Passport Question for International Travelers

Options
karllundy
karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
I am scheduled to travel from US to India in November. This will be my first trip abroad since before I lost ~100 lbs. My passport is 7 years old and has a photo when I was at my peak weight, which is about 115 lbs more than now. I am wondering if anyone else has done this and run into issues with their passport. I really do not want to have to get a new one, but will if I need to.

Any insight or experienced input would be appreciated!

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It's not mandatory to do this in the UK (don't know the specifics of US law), but you would be well advised to change your passport even if it is still in date.

The reason for the photograph is to identify you as the passport holder, and if you look so different, you may run into problems in immigration both in India and on your return to the US. At the very least, it 'll be a bunch of hassle you don't particularly need.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump :) I have wondered this as well... ;)
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    No worries. They know who you are. You may need a Visa though, which will require updated photo's.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I agree... Get a new one. It is just not worth the hassle.
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    No problem they are use to weight and other changes like from brown hair to grey within a 7 year period. However you might run into a requirement that since your passport is 7 years old you will not have the required time left on it to use it. Many countries require a passport with at least 180 days left on it.
  • ChetThaker
    ChetThaker Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Haven't got any experience per se and technically you shouldn't have to get your passport changed since it's still valid. However, this is India you are travelling to and Immigration can be painful at the best of times without you having to convince someone that it really is you in the picture on your passport.

I had an issue in Singapore once where just my appearance had changed since my passport photo was taken and the Immigration guy at first didn't think it was me. He consulted his colleague next to him and while they were both comparing the photo and my face for a minute or so I broke out into an incredulous smirk which happened to be similar to my smile on the passport photo and they then believed me.

My recommendation would be to get a new one done to say you a lot of hassles because you may need your passport for identification in other places while you are there and will get tiresome trying to convince everyone it really is you.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Taken straight from the State Department's website....

Q:Do I need to take a new photo if I recently dyed my hair a new color or grew a beard?a:New photos are only required if your appearance has significantly changed from what is in your photo. Growing a beard or coloring your hair would not constitute a significant change. If you can still be identified from the photo in your current passport or visa application, you do not need to apply for a new passport or submit a new photo for your visa application. However, you may have to apply for a new passport or submit a new photo for your visa application if you have: •Undergone significant facial surgery or trauma
    •Added or removed numerous/large facial piercings or tattoos
    •Undergone a significant amount of weight loss or gain
    •Made a gender transition

The acceptance of your photo is at the discretion of the U.S. passport agency where you apply for a passport or U.S. embassy or consulate where you apply for a visa.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotoreq/photofaq/photofaq_5291.html

Have a wonderful trip to India!!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I just researched passports (in the US) not too long ago when I got married and changed my name. Major changes facially (piercings, tattoos, or weight gain/loss) are considered major enough to warrant a new picture... which would probably require you to renew as a whole.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    India requires a visa which has a current photo so you should be OK. I've just come back from a week's business there at the weekend and though I've lost quite a bit since since the photo in my passport and got older, no-one questioned it. However, if you're concerned get a new passport, the only thing you have to lose is money!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great feedback! I think I will go ahead and renew, just to prevent being stuck in customs trying to explain myself. I have a five year visa to India, but it is two years old, just before I started my current weight loss.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If you get a new passport, then you will have to get a new visa. I would check the lead times. I doubt that you will get both of those items (Visa, and passport), in less than 10 or twelve weeks combined, unless you go to the consulate yourself, and/or pay big expediting fees. I would let it ride, and go as is. But that is just me.