100 grams of Chicken Breast - A poll

Options

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Stop eating chicken breasts ... eat the thighs, they're tastier, have more nutrients, and are only 3 more calories per ounce ... Come to the dark side, trust me, you'll love it ...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yeah that is to funny, I never sit down to eat chicken breast under 16-18 oz. (4-5 boneless chicken breast) same with my steaks... I just don't see how 1 - 4 oz. chicken breast would be a huge portion but maybe that is just me..... Best of Luck
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Stop eating chicken breasts ... eat the thighs, they're tastier, have more nutrients, and are only 3 more calories per ounce ... Come to the dark side, trust me, you'll love it ...

yes yumm i love the thighs. they're awesome in a curry, so much more flavour!
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yeah that is to funny, I never sit down to eat chicken breast under 16-18 oz. (4-5 boneless chicken breast) same with my steaks... I just don't see how 1 - 4 oz. chicken breast would be a huge portion but maybe that is just me..... Best of Luck

A steak's not a steak unless it's a 500g piece of ribeye in my world.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I don't know where you got your numbers, but from what I've seen, they're almost double the calories per oz... Grilled chicken breast is 1 calorie per gram, dark meat is almost 2...
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I can down 200g of chicken breast for dinner =\ and still be hungry *cries* can't wait until i can bulk :(
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I find that hard to beieve that your husband, who you say is a big guy, couldn't eat 3.5 oz of chicken breast? I'm 5'10" 190lbs and I eat 18 oz (cooked weight) of chicken breast for dinner along with 1/2 lb white potato & 1/2 lb spinach and am hungry afterwards.

That's after my lunch of 8 oz (cooked weight) chicken breast, & 1 lb of veggies, couple oz of pasta, almonds and cottage cheese.

To answer the question though, no I'm not surprised. In fact 3.5 oz makes me sad.
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    so I guess that "half chicken dinner" from swiss chalet would be about 2 or 3 meals for you and your husband. I am with most of these other posters when I say that 100g of chicken is the amount that I eat when I am getting warmed up to eat some chicken!
    A typicalmeal of grilled chicken for me is 2 whole boneless skinless breasts, 1.5 cups of grilled peppers, and about a third of a 12 inch baguette, the chicken portion of that meal is usually between 18-20 ounces, and I could eat more easily, I just don't.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering if anyone else is amazed how much chicken breast you get in 100 gram (3.5 oz approxiamte) serving. That was our protein last night and my husband (who is a big guy) could barely get it all down. I think he thought I was doubling portions on him. I showed him (using a pre-portioned snack item) that in fact the food scale was bang on.

He also told me all he feel like he does lately is eat - as I am always giving him more food to meet his calorie goals. Who else is amazed with the sheer amount of food you get when it is healthy and prepared in a healthy way :)

3.5 ounces is approximately three bites for me.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I eat about 4 oz chicken tenders (estimated from # numbers of tenders in a pack and how much the pack weighs). That with some veggies is a good filling meal and pretty low cal. I was quite surprised when I started getting them.

And chicken is so versatile you can mix it up and not get bored quickly.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Can't stand chicken breast. Most boring part of the chicken. The rest of the chook is where the real flavour is.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I buy breasts or tenders (depending on what's on sale) and cut them into 150g hunks and freeze. Delicious blank food canvas containing 35g protein, about 25% of my day in one go.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    That is very little food.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Chicken thigh 100g - 219 calories, 17g fat
    chicken breast 100g - 172 calories, 9g fat

Agreed. Absolutely go with the thighs. No need to go low fat.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking... I had 400g of chicken for dinner tonight O.o
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I add more than 3.5 ounces of (cooked) chicken or turkey breast to my LUNCHES every day, I can't imagine that little of a portion as part of my dinner, no matter the sides I have with it. I don't know whether to be jealous of your husband, or be sad for him, lol.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Chicken thigh 100g - 219 calories, 17g fat
    chicken breast 100g - 172 calories, 9g fat

3.5oz is not a huge portion; I plan for 4 oz per person (or more, depending on what accompanies the meal).

The difference is whether or not you prepare chicken with the skin on. I'm on the dark side but always go for skinless, boneless...

Skinless chicken thigh 100g - 121 calories, 2.6g fat
    Skinless chicken breast 100g - 120 calories, 4g fat
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The calories certainly vary, even according to this site:

Search Results for Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless

Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs - Roasted (Perdue)
    Serving Size: 3 oz., Calories: 150, Fat: 9g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 17g

Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (Kroger)
    Serving Size: 4 oz (112g), Calories: 130, Fat: 7g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 22g

Chicken Thighs - Skinless and Boneless (Asda)
    Serving Size: 3 oz., Calories: 220, Fat: 2.8g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 18.3g

Whole Foods Organic Chicken Thighs-boneless and Skinless (Generic)
    Serving Size: 4 oz (113g), Calories: 160, Fat: 8g, Carbs: 1g, Protein: 21g

And that is only a few that are listed.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Regardless of calorie differences between breast and thigh, 100g is a small amount of chicken.

OP did say they were eating 6 meals/day, so it's possible the guy was near full going into the meal, and their 100g snack was enough food.