How much is not enough?

Options
I've been on this weight loss journey since February and I do consider myself new to this. I say this because my experience with weight loss is literally only what I've been able to do in the past 7 months so there is sooooo much I don't know and that I don't have experience with. This brings me to my question for all of you with more experience than I have :D

How much is not enough? Are you happy to sometimes only see a .2 lb difference (or sometimes no change at all) but that overall "weight report line" is still headed in the down direction? When you see others lose at a faster pace to the tune of every two days they are posting a loss or you see they post a 1.5 lbs loss do you feel a little twinge of "gee...perhaps I need to work harder"? So how much is not enough? Is a .2 loss over a week or two enough for you? Are you still motivated even if you lose nothing because you aren't gaining? Or when you see no change or a .2 lb change do you start lowering calories and increasing workouts so you can drop more? Just curious....probably both for those losing .2 lbs at a time AND for those trying to lose more at all costs.....

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale should be thought of as a guideline in your weight loss/health journey, but it does not truly measure all aspects of your success. There are people who even see slight gains on the scale, but their bodies are truly looking leaner and stronger than when they weighed less. The scale does not take into account your body fat percentage decreases and muscle gains. I am happier when I see my measurements changing and my clothes fitting better.

As far as weight loss in general, any loss is a success and everybody loses weight at different rates based on a number of factors. Don't try to compare yourself to others, but work hard for yourself. In the year that I have been on MFP, I have had moments that I thought were "failures," but looking back and seeing my results now, I know that patience and dedication will include ups and downs, but in the end there is success.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Try to get joy out of the little things too, I get super excited when I can run farther than last week of up my weights. Also keep in mind sometimes it looks like people are losing alot but they really are not, its just the way MFP presents things. For example, I was 213.8 on Friday, checked in at 215 on Sat, and then 213.4 on Sunday, well on Sunday MFP says wow CDF lost 1.6 lbs since her last weigh in, well no I didn't really, I might own up to the 0.4 but I had a high day in between that is factoring into the equation when it shouldn't really be.
  • OtherCatt
    Options
    I'm usually happy no matter what. Sometimes the scale says I've lost a pound or two. Sometimes it says I just lost 1/2 a pound. Sometimes it says I've gained. But I'm usually happy because the scale usually tells me only what I deserve.

When I work my butt off and stay strict on my eating, it'll show on the scale. So when I'm lax about exercising and I cheat more than usual, I'm expecting only the 1/2 pound drop. And those times when I let it all go, to be honest, I'm usually happy to see I didn't gain as much as I expected.

July was hectic for me. I had family visiting all month and one of them was my brother in law. He's a chef so he spent the whole time feeding me all these amazing foods. Between his food, eating fast food while on the run and not having time to exercise, I was fully expecting at least a 10 pound weight gain. So I was very happy to see it was only 3 pounds.

I know there's gonna be up weeks and there's gonna be down weeks. But as long as I keep moving in the general down direction, I'm happy.

But the biggest joy I've received on this weight loss journey doesn't come from the scale. A week ago I tried on all my old smaller size jeans and for the first time in almost 2 years, they all fit. That's joy. And yesterday I was able to wear a tight shirt without being self conscious because it was the first time I didn't have a muffin top. That's joy.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I also keep track by taking measurements every 2 weeks. I've had several little stall outs where the scale has been uncooperative recently but I am still shrinking. That keeps me motivated, and the fact that I know I'm getting healthier and in better shape because things that used to be really hard are now easier to do like walking up stairs or some of my barn work. This is about so much more than just a number on the scale.

Oh, and by the way, all scales are evil in my eyes :wink:
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I hope others read this thread and see that obsessing over the "number of pounds lost" is a small part of the journey and that measuring yourself, getting stronger, exercising goals, and other things all spell success too :) I hope the "downward slope" on the weight loss report is enough to remember that whether it was a .2 lb loss or a 2 pound loss during a week that it's all good!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I only have about 10 lbs to lose so I know it will be slow going. -That and as others have said I am gaining muscle, I can tell without the scale. I look in the mirror and see a bicep and a hard tricep forming!

I don't let the scale get me down for the most part. Although I do hate when it fluctuates up, I just push harder!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm 43lbs down in 4 months and still have 20 to go. Last week I lost NOTHING. The week before I lost 1 pound. Yes I would've liked to have lost a pound or two more but I'm not letting it get me down. This week ill keep doing what I've been doing since May and hopefully lose 2 lbs.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I'm all about body measurement. I went through the full 2 months of Insanity and lost no weight. I did, however, lose many inches all over, so it's still a sucess. The scale should not be your only (and perhaps not your primary) yardstick for sucess.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    makes me wish there was a place on profiles to list your "weight loss beliefs" so you could search out others to befriend who believe in the same ideas :) might be more motivational as some people lose weight to have others who have similar beliefs :flowerforyou: