Grain free, dairy free, egg free breakfast ideas?

Options
I desperately need some breakfast ideas for my kiddo that are grain free, dairy free and egg free. We were aware of his gluten intolarene for a while, and i learnt to bake all kinds of gluten free stuff, but his full panel food intolerance come back and i am kind of clueless what to give him to eat from now on. Beside gluten he is highly sensitive to gliadin , which is a protein present most gluten free grains. The only grain he can eat is rice and corn.
Beside the gluten and gliadin, he is also highly sensitive to eggs both the white and the yolk, which makes me absolutely clueless. Plus citrus fruit , just to make life even harder. Sigh. He also mildly sensitive to whey, so milk is out too, but he can have some limited amount of hard cheese and Greek yogurt. His dr said if we cut out all the problematic food, his gut may heal and later on we may able to introduce back some of these. In any case right now, I need deal with this limited choices.

I am ok with the dinner, and I pack dinner leftover for lunch for school. However I totally lost when it comes to breakfast. Does anybody have some ideas? Recipes?
As most families, we have hectic morning when I have to pack lunch/ snack for 4 people, and make breakfast, drive 2 kids to 2 different places etc. I need breakfast ideas that can be made ahead of time, or very fast.
I am kind of desperate here.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If he can have rice, he could have puffed rice cereal (due to his allergies, I'd look for an organic brand with little other ingredients besides rice) and either rice or almond milk (if no nut allergie).

Or just break free of the "breakfast foods" idea and fix something that he is allowed and likes. Eggs, toast, cereal, milk are not required for breakfast. Give him vegetable soup or a burrito or taco on a corn shell if that's what he likes.

Also, don't be afraid to use the 1-800 number on the back of packaged foods to ask questions. I have a grandson with severe food allergies and my daughter calls those numbers all the time to ask about processing or cross contamination. Most are able to answer her questions.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I eat a spoonful of peanut butter, soy milk, and protein powder (I eat them separately, but you could easily make a shake of it). My protein powder wouldn't work, but there is some vegan protein powder.

I've also been known to have a salad with shredded chicken on top for breakfast too. Why let "typical breakfast foods" dictate what you eat for breakfast?
  • Bethynopockets
    Bethynopockets Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can he have nuts and other fruits like apples or bananas? Or hummus and carrots or celery or whatever he likes to dip?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you're a porridge kind of person, use leftover rice from the night before and reheat it in almond or soy milk (or any other milk substitute) until it's soggy and similar to oatmeal. Then mix in whatever you'd normally mix into oatmeal such as peanut butter, brown sugar and maple.. or whatever. it's a pretty good breakfast.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Soy yogurt with banana slices.

Avocado.

Tofu scramble with beans and/or vegetables.

Bacon, sausage, or any meat, really.
  • breanazank
    Options
    I get a lot of my recipes off of here: Oh She Glows http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/breakfast/
    and here: PostPunk Kitchen http://www.theppk.com/category/recipe/breakfast/ (note: you may have to filter through these; some may or may not be 100% GF/Vegan)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I desperately need some breakfast ideas for my kiddo that are grain free, dairy free and egg free. We were aware of his gluten intolarene for a while, and i learnt to bake all kinds of gluten free stuff, but his full panel food intolerance come back and i am kind of clueless what to give him to eat from now on. Beside gluten he is highly sensitive to gliadin , which is a protein present most gluten free grains. The only grain he can eat is rice and corn.
    Beside the gluten and gliadin, he is also highly sensitive to eggs both the white and the yolk, which makes me absolutely clueless. Plus citrus fruit , just to make life even harder. Sigh. He also mildly sensitive to whey, so milk is out too, but he can have some limited amount of hard cheese and Greek yogurt. His dr said if we cut out all the problematic food, his gut may heal and later on we may able to introduce back some of these. In any case right now, I need deal with this limited choices.

I am ok with the dinner, and I pack dinner leftover for lunch for school. However I totally lost when it comes to breakfast. Does anybody have some ideas? Recipes?
    As most families, we have hectic morning when I have to pack lunch/ snack for 4 people, and make breakfast, drive 2 kids to 2 different places etc. I need breakfast ideas that can be made ahead of time, or very fast.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/igg-food-intolerance-tests-what-does-the-science-say/

But as for suggestions, gluten free chicken/steak wraps
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    fruit smoothies with soy or almond milk

tofu scramble
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Go with just meat. Rice cereals?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/igg-food-intolerance-tests-what-does-the-science-say/

But as for suggestions, gluten free chicken/steak wraps
    Very interesting article. I've found my food allergies are highly related to my environmental allergies. I'm allergic to grasses, and I made the mistake of having some chamomile tea (which is essentially just a grass), and my eyes swelled shut. Same thing happened when I tried flax oil capsules (although in smaller amounts, flax seeds don't bother me, like when they're in my 15 grain bread).

Really interesting that the intolerance tests might actually be identifying someone becoming tolerant of a food.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Smoothies, I make mine dairy-free. Just frozen bananas and fruit, sometimes with a splash of almond or soy milk. And occasionally a spoon of almond butter for creamyness. You could throw in ground flaxseed to boost the nutrition.

Maybe make a batch of fruit salad Sunday nights and you could serve it up for a few days.

Hot rice cereal (brown rice cereal if you can find it) is often in the oatmeal section of stores.

Breakfast burritos ( brown rice tortilla, with beans, corn, chopped veggies, and maybe some seasoned rice or cubed potatoes)

Tofu scramble - not for everyone, but I like it:) Google for some good recipes, also good in a breakfast burrito

Breakfast potatoes: make a big batch and just reheat over several days

Coconut milk yogurt with fruit

If he can eat quinoa ( not sure if he's been tested for it), it makes a great cooked breakfast cereal as well. You can add all kinds of fresh or dried fruit to it to change it up.

There are lots of great websites/blogs out there. Look up gluten-free vegan.

Oh She Glows and Chocolate Covered Katie (mostly desserts and breakfast) both have lots of gluten-free or GF variation recipes.

Hope this helps!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Grits. I loved Grits as a kid.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Grain free, dairy free, egg free breakfast? For me, there wouldn't be much of a point then.

I agree, go with just plain meat or skip it.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    nada
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    and people ask my why I don't want kids.

Seriously that's a hell of a chore. Good luck to you on this one!!!

I'd go with bacon peanut butter LOL
  • rosemary98
    Options
    peanut butter is a good one. you can buy gluten free bread (not sure of dairy content)--it is a little crumbly and expensive. rice chex, rice krispies, rice puffs with almond milk. bananas and apples. soy yogurt. you would be surprised how many gluten free items there are in the grocery store...even waffles! (again not sure of dairy content). can he have milk and eggs if they are limited ingredients in something gluten free?

bacon---you can buy pre-cooked bacon. all you do is heat in the microwave for 20 seconds. hash browns...i am sure there are ready made ones at the grocery store...but you would have to be again watchful of the ingredients. In theory, you could just brown potatoes and make some hash--add a little ground beef.

peanut butter and jelly on rice crackers or rice cakes. warm rice cereal with almond milk and honey.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I used to have rice porridge for breakfast. Its normally in the rice or pudding section and called Flacked Rice. Just add milk of choice and boil up like porridge.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I used to have rice porridge for breakfast. Its normally in the rice or pudding section and called Flacked Rice. Just add milk of choice and boil up like porridge.

or, one of my favories...cook some rice, add a little almond or soy milk, add some cinnamon and sugar...and banana.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

or, one of my favories...cook some rice, add a little almond or soy milk, add some cinnamon and sugar...and banana.

I used to love that! Can you add some soy based protein powder to his yogurt?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I'll have to try that especially with winter coming up.