Is natural sugar bad for your diet..

Options
Just wanting to know how others feel about the impact of the sugar found in fruit. When I go over the sugar on my on my daily log it is most of the time sugar found in fresh fruit like apples and oranges. Do ya'll think I don't need to worry as much about that as long as I am staying under my calories? I love fruit but it uses up your sugar fast!

Replies

• NewMnky1
    Options
    I have always struggled with my sugar intake. It is very rare that I have been under or at the daily amount. I too get most of my sugar from fruit which I eat in the morning. I don't worry about it too much as it hasn't seemed to affect my weight loss. I would worry about it more it it was coming from other sources like junk food etc.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just wanting to know how others feel about the impact of the sugar found in fruit. When I go over the sugar on my on my daily log it is most of the time sugar found in fresh fruit like apples and oranges. Do ya'll think I don't need to worry as much about that as long as I am staying under my calories? I love fruit but it uses up your sugar fast!

Don't track sugar unless you have a medical reason to do so
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't track it. Usually it's over after one piece of fruit. IMO, track something else instead like Fiber.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    the daily amount they have set for you on here is more like for refined sugars, not natural ones. And unless you have a medical issue, there is no huge deal with sugar being in red. I would say take if off your diary all together and perhaps switch it with fiber :)
  • jerryvo
    jerryvo Posts: 66 Member
    Options

^^ This. Even if you were to get a definitive answer this week next week there will be a new study that says the opposite. If you are meeting your calorie goals and don't have a specific dietary need to track sugar intake dont worry about it.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I track iron instead of sugar. It seems redundant if you're tracking carbs and you aren't diabetic.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

^^This... I track fiber instead. It's far better in my opinion as fiber is more important to my (personal) diet.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options

If you're not diabetic, I'd recommend editting your macros:
    Track 'fiber" instead of 'sugar'.

Then meet/go over your fiber on a regular basis:
    Fiber helps you feel full, and less hungry later on.
    Fiber helps everything 'move along' in your GI track.
    Fiber helps remove cholestrol & triglycerides from your bloodstream.
    Fiber slows the processing of carbs.
    Fiber is benifital in a weight loss program.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/fiber-weight-control

btw- whole fresh fruit has so much nutrients, phytochemicals(good stuff), antioxidants, fiber, etc.

http://www.wegmans.com/pdf/nutrition/fruits.pdf

http://www.health-alternatives.com/fruit-nutrition-chart.html

• gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! This helps me a lot! I am taking it off my diary i think all together because I'm not eating a lot of refined sugar any way!
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    We learned it is how sugar is broken down , there are sugars and there are sugars
    Sugars in fruit and veggies are good they come with lots of vitamins and roughage and fiber and taste good and they will be digested slower and not so hard on spiking the blood and should be eaten. They clean out the old pooper real darn good.

Table sugar not so good empty calories.

High fructose corn syrup just plain down right mcnasty.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I changed my diary to track my fiber instead of my sugar, I'm -2 on my fiber but that's a good thing right? stay at or over your fiber intake? Just so happy to be able to have my fruit ! Thanks for your input everyone! :flowerforyou: