Switching scales

Options
Ok so I have been using my old bathroom scale, very basic one but I can never tell exactly how much I'm losing or gaining so I ordered a new digital scale.
I'm worried that the number will be way off?
What is your experience with swapping scales?

Replies

• holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The old scale had me at 4lbs heavier than my weight watchers digital scale.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I haven't swapped scales myself, but I have noticed that the basic one at my in-laws has me a couple pounds lighter than my scale does. But then again, my wii fit also tells me I'm a few lbs lighter too. Maybe my digital scale is off?

I'd say to log whatever new (or old) number the new scale gives you and don't beat yourself up over any increases it might give you.

ETA: Really, unless you're using a professional scale at a doctor's office I'd say that it's just a best estimate.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    there's always going to be a discrepancy.
    whether you place it in one area of the house or another.
    whether you stand on it the same way every time.
    i like digital better than analog. i like to step on several times in a row, bad habits and all, and my newest scale has been programmed to display the same weight every time regardless. that way it doesn't change by .2 and make me wonder if it's truly accurate.
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Pick one with .2 accuracy - which is a majority of digital scales. My cheap digital matched my doctors expensive one, so I guess it's as accurate as it needs to be.

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning when dehydrated. Don't freak out if it actually shows an increase, be patient. If documenting properly it will come down.

I don't think it matters whether two scales have different readings, just swap to the new one and forget the other numbers existed.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    When I switched from my old analog to digital, my digital was higher by a couple pounds. But while the number is important, it's the number in relation to itself. So don't stress if it higher, or rejoice if it's lower, but watch for the changes. I still have my old analog scale around, and still step on it occasionally. *Ü*

http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/
  • NJFabFour
    Options
    I just did this over the weekend. Our old scale was quite old and beat up, and while there was some occasional variation, it seemed to be somewhat consistent. When I stepped on the new scale (first thing in the a.m. as usual) (both are digital), it was a few lbs lighter than what my other one had been reading. But as others have stated, I will just go now by what the new one says and use my first weigh in with it as my guide.