NSV: I can jog?! (also- bonus stairs...)

Options
Not sure if this belongs in Success Stories, or Fitness or in Motivation, but it surprised me today, so I'm posting it in Successes.

A little bit of background, so you can appreciate the "whoah!" I've always been short and fat, but am taking it one day at a time. Walking has been my mainstay so far. Weekdays have comprised of a mile in the morning to the third-nearest station, and two miles at lunchtime. Possibly an extra mile in the evening if it's nice and I feel good. Weekends, a bit more patchy. Either lots or none!

I've been off work for two weeks on holiday, which is nice, but today was back to work time. So I strapped on my walking shoes and headed along the river to the third-nearest station. About two-thirds of my mile in I realised that I'd left my lunch at home. More importantly, I'd also left my crochet. :noway:

Well, what's a girl to do, but turn round and collect her stuff. Only problem was, I was now eating into my "getting to work" time. So, I turned round and I jogged. Now, I don't jog; have never jogged; and, until I got drunk and agreed that I'd do a 5K at undefined point in the future with my sister (who's an ex-marathon runner), I never thought I would jog.

But I picked a riverside pub about 0.3 mile from where I'd stopped and aimed for that. Thought I would make it maybe a quarter of the way? Nope, made it all the way! Three minutes! Three whole minutes of jogging! (and my face looked like this afterward: :mad: *g* )

(Don't worry - the pub wasn't open!)

Walked the rest of the way, getting my breath back and made it back home in less than ten minutes.

Before, I thought I probably wouldn't be able to keep my drunken promise for 2014, that I'd aim for 2015 instead. But that this morning has made me think that I could do it in less than a year. Now I just need to check out C25K!

Bonus stairs: I finally got to work, and headed up the stairs as I have been doing for the past two months. I'm on the fifth floor and usually I split the walk 3 flights, then 2 flights. But today, spurred by my awesome jogging skillz I managed all five in one go! I am legend!

:laugh:

TL:DR: Fat, unfit girl who's never jogged before manages a whole three minutes in extremis and then manages to climb a whole five flights of stairs for the first time evar!!! Walking does work!

Replies

• waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Wow! That'scool! You never know what you can accomplish. Sounds like you are becoming, a phrase I have others use, "A Better Version Of You!' :bigsmile:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Bet you feel amazing. Well done - every step is one in the right direction. C25k sounds a brilliant idea and good luck.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy right now, I walked three miles instead of my usual two at lunchtime. And then I climbed all five flights of stairs again!

My thighs are aching now...

And thanks!
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great job. Amazing what you can accomplish!
  • candytag
    candytag Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!Keep going but pace yourself. Dont try to do everything in a day. I get carried away doing to much and end up hurting myself. Your body needs time to adjust. So proud of you and look forward to seeing more milestones for you.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV! I'm glad you decided to go back for your knitting. You rock!
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I LOVE your story!! And of COURSE you can do that 5k!! You'll have a blast doing it!
  • sharon75uk
    sharon75uk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an amazing day for you.
    I need to walk more :)
  • alwaysgreen17
    alwaysgreen17 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As a girl who is relatively fit but hates running--WAY TO GO! That is terrific! I'm so glad that instead of giving up and saying, "There's no way I will make it work on time...oh, well!" you went for it. You took a stab at it! And look, you flew up a whole bunch of stairs afterwards! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!