Weight loss on vacation ... why?

Options
I have been on MFP for over a year, losing steadily and now plateau-ing regularly. I went from 168 to 144. I am only 5'0" tall and I know that this height plus my age (67) makes loss harder. I just got back from a 10 day vacation. During that time, I walked some but barely exercised as much as I do in a week (5x/week, cardio, weights, bands, etc.). I also was unable to follow my usual food routine. I was very careful and I logged everything into my MFP daily calories, and sometimes went over, but never ever ate poorly. I did, however, eat differently ... i always eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch and was unable to do so while there. I came back and weighed 4.5 lbs. less. I was on a plateau before I left, so this could account for a lb. or so of that. My husband's theory is that I was more active than when at home. ( go to the gym, run errands, then read for an hour in the afternoon and an hour at night plus 2 hours of TV watching). His other theory is that my body liked the changes in eating because it was so different from what I always do.
I need help figuring this out b/c if his theories are right, I will switch up some of my regular food routines and work on not sitting as much. Advice, please??

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Could be all of those reasons - it's kind of hard to say for sure. There's definitely no harm in trying to be more active and switching up your eating a bit. Variety is the spice of life after all!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Not sitting as much will definitely make a difference. If you want motivation to move more get some form of Fitbit so you can see your steps for the day.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I agree with MinnieInMaine. Any or all could be responsible. I lost weight during a two week trip to Italy last year without being too careful about what I ate just by managing portion control and walking everywhere. I was more active that I usually am and I was snacking less since I was constantly busy, but not eating more at meals. Something similary could be going on with you. Variety is rarely a bad thing, so feel free to switch things up.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for all your help. I will try moving about more in the afternoon. I did do some research on eating the same thing consistently and it appears that this does not affect weight loss or cause plateaus. Since I'm really satisfied with what I am doing in that arena, I think I will stay as it is. I have always been a creature of eating habit and never seem to get bored. If I do, occasionally, I switch it up. Again, thanks for your help!!!