goal weight but...

Options
So im 5'5 and i reached my goal weight of 160 pounds. Im the size that i want to be but i still have a stomach of fat. Should i keep doing cardio to get rid of it and maybe lose more weight or should i start doing strength training to try and get rid of it?

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I would do more strength training and just a couple days of cardio.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Inb4 "OHMYGAHD, DUMP CARDIO NOO AND JUST STRENGTH TRAIN! BARBELLS 4 LIFE! ABS ARE MADE IN DA KITCHAHN!"

But those people are right. However to reveal abs you need to lose fat which happens at a calorie deficit, which can definitely be helped with cardio. But apparently awesome abs happen via strength training.
    I don't know if this is true cause I look like the Michellin Man's parasitic twin.
    I have nothing else to add.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with the more strength training. But you might need to lose more body fat to completely get rid of it.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and weigh anywhere from 131 to 135. At 160 you are still considered overweight. My first goal was 150 then when I got there I decided that I still had middle. So I went to 140. Got there and decided that yep I still had middle. Now at 131 I dont have middle so much. I decided that I would aim for the middle of a healthy BMI that way I have wiggle room. Right now Im smack dab in the middle. To get rid of your middle I would say you need to loose more weight. No amount of strength is going to tone fat. You can loose overall then strength train but you cant spot reduce. Its been proven that spot reducing doesnt work and the middle section (and on me thighs) are the very last to go. Good luck :)
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yup bacically got to lose much more. Its a common thing, the weight you get down to the size you want to be is far more than the weight you need to be to lose the fat you want to shift.

You should do the Strength Training, just so you maintain the shape/size you want to have once you've lost the stomach fat.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Why not do both?
    Do cardio for 2 days, and lift heavy things up for 2 days?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd do strengh training and try to lose more weight. I'm 5'5" and 153 lbs and I still have quite a lot of fat in my stomach... trying to lose 18 lbs more.
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'5" and about 140 and still have some belly weight. You need to lower your body fat percentage to see your middle go away. I recommend weights as it will tone you up, you will lose inches, look smaller, and you will burn more calories just by doing normal things, but you should also do some cardio just for plain weight loss. And watch your diet. It's a process; Hope all goes well!
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Change your goal. If you made it to this one, you can make it to your next. Why would you want to stop when you are still overweight and not happy with your body? Ideal is 125lbs for 5'5".
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Change your goal. If you made it to this one, you can make it to your next. Why would you want to stop when you are still overweight and not happy with your body? Ideal is 125lbs for 5'5".
    Agree! I'm 5'4" and started at 153.8 lbs. My first goal was to lose 20 lbs and get back to where I was before having kids. When I reached that weight, I set a new goal, because I knew that I was not happy with my body back then before I had kids, so I changed my goal to 125. I have now reset my goal for the 3rd and final time to 120. When I get there, I will move into maintenance.

I am oh so much happier with the way my body looks now than what it did at 133! I can see my abs (not quite the 6 pack, but close), definition in my shoulder, biceps and triceps, my saddlebags are nearly gone and my inner thighs just barely touch when standing with my feet together.

Set a new goal for yourself and keep going. You won't regret it, but if you stop now short of the body you really want to see in the mirror, you will!

PS. Congrats on making it this far!!! Phase I of the new you done, now on to Phase II......:drinker:
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Keep a healthy balance of both. It won't hurt to lose a few more pounds, you're at a healthy weight and will be if you happen to do so. But yes, you should be strength training regardless for your health -- and it will also transform your body's shape and rev your metabolism.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    So im 5'5 and i reached my goal weight of 160 pounds. Im the size that i want to be but i still have a stomach of fat. Should i keep doing cardio to get rid of it and maybe lose more weight or should i start doing strength training to try and get rid of it?

Unless you're quite "big boned," I wouldn't expect to lose that stomach at your weight.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Im 5"5 too and weight 146lbs and my goal is 127-130lbs as when I was that weight before my boys I was happy with my size and shape so Im hoping I will be again. My lowest I want to go is 120lbs and have a little wiggle room of 5lbs or so. Maybe just keep losing bit by bit and keep exercising and see how it takes you x