Are you a food addict? -- Ask for help.

Options
Ask for help.

It is estimated that 70 percent of those morbibly obese have an eating disorder, also known as a food addiction. The number one reason most people avoid seeking help for food addiction is they don't believe they can stop their negative eating behaviors. They have such a track record of failure with weight loss and weight control that they feel absolutely hopeless.

The truth is people recover from food addiction all the time. You can, too. Consider asking for help.

Action for the day: Do you struggle with a food addiction? If you are not sure, do some online research today. If you do have a food addiction, research online to find out what kinds of help are available to you.

Replies

• amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    Even people who aren't overweight have a food addiction. I struggled with one this past year, gaining nearly 30 lbs. Luckily, I nipped it in the bud before I gained enough to tip into the overweight category.

Thank you for posting this. Many people don't realize that there are medical reasons for some things and they think they are just worthless with no willpower. It often spirals into depression and worsens the matter.
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mollie. After reading Wmoen Food and God by Geneen Roth, which is about food addiction, I realized that that was me. I agree that if you are overweight, underweight, or abuse food, you have some kind of eating disorder. Her book talks a lot about the emotions behind eating. I did the work throughout the book and am happy to say I am recovering. It doesn't have to be a clinical thing like drugs and alcohol (thank God) but it needs to be addressed.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mollie. After reading Wmoen Food and God by Geneen Roth, which is about food addiction, I realized that that was me. I agree that if you are overweight, underweight, or abuse food, you have some kind of eating disorder. Her book talks a lot about the emotions behind eating. I did the work throughout the book and am happy to say I am recovering. It doesn't have to be a clinical thing like drugs and alcohol (thank God) but it needs to be addressed.

Yes it does.