Is 1200 calories a good amount?

snowrose
snowrose Posts: 5
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Or will it slow down my metab so when I start eating normal (responsibly and healthily but still some treats, not counting cals )

Will end up gaining weigh?

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    It depends. If you are 6 feet tall, I personally wouldn't recommend 1200 cals (though I'm not a medical professional... just someone with experience). I'm 5'6", female, weigh 180 pounds, and I eat 1330 calories a day to lose 1.5 pounds a week.
    If you're only trying to lose 10 pounds or so, I wouldn't do anything near 1200 calories.

Also, when you do hit your goal weight and begin to eat normally, you need to build up. If you are eating 1200 cals to lose weight, then hit maintenance, slowly add in 100 calories a week. So 1200, 1300, 1400, etc- all the way up to your maintenance calories.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    MFPfriend is exactly right - email me your stats (weight/age/height and daily activity level not including exercise - AND what daily exercise you're doing) and I'll get back to you with your numbers. Unless you're tiny - 1200 is mighty low!

Steve
    knightfit.com
  • I am about 170cm (I think)
    F 21 yrs old
    57.5 kg

Not very active - Work in office in front of a computer all day with 1hr train trips each way so tired when I get home cook dinner shower tv bed.

Only exercise - Walking around looking at the shops for my lunch break for just under an hr plus walking from trainstation to work takes about 5 mins both ways so about an hour of walking a day but I wouldnt call it fast walking.

So far I have lost 3kg but hit a stand still but I also havent been very strict with the 1200 cals like I was before!

I wouldnt consider myself over weight but I have a lot of fat around my thighs and bum that needs to go.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member
    Keep in mind that what you eat is important......you should be eating nutrition dense foods and not empty calories

1200 might be a good starting point but the more you exercise, the more calories you need to consume to nourish and energize your body.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    What did the website give you? How fast are you trying to lose weight? Do you *need* to lose weight that quickly?

The website basically gives you your caloric intake minus several hundred calories for weight loss. You have to eat those calories, plus the subtracted weight-loss calories, plus an extra couple of hundred calories to gain weight back.

Generally speaking, your metabolism doesn't respond to a couple hundred calories either way: it's interested in what you're doing more than what you're eating.

If you decide, all of a sudden, just to jump back up to 2200 calories per day (more than just one or 2 days of "oops"), and you've been on your diet for more than about 10 days, yes, you will gain weight. So, if you've go time, go down slowly and go back up slowly.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Re: your trouble spots

Ballet pleas (plee-ays). Busts your thighs and butt. Inner thighs are trickier. Try this exercise:

http://pilates.about.com/od/pilatesmat/ht/ThighLift.htm

10- 15 minutes every night and you WILL see a difference.
  • MFP said 1200 cals..

MFP pal also says: Your estimated BMR is: 1,372 calories/day*

So to lose weight it seems as though I really need to be on the 1200 or im going to be at maintenance weight?
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    MFP said 1200 cals..

MFP pal also says: Your estimated BMR is: 1,372 calories/day*

So to lose weight it seems as though I really need to be on the 1200 or im going to be at maintenance weight?

Your BMR is only the amount of calories needed to sustain life (meaning being in bed all day just breathing- even sleeping burns more calories than just laying there). Maintenance calories include basic functions, like walking to the car, digesting food, breathing, talking, brushing your teeth, etc. That's why most people maintain at around 1800-2200, unless they are very small or very big.
  • Well that makes me feel better I thought going over 1,372 would mean weight gain. Thanks :)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Or will it slow down my metab so when I start eating normal (responsibly and healthily but still some treats, not counting cals )

Will end up gaining weigh?

That's what the maintenance plan is for.

It all depends what the "eating normally" entails, it won't be able to be what you were eating before as that was what got you here in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.