Should I go back to eating crappy??

Options
I have been tracking on MFP for almost a year and a half now. I joined originally because I wanted to slim down a little bit before my wedding. Within 6 months I had lost 10 pounds by doing the whole 1200 calories per day plus a little gym time, eating back those calories. I was completely novice in that my 1200 calories included things like Lean Cuisine, Raisen Bran, chips, cookies, and beer if I could fit it into my calories. My gym time was well wasted 3 times a week being typically a 10 minute walk on the treadmill to warm up and some random weight machines. Somehow I managed to lose 10 pounds and look great on my wedding day (which of course I'm thankful for). After losing those first 10 lbs and learning more and more thru the message boards here, I was completely motivated to continue to eat right and get fit. In January I decided to do P90X. This is where everything starts to go down hill.....

Once I started P90X, I followed their recommended calorie intake and ratios. I gained 3 pounds and lost no inches within the first month. I hung on to those 3 pounds the entire 90 days. Of course I felt my strength and endurance increase so at least I was happy with that. At this point my focus wasn't on losing weight any way, it was about getting into shape. Within a month of starting P90X my stomach issues started. I became extremely irregular and bloated. Since January I have adjusted my calories and ratios so many times. I've lowered my calorie intake, I've increased my calorie intake, I've raised my protein, lowered my protein, focused on my fiber only coming from fruit and vegetables, then switching to IBS guidelines for fiber. My stomach issues have contined to worsen since January. I haven't felt good in months. I have been diagnosed with IBS and thought I was doing better with it but have been sick as ever the past week or so. So I'll go ahead and fast forward: Since last year at this time I have taken huge steps toward eating better and exercising intensely and:

Have gained 5 of the 10 pounds I lost initially, and gained:
1" Waist
1" Hips
.8" Arms
1.8" Chest
1" Pooch (muffin top I guess you might call it) :ohwell:
.5" Thighs
.8" Calves

I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANY MORE!!! :sad: :sad: Help me! :brokenheart:

Replies

• nicolepope11
    Options
    Maybe you should talk to a nutritionist? They can help you witha diet that will work with your IBS and help you lose weight. Your regular doctor may be able to suggest one for you.
  • kimberly428
    Options
    Is there a diet with P90X?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Is there a diet with P90X?

There is, you get "blocks" of food you have to eat
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    When I was lookling for a program to do I was told Power 90X was to build muscle and endurance so I looked at Insanity but my fitness level wasn't quite where it needed to be for Insanity so a Beach Body coach suggested I start with Turbo Fire. It was perfect for me and it's more cardio to lean you out. In saying all that you've probably gained muscle.
  • aehenson
    aehenson Posts: 86
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • shardi01
    Options
    We did a weight loss challenge at my work in January. I dropped 15 lbs in the first 2 months, but slowly started to bloat and have "issues" going to the bathroom. I slowly started gaining a little weight back. After investigating my diet closely with my doctor, we noticed that I was taking in waaayyyy too much fiber for the little fat I was eating. I was going over my daily fiber intake in just the foods I was eating. On top of that, I was taking a fiber pill since that is what you do if you can't go..right? I slowed down my fiber intake and let myself splurge 2x a week with some fattening foods and feel so much better. No more bloating or "issues". The diet has a huge roll (no pun intended) in the entire process.

Don't give up, just let yourself have a free day a couple days a week to kind of shock your body.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    We did a weight loss challenge at my work in January. I dropped 15 lbs in the first 2 months, but slowly started to bloat and have "issues" going to the bathroom. I slowly started gaining a little weight back. After investigating my diet closely with my doctor, we noticed that I was taking in waaayyyy too much fiber for the little fat I was eating. I was going over my daily fiber intake in just the foods I was eating. On top of that, I was taking a fiber pill since that is what you do if you can't go..right? I slowed down my fiber intake and let myself splurge 2x a week with some fattening foods and feel so much better. No more bloating or "issues". The diet has a huge roll (no pun intended) in the entire process.

Don't give up, just let yourself have a free day a couple days a week to kind of shock your body.

This is very interesting. I have been wondering if my fat intake has anything to do with my issues because I have my fat set to 20%... which is pretty low I believe. My reasoning for the low fat intake is because I don't have a gallbladder... I do splurge some on the weekends although I have been a lot better about it lately because I'm trying not to upset my stomach. Here are a few things that have crossed my mind:

My body isnt used to eating this "healthy" because I was raised on crap food. I have never been overweight but have always been a junk food junkie. We were poor growing up and I ate a lot of Hamburger Helper and the like.

I eat SOO healthy during the week - the first sight of something unhealthy on the weekend screws me up.

My body is holding on to the crappy weekend food.

My gallbladder removal has done something to my digestive system.

Not getting enough fat

Getting too much protein

I drink plenty of water- really the only thing I drink other than tea and a little beer on the weekend.

I've always had a bloated belly. I remember being 7 years old and my sister telling me to quit sticking my stomach out. I wasn't sticking it out. If I don't suck it in all day I literally look 5-6 months pregnant. My dad has a big hard belly too?
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hillary, that sounds like such a whirlwind. I can relate to weightloss frustration, as can many of us. I would speak to a doctor again about your concerns and also consult with a nutritionist. I have my settings at 50%carb, 30% protein and 20% fat. Are you getting HEALTHY fats? peanut butter, OIL. Healthy fats will get things moving. Its funny but I think of them as lube to get things flushed out. If you are getting fats from red meat, dark poultry, eggs, try switching it to leaner protein and use EVOO on salad, to cook with, etc to get your fats in.

I agree with PPs about fiber. I have not looked at your diary (is it public? if not, you should make it so, if you don't track in it, start, so we can see it). Too much fiber can backfire. Are you on any medications? I was on an anxiety med for 2 years and when I came off I realized that my pooping issues were all gone. I used to have to take 5 colace pills and a cup of "dieter's tea" to get things moving hardcore and it was not pretty. Apparently the medication was known to cause stuffage-uppage as I call it, and I did not research it until afterward because I did not put 2 and 2 together.

I am not familiar with IBS so I cannot comment on that. As for P90X. I too have heard that people bulk up. Try something less intense for a while but that still uses strength. I just added Jillian Michael;s 30Dshred to my running outdoors and elliptical indoors routine and feel so much better already. Your body is probably permanently retaining fluid from the high fiber and intense workouts.

With proper adjustments I have hope that you can lose that pesky 5 lbs and tone up!
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I also have IBS, and it's all a matter of figuring out what works for you. Definitely consult a nutritionist. You may also explore whether you are intolerant towards certain foods. I eat almost no dairy now (a little cheese), and use almond milk instead. Nuts are great, but I have a difficult time with those, too. I don't eat much bread either; I feel awful when I eat much of it. I am very careful about sodium (if you aren't already tracking it, start today), and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Start tracking how you feel along with your food diary and see if you can see a pattern between what you eat and how you feel on different days. Good luck and feel better soon!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Hillary, that sounds like such a whirlwind. I can relate to weightloss frustration, as can many of us. I would speak to a doctor again about your concerns and also consult with a nutritionist. I have my settings at 50%carb, 30% protein and 20% fat. Are you getting HEALTHY fats? peanut butter, OIL. Healthy fats will get things moving. Its funny but I think of them as lube to get things flushed out. If you are getting fats from red meat, dark poultry, eggs, try switching it to leaner protein and use EVOO on salad, to cook with, etc to get your fats in.

I agree with PPs about fiber. I have not looked at your diary (is it public? if not, you should make it so, if you don't track in it, start, so we can see it). Too much fiber can backfire. Are you on any medications? I was on an anxiety med for 2 years and when I came off I realized that my pooping issues were all gone. I used to have to take 5 colace pills and a cup of "dieter's tea" to get things moving hardcore and it was not pretty. Apparently the medication was known to cause stuffage-uppage as I call it, and I did not research it until afterward because I did not put 2 and 2 together.

I am not familiar with IBS so I cannot comment on that. As for P90X. I too have heard that people bulk up. Try something less intense for a while but that still uses strength. I just added Jillian Michael;s 30Dshred to my running outdoors and elliptical indoors routine and feel so much better already. Your body is probably permanently retaining fluid from the high fiber and intense workouts.

With proper adjustments I have hope that you can lose that pesky 5 lbs and tone up!

First, I love the picture in your ticker! :laugh:

I went ahead and set my diary to public. It is pretty thorough except I don't count my water. I drink probably more than 120 oz per day.

After 120 days of P90X I started to back off a little bit. Since I wasn't losing the weight I thought if I kind of went back to eating lighter and exercising lighter I might shed a little... nope.

