 10 year class reunion to look 500 lbs, at least the route I was headed. I am 19 almost 20 and I've decided to change my life around. I don't want to wait til its too late.

Keep up the good work, congrats on your loss already, keep going. You can do it.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

I really don't care what the scale says as long as I am healthy and getting my exercise but I am really looking forward to the 200s again which have not been seen since Middle school.

thoughts?

I would not even think about a number at this point and just concentrate on exactly what you put in your post, that sounds like a awesome place to start!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That sounds completely realistic to me. Your bones will be large now because you've been carrying a lot of mass and they will have grown. But if you aim for 220, you'll know when you close where you should end.

Like everyone said - take it in stages. I never ever thought I'd get to where I am now - I lowered my goal 3 times.

Good luck! You've been doing great. This will save your life and you will feel so much better.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I think it is totally realistic. I weigh less than I did my senior year in high school, and I just go there in 2012.... I am turning 55 next year and all I can say is, take it slow, keep adding activity and get your sleep in . I think the adjustments you have made in picking foods, finding alternative cooking methods are awesome.

Keep up the great taking care of you!
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I found it hard to set an end goal, because I had been overweight since childhood, so could never say "oh well I weighed X amount when I was X years old and I looked great then" because I didn't have that kind of comparison that was possible. So, I picked a random number, 150lbs, as it would put me at BMI 22 which is in the middle of the healthy range. Then I set smaller goals in between, and eventually hit my all time low goal.

Now, I hover between 149lbs (lowest ever seen weight) and 154lbs (if I've had a naughty weekend) but know that I won't put weight back on, as I have a grip on what I can and can't eat, and how much of it is okay.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think 220 is very doable. And hey, once you reach that goal, if you're not satisfied, you can always set a new one! Sending a FR. Let's do this!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I found it hard to set an end goal, because I had been overweight since childhood, so could never say "oh well I weighed X amount when I was X years old and I looked great then" because I didn't have that kind of comparison that was possible. So, I picked a random number, 150lbs, as it would put me at BMI 22 which is in the middle of the healthy range. Then I set smaller goals in between, and eventually hit my all time low goal.

Now, I hover between 149lbs (lowest ever seen weight) and 154lbs (if I've had a naughty weekend) but know that I won't put weight back on, as I have a grip on what I can and can't eat, and how much of it is okay.

And Gemma - you are look fantastic.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am 6-0 in height. I started at 405 pounds and now I'm at 197 pounds. Getting under 200 pounds was my original goal but now I want to work on building more muscle and still lose more fat. Once you get to the 220's, I would suggest looking in the mirror. I started taking monthly progress pictures (one pic with a shirt and one pic shirtless) to see how I look. I think looking at pictures can also be a measure besides a number on the scale. You should definitely aim for a weight measurement under 40 inches since anything over 40 inches can lead to health issues. If you are looking to get a life insurance policy, you will need to be under 200 pounds at 6-0 to get the best possible rate. I suggest focusing on short term goals and then once you get to the 220s, you should reevaluate your goals. Now, I'm focusing more on my fitness goals like reducing my mile swim time.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options

And Gemma - you are look fantastic.

Thank you :).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    Looking too far ahead really doesn't serve you. Take one day at a time. Stop when you're happy, healthy, and able to maintain a food/exercise plan comfortably.