Bunion & bunionette surgery anyone???

Options
I am having this surgery done next Friday and wondered if anyone here has had this or any other foot surgery.

How did you maintain some sort of workout without actually standing up LOL I see you can do a lot of punches and windmills things to get your heart pumping but I have come so far and I am really nervous about this as I do not want to have to start all over again.
I am having both of my feet done. Any advice??

Replies

• rhapsodygirl
    Options
    Hi, I don't have any advice as to what exercises you could do. I have had the same surgery as you many years ago, on both feet, but separate times. I'm sure you'll do fine, just want you to know that I'm thinking about you.
  • astange83
    Options
    Been there done that. Crutches are a great workout... While off your feet just work on strength and toning and watch your calories.

Also do you have flat feet? If so the surgery may not hold up long term, mine lasted less than 2 yrs :( Needs to be redone again but holding off as long as possible.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Oh, good luck!

I haven't had the surgeries, but I have to avoid using my feet/toes often in exercise because I was born with a deformed-toes issue that I've never had the surgeries for, lol. Google Floor Barre! Or pilates is good, albeit slower. With floor barre you can kick a lot, and that helps get the heart pumping :) Maybe swimming at the gym, too? I don't know if that would hurt too much.

I hope you do great! I've always put it off and I wish I hadn't.
  • chemprof1
    chemprof1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had this surgery done about 15 years ago (I had a pretty serious bunion...a "major deformity" my podiatrist called it). Long term, it's the best thing I could have done with respect to pain in my feet and exercising (or just walking!). I had the surgery in March and was hiking in the mountains in early July with no pain. The bunion hasn't come back at all (and the foot I had it done on is pretty flat!). Pain was pretty bad once the local anesthetic wore off, but it got better. I was in a boot for awhile - had to teach sitting down writing on an overhead...not my style. Now I'm training for a half marathon (ran my first 8 miler last week!).

So the chances are good you will be better off for having done it. Don't do what I did, I drank and ate too much and gained weight after my surgery, and I've been struggling with that on and off for some time obviously (that plus some meds that I'm pretty sure caused some weight gain as well). If you watch things and do as much strength work as you can until you get back on your feet, I'm sure you'll be fine!
  • cvince8
    cvince8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had bunion removal surgery on both feet at the same time about 7 years ago. in all honesty, you probably will not be able to work out for at least a month because you can't stand and you're not going to feel like doing anything. For the first two weeks I couldn't even put my feet below my heart (was laid up in bed with the feet propped up). It felt like they were huge, throbbing and on fire if I tried to put them down. I had to have someone carry me to the bathroom. After about a few weeks I could somewhat stand with crutches or a walker... then a few weeks later I was walking very wobbly in slippers. If memory serves me right I was back to working out within three months.

It was very hard not to workout, I'm a fitness nut, but my appetite decreased too, likely from the medicine, so I didn't gain any weight.

The good news is it gets better. I've been seven years mostly pain free and I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Good luck!
  • Drea702
    Drea702 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for the responses, I am really nervous about it. My podiatrist said I would be walking in a week....I hope he is right. I have put this off for about 5 years already. I have to do my aerobic exercises bare foot because my feet burn in any shoes. I can walk for about 3 miles about 3.5-4.0 and do well. I can run short distances as well. I so want to put this off again!!
  • cvince8
    cvince8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I honestly doubt you will be anywhere close to walking in a week. My surgey was on both big toes - they removed a piece of bone and put the toes back together with a metal screw. Perhaps you have bunions on different toes or your procedure is a bit different? My aunt has had bunions removed from her little toes and I know those surgeries were not as bad.

The year before I had bunion surgey I had a surgery to remove bone spurs on the top of my feet (again I did both feet at the same time). With that too I was nowhere close to walking in a week. I had the feet elevated for a few weeks and same thing with the fire/throbbing feeling anytime I lowered them. Even the sheets hurt - I had a cardboard box with a little cutout for my feet so the sheets couldn't touch them.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I need to have this surgery done but I'm a big chicken. I wish you the best of luck and a quick recovery!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Here for information.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for the responses, I am really nervous about it. My podiatrist said I would be walking in a week....I hope he is right. I have put this off for about 5 years already. I have to do my aerobic exercises bare foot because my feet burn in any shoes. I can walk for about 3 miles about 3.5-4.0 and do well. I can run short distances as well. I so want to put this off again!!

Did you know that a podiatrist does not go to medical school?

I have worked for an Orthopaedic Surgical practice for over 12yrs. We have seen countless patients requiring reconstructive surgery after a podiatrist performed surgery to correct the problem.

Most people dont realize there is a difference between a podiatrist and an Orthopaedic foot surgeon. An Orthopaedic Surgeon actually went to medical school.
  • cafeaulait7
    Options
    My foot guy (I'll check into which kind of surgeon he is, exactly) said I'd be walking in a cast 6 wks from the surgery. Mine's for birth-defect crooked toes, though. But it requires a bone graft, so hopefully bunion surgery could have a similar/lesser heal time? Definitely go with those who have had it before. I just wanted to provide what I was told for more info in general :)

My doc won't let me do both feet at the same time, though. I haven't even done one! I was supposed to have surgery at 15 and now I'm 43, lol. Just never find 6 wks to do it!
  • cafeaulait7
    Options
    I do have a possibly stupid question from folks who have had the surgery. Can't you just walk on your heel? Not for miles or anything, but to get around short distances? Am I just naive? :)