I have seriously considered seeing a dietician... My general doctor would think I was crazy if I came to him with concerns about losing weight. I'm smack dab in the middle of healthy when it comes to BMI and Body Fat Percent. Thanks for your advice!
  • VolatileChocolate
    Options
    http://www.ibstreatmentcenter.com/3.htm

You might find this useful - there can be a number of causes for IBS from allergy, food tolerance or bacterial infection.
    this site also explains why certain things don't work. Have found it very helpful as a IBS sufferer.

xUna
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Don't give up. I also have IBS, and it's all a matter of figuring out what works for you. Definitely consult a nutritionist. You may also explore whether you are intolerant towards certain foods. I eat almost no dairy now (a little cheese), and use almond milk instead. Nuts are great, but I have a difficult time with those, too. I don't eat much bread either; I feel awful when I eat much of it. I am very careful about sodium (if you aren't already tracking it, start today), and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Start tracking how you feel along with your food diary and see if you can see a pattern between what you eat and how you feel on different days. Good luck and feel better soon!

I'm honestly not trying to give up. I'm just wondering if I should incorporate some of my old food habits back in to my weekly diet so when I do eat those things they don't kill me? I KNOW I feel the worst when I eat anything junky on the weekend and it continues into the first part of the week. By the end of the week of eating strictly healthy I start feeling better and less bloated. The truth is I will not ever be able to completely stay away from "junk food" unless I lock myself in the house all weekend. Which - I did a couple weekends ago... :ohwell:

I've stopped eating dairy - only thing I've added back is probiotic yogurt. I also take a probiotic pill along with multi-vitamin... My sodium is in check.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

I'm honestly not trying to give up. I'm just wondering if I should incorporate some of my old food habits back in to my weekly diet so when I do eat those things they don't kill me? I KNOW I feel the worst when I eat anything junky on the weekend and it continues into the first part of the week. By the end of the week of eating strictly healthy I start feeling better and less bloated. The truth is I will not ever be able to completely stay away from "junk food" unless I lock myself in the house all weekend. Which - I did a couple weekends ago... :ohwell:

I've stopped eating dairy - only thing I've added back is probiotic yogurt. I also take a probiotic pill along with multi-vitamin... My sodium is in check.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Have you tried giving your body a rest for a few weeks? Work your way up to maintenance and relax the exercise for 2-3 weeks, then go back to eating at a (small) deficit and working out?
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Have you tried giving your body a rest for a few weeks? Work your way up to maintenance and relax the exercise for 2-3 weeks, then go back to eating at a (small) deficit and working out?

Something to consider...
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on the P90X nutrition plan as well. My body only does well on low carb / whole foods eating. I know it's a dirty word here, but I continue to go back to Atkins style eating and stay VERY mindful of carb intake while eating moderate protein and generous dietary fat. It's the only way I can realistically manage my weight. I can do all the running and lifting in the world, but if I carb-load and follow a typical restricted calorie diet, ha ha, the weight ain't gonna come off. And believe me, I've tried that route time and time again to only find failure.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I gained weight on the P90X nutrition plan as well. My body only does well on low carb / whole foods eating. I know it's a dirty word here, but I continue to go back to Atkins style eating and stay VERY mindful of carb intake while eating moderate protein and generous dietary fat. It's the only way I can realistically manage my weight. I can do all the running and lifting in the world, but if I carb-load and follow a typical restricted calorie diet, ha ha, the weight ain't gonna come off. And believe me, I've tried that route time and time again to only find failure.

What is considered "generous" dietary fat?
  • elipticallover
    Options
    So I am no expert, but it seems like you gained muscle... do you know your before and after in terms of BMI and BF%... I am sure these went down on the program. I think in terms of the exercise you should focus on more cardio. and less weights... possibly some yoga or pilates? I think a cheat day here and there is good too.... this is a lifestyle and a day or two a month when you let go a bit is okay in my book :smile:
  • elipticallover
    Options
    ps. I might also try a low carb, higher fat diet... rememeber no plan works ofr everyone and we need to spend time to figure out what feels best for us! good luck! don't give up... if it makes you feel better I feel like a cheese puff right now :laugh:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    So I am no expert, but it seems like you gained muscle... do you know your before and after in terms of BMI and BF%... I am sure these went down on the program. I think in terms of the exercise you should focus on more cardio. and less weights... possibly some yoga or pilates? I think a cheat day here and there is good too.... this is a lifestyle and a day or two a month when you let go a bit is okay in my book :smile:

I know I've gained some muscle because I can see it and tell a difference in my strength. The problem is I don't think I have lost any fat. Therefore making me wider and heavier... Why can't I burn the fat off?

I do yoga every morning also.