what is a best time for a 5k running

Replies

• SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    I think the fastest I've managed is 29 minutes. That was in the winter since the heat is my nemesis and slows me down quite a bit. I'd say I'm usually around 34 minutes give or take.
  • I rarely run 5km I normally prefer slightly longer routes but my PB is 26.12 which is a gentle jog for some people - However my 'roll out of bed, grab a coffee and then run' is normally 28min - I would love to be sub 25mins however I've been focusing on endurance...What can I say...I just like to plod!
    Mirroring other comments- set your own goals and don't ever be put off or feel down about times because there is always someone faster..(unless your Mr Bolt)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    The world record is 12:37.

I am close then :)))

I am curious: What is the gender and age of this record setter?

I would love to beat my personal best with an appropriate motivational challenge
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    I agree that running is a competition with yourself. Since I am pretty competitive though, I like to check out how everyone else in my age group did.

I love to see that I am over the 50% mark.

I'm not really a 5K race runner, but I have done it on the treadmill in 25 minutes... not the same thing though because it was flat :-)

Congratulations to you :-)
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    You should be really happy with your time for just starting. You will improve beyond that if you keep at it. I've been training for distances longer than that, and I've found that the more I run the faster I get. I haven't introduced speed work into my workouts, but if I were really concerned about speed, I know there are more things I could do to try to shave time. Weight loss also improves pace too for most people.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    For your first 5k that's a great time.
    I recently ran a 5k with a few friends. One is a marathoner that finished in about 20 min. Another one is a pretty good runner and finished in the top ten of her age group around 22 min. One is a an active guy that finished around 23 min. I finished around 33 min and the last of our group finished in 43 min.
    First place overall went to some 16 year old kid that finished in 16 min.
    Great job, and keep up the great work.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Great job!! That is a great time.

September 2012 I did my work 5k in 31 mins and this year (last weekend) I did it in 28 mins! That is my fastest.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    I started regular running in January and couldn't run a whole 5k, I kept going along with losing weight and started parkrunning in June 28:02 for 5k and 2 weeks ago pb'd at 26:01 with still more to come hopefully.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    The world record is 12:37.

I am close then :)))

I am curious: What is the gender and age of this record setter?

I would love to beat my personal best with an appropriate motivational challenge

Male; 22yrs old.

My PR is 19:45

I think 14:55-14:58 qualified for the Olympic 5K this year for the US.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member

Male; 22yrs old.

Really? My last 5k, the top male finishers were 13:37, 13:40 and 13:41. Of course, only the #2 guy was American.
  • RGv2

Male; 22yrs old.

Really? My last 5k, the top male finishers were 13:37, 13:40 and 13:41. Of course, only the #2 guy was American.

I watched the US Track and Field Championships 5K finals, as two of the finalists went to my high school. I believe this was the US Olympic Qual as well, could be wrong. Winning time was 14:54.

I thought the time would have been faster as well. I thought those two were laying down 5K's in the 13's as well.

http://www.usatf.org/2013OutdoorsResults.aspx
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member

Male; 22yrs old.

I watched the US Track and Field Championships 5K finals, as two of the finalists went to my high school. I believe this was the US Olympic Qual as well, could be wrong. Winning time was 14:54.

I thought the time would have been faster as well. I thought those two were laying down 5K's in the 13's as well.

I would have guessed the difference is tactics. Most of the track races I've seen haven't been run flat out; instead they run at a comfortable pace for most of it, jockey for position and then run flat out for the last lap or so.
  • RGv2

Male; 22yrs old.

I would have guessed the difference is tactics. Most of the track races I've seen haven't been run flat out; instead they run at a comfortable pace for most of it, jockey for position and then run flat out for the last lap or so.

Agreed. It was all about the kick.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Congrats on your 5k time. Great start. I started with similar training times over 2 years ago. I have been running ever since. Didn't run my first actual race until I was running under 30. So last year I ran a Thanksgiving Day race in 25:34. I have been upping my mileage since then and actually have been running between 25 miles and 40 miles a week. Soon I will start an 8 week 5k training plan and rerun that race. Excited to compare the years. All of the long running has made me faster for sure. Hoping to knock off 90 seconds and run under 8 min per mile. We'll see.
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    My PBPR (Post-babies personal record) for a 5K is 23:14. Back in my teens I was pretty competitive, running in the 18:00's. I would love to go sub-22:00 again some day...
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    OP : that is an awesome time!!!

My first 5 km race was 32.06 I think, and 6 weeks later (tonight) I ran 5 km in 29:57 minutes
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    My first ever 5k was 47:48 (15:25 pace) and my PR was a few months ago with a 36:58 (11:55 pace). I consider it a great success that my pace time decreased 3:30 in 3 years. I'm still one of the slower ones, but I don't compare myself to others. If I did that, I would never run again.
  • I don't know what my first 5k time was ever but I just ran a 7k last Saturday in 47 minutes and a 10k the weekend before that in 1 hr and 11 minutes.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    ETA: I just saw this quote this morning and it reminded me of this a bit:
    "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice in your head that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan
    [/quote]

I love this quote!
  • I ran a marathon before I ever did a 5K, and I finished it at 5:32:28. I believed my 5K pace was about 29 minutes: and some seconds to it. IMO, don't focus on your time. Race once you become more seasoned. I tried to "race" my marathon and it landed me an injury and I finished the marathon almost 33 minutes past my goal time. Just go out there for the love of the run...as a beginner.