New & In Need of Support

Options
Hi there,

I'm 23 years old and have put on 4 stone in a year (AGH) due to having agoraphobia - a fear of leaving the house. I'm desperately looking for some support to get me back in shape, so that I can feel more confident in myself. It's like a constant circle of not wanting to leave the house > feeling fat > not wanting to leave the house > getting fat!

I've tried various diets in the past (including the dreaded Dukan) but am now just concentrating on healthy eating and plenty of exercise.

Not to sure how it works in terms of supporting each other, but if it's possible then I'd love some help.

Thank you!

p.s I should mention that I tried in July, with no luck, so have restarted again as of yesterday. So far, so good. Thanks again x

Replies

• ShannaAutry
    Options
    Hi! I'm young like you, 25, and struggle with depression and anxiety problems. I have about 130 pounds to lose.

My biggest piece of advice is to take it one day at a time. Look at each day as the first day of your diet/lifestyle change. Today is the first day of the rest of your life :)

I'm famous for falling off and jumping back on the bandwagon. I started telling myself the above and it's helping me stick to my daily goals :)

Feel free to add me :)
  • xebnotlaw
    Options
    Hey,

Thanks so much, I've added you! My first goal is 57 pounds and then I'm going to re-evaluate from there - I'm taking each day as it comes. I work from home (running a mental health charity) so it's so easy for me to slip into bad habits.

They say that taking pictures (before, during, now) is a good way of motivating yourself. Is this something you do? I'm thinking about giving it a go but can't even bear to get the camera out at the moment :/
  • carblover79
    Options
    It seems you have reached the point that many of us here on MFP have reached where it is no longer about fast losses, but about finding the healthy way to lose. Congratulations!

I have been on this site for a little over a month and am finding it to be more of a habit than a desire to count my calories. I thought about stopping, but here I am still reading posts and logging my food.

I do remember not wanting to go out because I was overweight and was able to overcome that when I heard someone say "If you are sick of being fat, do something about it." As long as I am out moving in my short shorts and tanktops, I don't care what people think of me. I am finally doing something about it and am proud of that. Be proud that you are making such an important change and flaunt it!

I am always looking for more friends, so feel free to add me.