Anyone who DOES NOT lift heavy and still saw great results?

Options
Just curious. There's so many pro-lifting people on this site and it would be nice to see people who used other methods to lose, like light lifting in the form of circuit training, yoga, etc. Pictures would be awesome if you're willing to share!

Replies

• 123tryingtobefree
    Options
    I work out just at home. no weights at all. Not even dumbbells.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't do the gym. However, I do a lot of different style push ups, I have dumb bells and bands that I use at home to strength train. I am about to go out and get heavier weights, but so far the heaviest I have are 25.
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    pro lifting is only for a desired look. Different looks can incorporate different regimens but all should default a little bit of weights to help with toning for men and women. But there is in no way just one way to work out. Just doing straight cardio can give you your desired look as well it just depends on personal preference

Cheers :)
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

I'm so glad we're friends, you look fabulous!!! How did you get those abs??
  • FitFabFlirty92
    Options
    pro lifting is only for a desired look. Different looks can incorporate different regimens but all should default a little bit of weights to help with toning for men and women. But there is in no way just one way to work out. Just doing straight cardio can give you your desired look as well it just depends on personal preference

Cheers :)

GREAT answer. :) Adding you right now!
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think resistance training of some sort is helpful, but I've found that I don't like heavy lifting as much as I like other forms of resistance training. I also have been running and walking more. I have noticed good results for myself (I never had a massive amount of weight to lose, but I have noticed myself becoming far more lean and toned and have gone down a size in my clothes).

From reading these forums, I definitely got a bit caught up in the mentality that lifting heavy was the best way to see results, but it made me dread going to the gym. I think it's better to find something you enjoy and that you'll want to stick with.
  • 123tryingtobefree
    Options

I'm so glad we're friends, you look fabulous!!! How did you get those abs??

By working out 5 days per week ^^ I do many things
    One day legs and abs, other day pilates, third day dance etc etc
  • JacobGaines1985
    Options
    While you CAN lose weight lifting light, you won't experience the benefits that you would by really pushing yourself with heavier loads:
    Surges of HGH and testosterone
    Muscle growth
    Breaking through plateau's
    Avoiding the "skinny-fat" condition

Lifting light has its place, but typically it's better to lift heavy (relative to your strength, size, skill with lifting) unless you have some kind of condition that would hinder you.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Here is my take, you don't have to "lift heavy" to see results (although I do and I love it) HOWEVER you do need to be working your muscles with more than just cardio. For example, body weight exercises and compound exercises are crucial to transformation, many of them can be done with little to no equipment or from your home.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    lifting heavy isn't necessary...but resistance training of some kind is. Part of the issue here on MfP is people get their terms all crossed...people tend to call almost everything "lifting heavy" because whatever they're liifting is heavy for them...never mind the fact that "heavy" is generally synonomous with primary compound lifts in the 1-5 rep range, specifically for strength. There is also hypertrophy lifting as well as endurance. Body weight training is an excellent way to go as well...but one of the reasons actual weight training is so common is that it is extremely efficient...you can easily do a full body, kick your *kitten* workout in about 30 minutes.

I don't know anyone who does just cardio that has a rockin' fitness body...resistance training is essential to a well rounded fitness regimen.
  • JacobGaines1985
    Options
    Well put wolfman.

I tend to do more calisthenic work (mainly because I don't have a gym membership or the necessary equipment), but I make sure that I push myself hard.

Pushups = Fast and explosive or really slow and controlled
    Squats = So many variations it's hard to keep track...squat jumps are a great plyometric exercise that will tone your lower body
    Pullups = No weights needed
    Planks = One of the best core exercises

I follow the Mark Sisson philosophy of make your cardio workouts long and slow and make your strength training fast and intense.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    Options
    lifting heavy isn't necessary...but resistance training of some kind is. Part of the issue here on MfP is people get their terms all crossed...people tend to call almost everything "lifting heavy" because whatever they're liifting is heavy for them...never mind the fact that "heavy" is generally synonomous with primary compound lifts in the 1-5 rep range, specifically for strength. There is also hypertrophy lifting as well as endurance. Body weight training is an excellent way to go as well...but one of the reasons actual weight training is so common is that it is extremely efficient...you can easily do a full body, kick your *kitten* workout in about 30 minutes.

I don't know anyone who does just cardio that has a rockin' fitness body...resistance training is essential to a well rounded fitness regimen.

I agree. I guess what I do would count as resistance training, since I do light weights in workout videos. I counted the reps once and it's usually 2 sets of 15 reps or so. That falls under hypertrophy, right?
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Depends - are you barely caapable of squeezing out the 15th rep? If you could happily do more reps but the video just moves on to an exercise then no, you're not going to get much hypertrophy from that.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and also just 'tone' with weights or bodyweight depending on the muscle. I don't lift heavy for my hams, for instance. I can grow me some hamstrings, lol. I just 'tone' them, still with resistance (or yoga: bodyweight). Same with my biceps, because they are also naturally bigger than my other parts.

I do mostly isolated exercises for resistance (always for heavy), but I have to due to a bad back and body-structure issues. It makes it easy to lift heavy on some and not others. I think the toned look is awesome. It just depends on what you like as far as that goes, I think. You can definitely 'tone' with resistance. Not with too little, but in the right rep/weight range, yeah.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I haven't lifted in years and years. Probably 5 or more. I only do yoga, mountain and road bike, run, etc. Yoga is one of those things that encompasses a lot of different things though. I do a lot of challenging power type classes that give me really nice defined arms and shoulders.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

That's the thing, cardio IS resistance training.

I run, I get tired, I continue, it is all resistance. I run up hills, I am fighting gravity. I run downhills - that may not seem like resistance, but believe me, run too hard down that hill and I will trash my quads, therefore I am resisting.

Running, it is resistance and running is cardio.

I run three times per week, I have not done weights for over two months now and before that, it was just once per week.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i mostly do circuit training. when i use weights it in dvd's like 30ds, rin30, t25, etc. i am getting into clx to get a bit stronger and hopefully leaner. but mostly i get my results from doing 30 min a day 4-5 days a week or some sort of program. no gym here, just home dvd's with using mostly 5-8 lb weights unless i do clx. then up to 20.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I work out at home as i can not afford a gym membership right now. I use free weights with a few different videos by Jari Love. I also do some calisthenics & run. I get very good results from it.

Lately i have slacked off after starting a new job & catching a bug, but i hope to get back into it this week
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There's a pic in this thread (hopefully the group isn't closed) - this guy did pretty much only bodyweight stuff

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912696-before-and-after-pics
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I think alot of people get confused when they hear " lift heavy". Personally in my case i dont think i lift heavy but for me its challenging. That is what is important....if it is challenging and causing fatigue to your muscles. I have dropped 80 lbs in the last 15 months doing circuit training , compound moves and isolation exercises. Some cardio as well but, not alot because i hate that crap lol. I would rather play with weights.

You can see by my profile picture ( and the ones in my profile) that resistance training does work. The important thing is to find something you enjoy doing so you will stick with it. I try to challenge myself every time i go to the gym. Sometimes i stay the same for weeks or months before i can go up .

You dont need to lift massive amounts of weight or be on a specific program to see results. Do whatever will keep you interested.