Potato/Spud/Tater...Watever you call them, I'm confused.

Options
I'm confused, people are giving me conflicting advice about whether eating baked potatoes (usually with tzatziki) is healthy.

The potatoes that I eat are usually pretty large, but only ever come up as 250-300 calories, and the tzatziki is 76calories per portion, but i've heard that it being high-carb means that it will hinder my weight loss, Especially when I eat it 4-5times per week!. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    It just depends what exercise you do. Dont be scared of carbs if you work out, you need it for energy. Add some extra salad, and load up,its a pretty low cal meal, I wouldnt worry too much.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'm concerned with is you are not tracking your protein, and it looks like you're not getting much. I would add that back to your diary. Baked Potatoes are ok, but if they are substituting any kind of protein 4-5 times a week, that isn't ok.
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    I think a potato a day is good. It's the best source of potassium I have found. Gives you almost half of your daily recommendation. Which is very important for your muscle in your entire body working out or not. I never knew how important potassium was till I ended up leaving the gym in an ambulance. I was over all healthy blood sugar was good heart was healthy and all that stuff. But they found I was very low in potassium which caused me to lose consciousness. So now I keep a close eye on that part of my diet along with other aspects of my diet. Also too much sodium can block your bodies ability to absorb potassium so your diet should have 2parts potassium and one part sodium.

I try to eat one a day. If I don't I never reach the amount of potassium you should have in your daily diet. Just keep the toppings in control. I usually have it as a meal. So I will put maybe 1/4 cup of cottage cheese on it with a tbs of salsa. Or low fat cream cheese and garlic. Then have a piece of fruit or a veggie.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, people are giving me conflicting advice about whether eating baked potatoes (usually with tzatziki) is healthy.

The potatoes that I eat are usually pretty large, but only ever come up as 250-300 calories, and the tzatziki is 76calories per portion, but i've heard that it being high-carb means that it will hinder my weight loss, Especially when I eat it 4-5times per week!. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Pah!

I too eat jacket potatoes at that size, it is a sight healthier than lots of other stuff. I usually stick cottage cheese on mine and have it with mince, carrots, onions and mushrooms. It is yummy, all those that insist it will hinder weight loss, rubbish.

It hasn't hindered mine and to the OP if you enjoy it and weigh it and know exactly how many calories are in it and are keeping below your allowance for the day, what on earth is the problem.

Far too much "science" going on in these weight loss programmes at times.

Take in less calories than you use up and you will lose weight. Now the trick is to eat stuff you enjoy that is healthy and will keep you below your calorie allowance :flowerforyou: