Total body workout or focus on muscle groups?

Options
I've gotten so many different responses from people and my research, but maybe there isn't a right answer.

I have been doing weight lifting and cardio but in a very organized chaos kind of way. I finally have a set work schedule so I want to make a set gym schedule. Im 5'6" about 135. I am an hour glass shape (big boobs and wide hips) with Thick thighs. I need to lose about 10 lbs of fat while toning and building strength. I go to the gym about 5-6 days a week and dont do many activities outside of my work schedule. I have mainly read and been told the following options:

-3 days total body weight lifting/ 2 days cardio
-4 days weight lifting alternating upper body/lower body and 2-3 days cardio
-focus on different muscle groups each day and stick cardio in on days I do upper body (mostly heard from men)

I'm not the type of person to put myself on a strict schedule, I like to decide based on how I'm feeling but obviously that's not gonna get me the results I'm looking for. I really don't like cardio, but I know it's vital for fat loss (which I mainly have on waist and thighs). I've done a pretty good job so far building muscle underneath, but I'm afraid if I do too much cardio I will burn the muscle I have been working on. I love going to the gym and I really have learned to love strength training (still hate cardio). When I work out I try to give 100% so I don't waste time and money. Just wanna make sure I stay on that path as I continue this journey.

So in your best (or hopefully professional) opinion, what would you suggest? Do you have other suggestions?

Replies

• AshleyFBerry
    AshleyFBerry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump. Interested in these responses.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You'll hear a lot of different answers but a good middle ground is circuit training. Doing a full body routine circuit style will turn your weight session into a cardio session. You activate all your major muscle groups which will help burn fat, but also prevent any muscle loss while you're dieting off the extra fat. Also, the high intensity will get your heart cranking and improve your cardio as well.

edit- If you're a smart phone person, try the Sworkit app on iphone/android. Syncs directly with MFP. this is all body weight so it's more cardio than strength but it will get your sweating and give a taste of what circuit training is about. From there you can google/youtube to find a circuit you like that works for you.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Train how you prefer. I've tried several splits and my fave is 3-4 day splits focusing on one major muscle group and one smaller accessory group (per workout). That's typical bodybuilding. It's good to alternate strength/aesthetics training every couple months or so, imo.

Currently, I'm doing Stronglifts with my own modifications. So I'm alternating 2 workouts 3x's a week. It's all major lifts. I wouldn't mind doing this every few months.

So whatever your goals are, workout for that.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, but was really hoping for more input!
  • kingingkunsan
    Options
    To really shed weight you need a mix of cardio and strength training. I do full body strength training 5 times a week (M,T,W,F,Sat) but before I hit the weights I warm up with light cardio. Usually rowing machine for 5 minutes. To avoid building too much muscle mass I suggest three sets for each muscle group and 20 repetitions. I have a routine already made if you would like a copy just let me know.
    I cardio train on M,W,F,Sun which consists of any one of the following (i mix it up constantly) 1. run track laps for time, i usually aim at 2 minute laps and I perform at least 8 laps. 2. On a track Sprint the straights and walk/jog the curves. Again at least 8 laps. If you do not have a track near you or prefer to run on sidewalk or road then use light poles to signal your sprint/walk cycles. I would sprint 2 light poles and walk/jog two. But it is up to you. 3. Timed 1.5 mile run ( I am in USAF and like to know where I am so I know I am ready for my PT test). 4. Distance run of at least 3 miles at a comfortable pace.
    Finally, I am no expert and suggest seeking Dr advice before starting any routine. I take no responsibility for injuries or anything else related the routine or your decision to utilize it. I think it is sad that I feel I have to include that statement. You never know though
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Just pick anything and get started. Once you have some experience with a particular method you can try other methods until you know what you enjoy and you know what works for you. You might not have the experience to design your own method but there are several good starting routines, so give any of them that sound interesting a go.

You don't have to get it right the first time, just get out there and get to it.

Good luck!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to preference and what will you actually do and CONTINUE doing long term. It doesn't matter if one program is 10% more optimal than the other, it only matters that you follow through.

Having said that, almost any lifter, ESPECIALLY beginners, will have better luck and faster progress doing full-body routines. Stronglifts is pretty much the quintessential beginner program along with Starting Strength (very similar). Most people that tend to gravitate towards multi-day splits only do so once they have been lifting for years.

