how to have a fat free, low calorie diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Talk to a nutritionist. Your dr doesnt even know what RDA is. Red flag!

Hi, I'm a nutritionist.

RDA's haven't been used for decades and I see no reason why a G.P. should have memorised the table in case someone asks for it when they've already managed to memorise an encyclopedic knowledge of health conditions, diseases, causes, complications, diagnosis, prognosis and referrals for the majority of the population.

I'd have to look it up.

That's what I was thinking. Why would the Dr. have the RDA for every nutrient memorized? Why would anyone?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Went for a second opinion and I feel much happier!

1. She advised that surgery is an option and its right to look into it, but that if I can manage them without attacks, then I don't have to have the surgery as around 1 in 10 people live with no-symptomatic gallstones everyday.

2. She said not to remove ALL fat from my diet, just to always take the lower fat options and eat a more balanced healthy diet, avoiding trigger foods such as fried foods, pizza and high fat dairy.

When I asked her about the RDA and if I should put a lower limit on my grams of fat, she said that everyone was different, so it was hard to put a figure on it, but that it was probably a case of trial and error for a bit til I learned what worked (unless my symptoms became more serious).
    Much better advice!

I also had a very large gallstone (2 cm+, even I could see the gallstone in an xray!) which is what eventually led to the removal of my gallbladder. Well, that and the fact that my grandmother's gallbladder burst when she was somewhere in her early 60s from the same issue led my doctor and I to decide it was better to schedule the surgery when I was already on break from work and school than to have an emergency sometime down the road. I have to admit it's a relief to have that ticking time bomb out.

Every one is different in regards to what triggers an attack. I was able to eat anything I wanted while I still had mine in and I had no issues. But even without a gallbladder I'm not finding that any specific foods, including the occasional side order of fries or onion rings, cause me problems. You will definitely do best to limit oily, fatty foods for the first couple of weeks and then slowly introduce more foods to see how it affects you. If you do end up opting for the surgery, the recovery is quick and most people I've talked to feel better after the surgery than they did before.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try the 17 Day Diet? It's a short term kick start thing. it does give you a very limited list of foods for the 1st 17 days.. very low fat, then adds more food in the second 17 days, then even more in for the 3rd 17 days and after that you eat anything. It's designed to "cleanse" (I hate that word) you first and then get you in the habit of eating healthy and then introducing all the normal foods back into your diet.

It might work for you. I'm going to try it.. simply because I am stuck and need a jump start.
  • Bekarington
    Bekarington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have to see a nurse before I can get referred to a nutritionist, which is BS cos what is a nurse gonna tell me that the doctor couldn't have done!

Ive cut down my fat intake to 50g or less a day, so far that seems ok. The biggest problem is all the fruit, veg and whole grain is giving me some serious gas! Lol
  • Bekarington
    Options
    UPDATE:

So, saw my surgeon about having my Gallstones/bladder removed and he said I could but at my BMI (over 50) I'm at greater risk of having to have the full open surgery, not the keyhole (the difference of 7-10 days recovery vs 6 weeks and a 6 inch scar).

We decided that whilst I wasn't in too much pain, I could reduce my BMI to reduce the risk before I have the op.

Just the 130lbs to loose to get me down to around a 30BMI then!
  • Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You need to see a proper medical dietician to get decent advice on a diet that will suit your medical requirements.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Although it's a mammoth task, it's better than risking your life and you'll have far more benefits than just the surgery :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I asked if I should reduce from the RDA of 70g down to 50g as I'd seen that on the internet. First she didn't know what the RDA was and then she said all fats

And yet you still planning on following her diet advice? I advise you to find a better doctor.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight and cut my calories down but I also want to cut out all fat.

I dont like fish or eggs or mushrooms, does anyone have any recipes or meal suggestions?

As others have said, reducing all fat is both impossible and not good for you if it were.

As to how to eat a low fat diet and cut calories: lots of veggies.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    bump *silly reason* Note to self bump
  • Bekarington
    Options
    I asked if I should reduce from the RDA of 70g down to 50g as I'd seen that on the internet. First she didn't know what the RDA was and then she said all fats

And yet you still planning on following her diet advice? I advise you to find a better doctor.

Different doctor. Saw a consultant ths time.