Guessing what I'm going to say isn't new

traney1
traney1 Posts: 9
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok..so I've been dieting and exercising for about 2 weeks, but only started logging it here for one week. My calorie intake recommended seems a bit high (1710), but I'm going with it. I've gone from 199lbs to 200.2. I know it could be muscle weight, but so soon? I usually run 3x a week, and do cardio on the other 2 days.

Last night I still had over 700 calories left over, but didnt need them as I wasnt hungry etc. Will the weight eventually drop? I'm not chubby if you look at me...i have the love handles, and my stomach needs tightening, but overall I wonder if its harder to lose weight when you dont have an excess of it? I'm looking to get to around 190.... Thoughts?

Replies

• RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Make sure you settings are correct for your gender, height and desire to lose.

I discovered after my first week that my settings said I was 5'7'', when I'm definitely only 5'3''. Also, I've seen others on here with the wrong gender setting and they didn't even realize it.

Also, make sure your weight loss goal says lose weight. It's very counter intuitive, but the first selections on the drop down menu are for gaining weight.

Finally, sometimes it helps to make your food journal public so others can give advice on what you could be doing better. For instance if you looked at mine, you'd probably tell me to lay off the sodium. (I'm working on that.) You may not be eating enough of a certain type of calorie, like fruit. Fruit can have a fair number of calories, but they are VERY beneficial to your health.

Hope this all helps.
  • krinio
    krinio Posts: 138 Member
    Are you wanting to lose 1lb or 2lbs per week? I'm 209.6lbs and my limit is 1420? But that's for 2lbs per week so if you were on 1lb it would make sense that your calorie limit is higher.:smile:
    Also, on the topic of gaining a little bit, are you drinking enough water? If you're not getting enough your body can retain water and it will show up on the scales! There have been times this has been 2/3lb gains in my case but then drinking lots and weighing 2 days later I've actually lost weight! It's crazy, I know. But it really makes all the difference! :drinker:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    The OP is male, so 1700 sounds reasonable (without knowing his height or age) for a 2 pounds a week loss. However, you said you only want to lose 10 pounds, so you might want to go with a smaller deficit ie: 500 or so.

And then, I'd give it some time, myself. It takes a week to two to start seeing any changes (for me, it takes 3-4 weeks without cheating, which sucks).
  • traney1
    traney1 Posts: 9
    Ahh ok. I'm 5'10", 40 yrs old. Looking to drop 1 1/2 lbs a week which shouldnt be too terribly hard. Its the switching to light beer on weekends now that is tough!! :P
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    If you don't have a lot to lose, and from what you said you don't, then it isn't going to happen as 1.5 lbs. per week. The closer you are to your ideal weight, sadly, the longer it takes to lose. Even 1/2 lb. a week might not happen at times, but if you keep up your workouts, particulary the strength training, you will tighten up, which will make the weight you are carrying look better. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.