Heavy Lifting Has Gotten Me Uncomfortable!!!

Options

Replies

• BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I think my protein should be set more around 80-90grams per day, then i will be able to meet target and eat the foods i wanna eat. Also, what's wrong with TDEE - 25-30% - still should lose weight and acheive body recomp by lifting heavy. Im not really that active anymore on day to day basis. Office 5 days a week, 3 days lifting, 1 day cardio.

If you reduce your deficit to10-15% by eating more protein, you can continue eating what you want, plus a little more, and better fuel your recovery from strength training. Decreasing your protein target to make your current macro intake look like you are hitting goal does nothing more than hide the issue. You mention in multiple threads and on your profile that your deficit target is 300-500 calories. Yet in looking at your diary only 11 days this month did you even hit a 500 or less deficit, most days your deficit was higher. Additionally, only 14 days this month did you hit at least 80 grams of protein, so even if you reduce your protein target to 80-90 you still did not hit that reduced target 40% of the time. This may sound harsh, but your problem is within yourself. If you can't be honest with yourself and determined to hit your objectives, then you are simply wasting the time of those here who are willing to provide guidance and support. Fix your diet, continue lifting, and see where you progress after 4-6 weeks. Otherwise half effort and excuses will not accomplish anything.

I don't see how hitting macros are so important! I really thought i could still get results with what im doing. Eating at a deficit and lifting heavy.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I think my protein should be set more around 80-90grams per day, then i will be able to meet target and eat the foods i wanna eat. Also, what's wrong with TDEE - 25-30% - still should lose weight and acheive body recomp by lifting heavy. Im not really that active anymore on day to day basis. Office 5 days a week, 3 days lifting, 1 day cardio.

If you reduce your deficit to10-15% by eating more protein, you can continue eating what you want, plus a little more, and better fuel your recovery from strength training. Decreasing your protein target to make your current macro intake look like you are hitting goal does nothing more than hide the issue. You mention in multiple threads and on your profile that your deficit target is 300-500 calories. Yet in looking at your diary only 11 days this month did you even hit a 500 or less deficit, most days your deficit was higher. Additionally, only 14 days this month did you hit at least 80 grams of protein, so even if you reduce your protein target to 80-90 you still did not hit that reduced target 40% of the time. This may sound harsh, but your problem is within yourself. If you can't be honest with yourself and determined to hit your objectives, then you are simply wasting the time of those here who are willing to provide guidance and support. Fix your diet, continue lifting, and see where you progress after 4-6 weeks. Otherwise half effort and excuses will not accomplish anything.

I don't see how hitting macros are so important! I really thought i could still get results with what im doing. Eating at a deficit and lifting heavy.

Not "thought", think. Thought implies you have adapted your opinion. You have not. Results doing what you are doing, yes. The results you want? Doubtful. If you are having enough soreness and stiffness issues only 3 weeks into the Stronglifts progression to warrant posting about it online, then one of 2 things is likely to happen. 1. You stall out really quickly and claim that lifting heavy is too hard/not for you. 2. You give up because you can't handle the loads that Stronglifts will progress you to in the coming weeks, because you chose not to learn how nutrition and macros aid in the recovery your body needs to pick up that barbell again in 2 days. Even if 80 grams of protein is sufficient (which, based on your body weight and selection of workout program is unlikely), you STILL aren't hitting that most days. Your body needs protein if you are lifting heavy, the amount of protein varies from person to person, but selectively deciding to not see the importance of macros is willful ignorance. The last part of your comment is actually correct. Eating at a deficit and lifting heavy. But the components of both are just as important. Eat 1500 calories of Cheetos daily, and only do bench press for a month. You will be eating at a deficit and lifting heavy, lets see how the results end up.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Okay, anybody agree that 80-90grams of protein is sufficient for me? 150lbs female, 5'9" lifting heavy by doing Strong Lifts 5x5.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Okay, anybody agree that 80-90grams of protein is sufficient for me? 150lbs female, 5'9" lifting heavy by doing Strong Lifts 5x5.

You are still missing the point. It may be sufficient, but you are still NOT eating that much. So it doesn't matter if it is sufficient, if you don't even hit that level. My whole point revolves around the fact that, based on your diary, you are not hitting any goals. You are consistently under the calorie target you claim to have, and are consistently under the protein target you had set, as well as the "updated" target you are considering. First step for you, before anyone can help you further, is to understand what your goals should be, set them, and then consistently hit them. At that point you can reasses. Or, you can choose to seek validation of your current activities to make yourself feel better.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options

I would think 105 grams or so would be better. That is .7 per pound of bodyweight which is probably pretty close to the 1 gram per pound of lean weight.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I think you should give up.

giggle.gif

*giggle*
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

You are still missing the point. It may be sufficient, but you are still NOT eating that much. So it doesn't matter if it is sufficient, if you don't even hit that level. My whole point revolves around the fact that, based on your diary, you are not hitting any goals. You are consistently under the calorie target you claim to have, and are consistently under the protein target you had set, as well as the "updated" target you are considering. First step for you, before anyone can help you further, is to understand what your goals should be, set them, and then consistently hit them. At that point you can reasses. Or, you can choose to seek validation of your current activities to make yourself feel better.
    Okay so u must be a person that has a problem with being a little under a calorie goal. Did you notice that some days im way over calorie goal and that maybe the days im under are just offsetting the day i was over???
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What's your body fat %?
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    When i did an online calculator (forget which one) it said 23% BF
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    That would give you a lean mass of around 115-119. So you really need to be hitting 115+ grams of protein. And yes, if body composition if your goal macros matter.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Moving the goal posts doesn't change the outcome.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    That would give you a lean mass of around 115-119. So you really need to be hitting 115+ grams of protein. And yes, if body composition if your goal macros matter.

Okay, so by looking at my diary now, do the goals look good?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Also this. You can't make your body need less protein just by willing it. Trust me, I've tried.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

The goals look fine, you just need to work on hitting them consistently.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

This close to your goal BF% you shouldn't be in that big of a calorie deficit. TDEE of 2000 with a 25% deficit? Try 1800.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options

This close to your goal BF% you shouldn't be in that big of a calorie deficit. TDEE of 2000 with a 25% deficit? Try 1800.

Why not though? What harm would eating a 25% deficit do?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Also this. You can't make your body need less protein just by willing it. Trust me, I've tried.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

You probably should be more tdee -15%
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

That's true-- I was just looking at macros. I stand corrected. :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

That's true-- I was just looking at macros. I stand corrected. :flowerforyou:

Sorry, wasn't clear. Was agreeing with you and Arrogance :D
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Just adjusted nutrition goal to 1750cals a day. 50% carbs 25% fat 25% protein (109grams - in which i will try to go above a bit) MFP only says i will lose .1 of a pound each week though!!! But i should be worried about that now should i??? My goal is reduce body fat and recomp.........