Milk fat

Options
Hi, is the fat in milk a good or bad fat please.

Replies

• abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    milk is good for the calcium however the fat that comes from animals: milk, butter, cream, MEAT, tends to be bad fat, although some does have Omega-3s etc. Try skim milk or 1% to get the benefits of milk without the fat or with less fat.
  • rodney73
    rodney73 Posts: 15
    Options
    my Mum says you get just as much calcium in skimmed as in full fat. ( but then she also says Nutella is healthy as it is nuts !! ) It makes a HUGE difference calories wise if you drink milk with your tea
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    milk is good for the calcium however the fat that comes from animals: milk, butter, cream, MEAT, tends to be bad fat, although some does have Omega-3s etc. Try skim milk or 1% to get the benefits of milk without the fat or with less fat.

Actually it is a HUGE misconception that animal fats are bad for you. There is plenty of research that says otherwise. Besides the fact that our ancestors ate plenty of animal fats, home grown vegetables and fruits, worked hard and were not obese like we are today.

And there is research that is coming out that says that PUFA's (vegetable, canola oil, etc) are worse for us than saturated fats.

Here is a MFP discussion we had last year on this very subject and there is very valuable information in it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/60768-eat-more-fat?hl=eat+more+fat
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

Thinking about it I'm concerned that the milk is just a processed food. The most common milk is pasteurised and this has been boiled etc to remove the bugs. It's dificult in the UK to get raw milk as the good old way of farming is dying out.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If you are that concerned, drink almond milk:)
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

Thinking about it I'm concerned that the milk is just a processed food. The most common milk is pasteurised and this has been boiled etc to remove the bugs. It's dificult in the UK to get raw milk as the good old way of farming is dying out.

It is getting harder and harder in the United States also and in some places, it is illegal to sell raw dairy. I am fortunate enough to live in dairy country in the Midwest so there are lots of dairy farms that sell raw dairy.

I don't understand why they had to take something so natural and add chemicals and preservatives, then homonize and pasteurize it to where it is less healthy.
  • pickledlilly
    Options
    If you are that concerned, drink almond milk:)

quote]

Thanks for that, I love almond milk and forgot all about it. I'm going to check the content though.

Cheers ears...........
  • pickledlilly
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

It is getting harder and harder in the United States also and in some places, it is illegal to sell raw dairy. I am fortunate enough to live in dairy country in the Midwest so there are lots of dairy farms that sell raw dairy.

I don't understand why they had to take something so natural and add chemicals and preservatives, then homonize and pasteurize it to where it is less healthy.

It's the same with meats, the animals are battery farmed and when killed they inject with nasty fluids. They ship our live calves to France in terrible conditions to slaughter. I can't work out why they can't slaughter them here with less stress and cost. What's it coming to, all we want to do is eat natural. While I'm on a rant, I bought some nuts and when I opened them they looked 400 years old and I bought some tomatos and they had mould on them within a day. Sorry, fed up.