Juicing... Fat Sick and Nearly Dead

2»

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Vegetable smoothies gross me out and all fruit smoothies do is make me hungry. So as interesting as the documentary was, I'll pass.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    I have seen the program, it didn't make me buy a juicer or try juicing. To each their own.
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is one of the best infomercials out there. Although I've always been a intrigued by the knives that cut through pipes too.

Nothing wrong with making juice. Just don't pretend it's something it's not. If you eat fruits and vegetables normally, you're getting all the benefit with much lower cost.

Yeah, I also enjoy their other infomercials, Forks Over Knives and No Seriously, Guys, We're Trying To Save You, Not Sell Juicers!.
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    I watched the documentary and thought it was interesting but I don't think it's a good way to eat. You will get the same results if you just eat better and limit your calories. I guess you could replace a meal with a liquid one but your body is meant to digest foods in their natural state and not in liquid form. Didn't he say he gained some weight back after starting to eat "real" food again? I think that will happen to anyone. Best to learn to eat the right foods from the beginning (and add some sort of exercise).
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I thought that the movie was good until it got all pro-juicey.

A calorie deficit will cause you to lose weight. If it is more convenient for you to get food in liquid form, try a blender. That way you're not removing a ton of fiber.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    IN. For no protein or fat for a prolonged period of time being deemed a 'good' thing.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    mmmmmmmmmm juiced kale (funny two words that don't seem to go together).

giphy.gif
  • BookMaven79
    BookMaven79 Posts: 41
    We tried it, but the costs of a variety of fruits and veggies was insanely expensive.... something like 20-30 dollars a day, especially in the winter. Completely unsustainable for us. We do juice for breakfast on the weekends, but do that more for nutritional benefit than weight loss, and it is a good way to use up garden veggies at the end of the season. It is also a relatively painless way to get 5 servings of veggies in quickly. My dad juiced 2 meals/day for a month and then ate a sensible supper and had good results, but he gave it up due to expense and fact that cleaning the juicer was a pain. Also, it can be high in calories and sugar unless you are doing primarily vegetables-- a lot of people do nearly all fruit with just a few veggies, and while that is tasty, it is a killer on sugar and calories.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    I watched it. I laughed. I didn't juice.

Is the SAD healthy? No. Do you need to go from one extreme to the other? No. Watch your nutrition, cut your calories if you need to lose weight, but don't make yourself miserable.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    seems like you should get the same or better results by eating real food at the same calorie levels and perhaps taking a multivitamen.

when i first started fitness, i needed this or that placeebo that i ascribed magical powers too. first it was protein powder, then 'fat burner' pills, then extoic diets like Atkins. finally i realized what was really comon sense - only calories in vs calories out matters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    For those who are recommending doing it, what the benefit of adding juice vs. just eating the same foods whole or in smoothie form?

Many juices are a lot more palatable than their source vegetable - I've had some good juices with parsnip or beetroot in them and I couldn't envisage eating either of them raw or pulped in a smoothie.

Ah, I see. I like beets, and have just discovered the pleasures of roasted parsnips. Granted, I've never tried parsnips raw, but maybe I will; it's kind of like a carrot, after all.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    I think juicing can be good but always good to get WHOLE fruits and veggies in as well.

Gerson therapy uses a juicing process to reverse obesity, diabetes and hypertension as well as claims at CURES for cancer. It is very interesting and also involves use of coffee enemas. There is some sense in it regarding potassium intake(which is higher juice or whole fruit anyway) and sodium levels. Not just in consumption or blood but at the cellular level. And thoughts that too much sodium and lack of potassium in the cells is the biggest cause of cancer and other diseases.
  • gunshyangel78
    gunshyangel78 Posts: 24 Member
    I did it for a week and was so ill. I was dizzy, felt faint and was hungry all the time, not to mention to cost of all these fruits and vegetables needed to juice. I also went out and bought a brand spanking new Jack Lalaine juice, the high end one and still I lost so much of the goodness of the vegetables.

That being said, I DO juice every morning for breakfast, usually a green juice, and its under 300 calories. However its all calories in Vs Calories out. Btw, juicing creates glucose spikes so if you're a bigger person you get the added benefit of travelling on the sugar crash rollercoaster! PASS!!!!

Eat more fresh vegetables, fruit and healthy proteins and hang tough, you will lose weight at a more sensible pace.
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    I watched it with my family and found it incredibly inspiring. :smile:
    'That was amazing. That's it! We're juicing!!!! No junk. Only fruit and veg. We're doing this!!!!!' was the reaction of my family. And the intention stuck for about 24 hours. :laugh:
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    I watched it and like all documetaries, I found it high on fear mongering and low on actual substance.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Heh... a "friend" posted a link to this and Super Juice Me on my Facebook page, insisting I watch because I "won't regret it!!"

I regretted wasting an hour of my life.

I kindly replied that this isn't sustainable long term, the chances of gaining back are high, you will lose muscle mass, blah blah etc. Cue absolute fury from said friend as they then claimed these juicing programs, ahem, "cures chronic diseases" and said friend knew people that were cured just by juicing alone.

I lost it. All I did was sit back and back up my statements with facts. Told this person chronic = chronic = FOREVER... you can't cure chronic ILLNESSES, you can CONTROL them, and that's all. I know because I struggled with asthma when I was younger.

Said friend then got her friends/minions to make a public spectacle and tell me to "go back to McDonalds, you fat stupid C U Next Tuesday" etc...you know, all those thoughtful encouraging things 27-29 year olds say.

What is it with SOME (not all..) of the juicing people being so pretentious? Sorry to de-rail here but if you are looking to do juicing, really REALLY research it. CREDIBLE research. Not believe what some bozo taking your money is telling you to believe.

eta..punctuation fail.
  • TheThriftstorian
    TheThriftstorian Posts: 20 Member
    If the good lord wanted us to eat food that didn't require chewing, he wouldn't have given us teeth.

I laughed so hard at this!
    My sentiments exactly.