But again, if you don't like doing full-body work 3x a week, then try something else. You can't get any progress from a program that you won't do because you don't enjoy it.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I'm not sure what answers you're looking for. What have you been doing for a workout so far?

Also I'm not quite sure what you mean by not wanting to be on a "strict schedule" and that you typically decide based on how you're feeling? Does that mean that you'll do a full body workout one day, then the next you might do some legs, then the next you're feeling like you want to do bi's . . .? (I might be misunderstanding what you were saying there).

Full body lifting is great if you're crunched on time. I used to do those for that very reason. M-W-F I would do a full body routine, 3 exercises per muscle group; 10-12 reps and that took me about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. Tues-Thurs I did cardio.

Now I focus on one muscle group each day and alternate legs and abs (so today was bi's/abs. Tomorrow will be chest/legs; Wed: back/abs etc.). I do 30 min. of cardio before my lifting as well. Total time in the gym is 75-90 minutes. I personally prefer the isolation exercises vs. compound because I like to concentrate on the muscle that I am working and really work it hard. I have been working out this way for quite a while now and I prefer it. I don't feel rushed. When I was doing the full body workout -- and again I wasn't so concerned about compound movements. I was focusing on one muscle group so I'd do back then bi's then shoulders then chest, tri's and finished up with legs (I also worked abs in at the end of each "group" that I did so it'd be back/bi's abs. etc). because I had limited time my eye was constantly on the clock and I felt like I was rushing the exercises. Even if I have limited time now I still feel as though I'm getting a good workout in because I am concentrating on one muscle group.

Again, not quite sure what answers you're looking for. I guess the main thing is to do what you feel is going to keep you interested and going to the gym.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Oh and to answer the other question you alluded to, you don't have to do any cardio at all. It's not vital for fat loss at all. Focus on your diet, follow some kind of decent strength training program THAT YOU ENJOY and enjoy your results.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I just got back into doing the circuit after a two month break. I've been doing it since I was in college...so I get burned out quite easily these days, but I know it's essential for changing the shape of my body and firming up. Cardio can only get me so far, plus I have a knee issue going on so don't want to push that. My goal is to do 10 min on the treadmill to warm up and then do the circuit 3x/wk for about 4 weeks. Then when I'm back up to my weights from two months ago, I'll then go to 2x/wk and add in more cardio again. I also do tennis 1-3x/wk consistently so that also hits my cardio goals. I also have to focus more on my diet...not going over 2000 cal/day. I also want to lose about 15-20 lbs so I really need to keep it to more like 1700-1800 which is my downfall. I tend to go way over that a couple days/wk which I really think hinders any real loss. Work in progress!!! :wink:
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would start the 3 days strength/2 cardio routine. Heavy strength training helps maintain lean muscle while burning fat. It also is great for bone health long term.

Check out Strong Lifts 5X5 or NROLW for some great beginner insight.
  • tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh and to answer the other question you alluded to, you don't have to do any cardio at all. It's not vital for fat loss at all. Focus on your diet, follow some kind of decent strength training program THAT YOU ENJOY and enjoy your results.

Also, THIS^
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Just to throw a wrench in your logic OP:

Cardio doesn't burn muscle, calorie deficits do.

OP, if I were you here's what I would do.

Either:
    Do a short cardio interval workout AFTER you get done with weights. Think 15-30 minutes.

or

Do your weights in the morning and cardio at night same day. You can get in 4 weight training days a week and 4 plus cardio days a week. (although I would do light cardio after a leg intense day)

Like another poster said, you actually don't have to do cardio for fat loss if your diets in line. Sure, it helps your cardio vascular system to get stronger but so does lifting. If you don't enjoy it then you could just always slash the calories from your diet you would have burned from the cardio and net the same fat loss result minus the benefits from running.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I do a split: upper body and then lower body, 2 days of each a week (circuit-paced). I do cardio (dance) after. The other 3 days a week I do what I like, as long as I get at least one rest day and I'm not lifting the same parts back-to-back.

So I lift both upper and lower body in a full-body way often, depending on what I choose to do those 3 days.

OTOH, a lot of weeks I just do the 3rd possible day of upper or lower body (or both 3rd days). If I do both days, there is only one rest day a week. I hope that's easy to follow :) It allows me both structure and flexibility, imho. I do always lift body parts twice a week minimum. I don't like less than that for me.

I can't say what I do on Mondays, though, for example, because my rest days, etc. float around to fit what I've described.