Bathing Suit Shopping SUCKS!!!

Options
So today I went Shopping in preparation for an upcoming trip. I've been feeling great about my progress so far up until this shopping trip. At the start of my "weight loss Journey" I was a size 16 usually and now 32lbs later I'm somewhere between a size 10 & 12 so thats what size swim suits I grabbed to try on. I was so upset that NONE of them fit! I had to go up to a 16 before something fit! I was sooooo depressed. Why do clothing designers (or whoever) make womens clothing sizes SOOOO different between brands and styles! :frown:

Replies

• wendyskitty
    Options
    Yes I would rather swim nude than shop for a bathing suit! Good luck.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience a while back. I left without buying one that time, but eventually found a suit that fit, looked good, and had a size tag that didn't annoy me.

The worse sizing I've ever experienced was when shopping for a wedding dress 6 years ago. I was about a size 18/20 and had to buy a size 24 or bigger. That was not fun!
  • Alexandra888
    Options
    Know what you mean honey... the tops are too small and the bottoms are too big. lol.
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I can't stand even being in a swim suit let alone go shopping for one. Hang in there though.... don't do what I would do and grab for a bucket of ice cream from the pure frustration and dissapointment... swimsuits are not worth it.

Not sure where you are from but try Lands End suits and/or stores. They're nice suits and the sizes are not all screwed up for the most part. Like shoes... some places seem to just have the sizes all messed up imo... like Target kid shoes are always bigger then the ones at payless.

Just think... next time you get a bathing suit it'll be because this one is too big for you. And for now, a pox on swimsuits! They are just terrible in general! Blah!
  • zoey116
    zoey116 Posts: 75
    Options
    I feel your pain! I can't stand even being in a swim suit let alone go shopping for one. Hang in there though.... don't do what I would do and grab for a bucket of ice cream from the pure frustration and dissapointment... swimsuits are not worth it.

Not sure where you are from but try Lands End suits and/or stores. They're nice suits and the sizes are not all screwed up for the most part. Like shoes... some places seem to just have the sizes all messed up imo... like Target kid shoes are always bigger then the ones at payless.

Just think... next time you get a bathing suit it'll be because this one is too big for you. And for now, a pox on swimsuits! They are just terrible in general! Blah!

I've gotten used to being a swim suit as its my work "uniform" It sucked at first but I soon realized I am by far not the largest person there AND I work mostly with (Spoiled) high school kids so even if I were a size 0 I'm sure they could find something to be critical about so I don't pay them any attention. But I am sick of my one "uinform" suit I wanted something different for our trip to FL.

As far as the Ice cream, I guess thats why I kept telling my husband I wanted Cold Stone :blushing: but I didn't b/c we had already been eating out all day and I knew I had already done enough damage for one day :grumble:
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi

Ditto.

This year though I going in the water. I've missed it so much and a bit of sun on the skin.

I bought my costume from the internet. After a lot of shopping around I found the Ester Williams swimwear in retro style. The costume arrived and it was brilliant. There is so much stretch across the tummy area I appeared to have a waist again. I'm from the UK, have a quick look on the site Forluna (it'll come up in your search) and have a look. You will have shops your way but I just don't know them. They are expensive but worth every penny.

Good luck.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Yes I would rather swim nude than shop for a bathing suit! Good luck.

Amen.

Zoey- I managed to get a GREAT Nike two piece (think tankini & skirt) at Kohls for next to nothing this weekend and it was spot on size wise.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I always have to go up about 2 sizes for bathing suits....
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    http://www.oprah.com/style/The-Best-Swimwear-Brands

who knows if Oprah knows or not. but maybe this will help.

bathing suit shopping is always difficult. take a deep breath and focus on your assets rather than what you THINK are your flaws.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    But just think about how awesome bathing suit shopping will be when you're the weight you want to be :)
    I always have a hard time with suits because my chest is rather large for my body size, so I can't buy suits that are a L top and L bottom. It has to be an XL top and a M bottom...
    I finally found a women's swim suit shop that has accurate cup sizes for tops and regular bottoms. Hallelujah! Then, I lost weight and everything is funny sized again. LOL.
    It will always be a battle - the good news is that just means you get to buy more suits!