Daily calorie goal

Hi, I've only been doing this for a week, and just getting used to it! I'm 5' 4'', 157 lbs, 39 and MFP has given me a daily goal of 1240 calories to lose 1.5-2lb a week. Does this sound about right? I've found this fine to stick to on the days I exercise, and gain back about 300 cals on average. But struggle with keeping to 1240 on days I don't exercise! Just wondering if doing it right! Would be happy to lose 1-1.5 lb a week. Any opinions?! Thanks.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    With that weight to lose, I'd switch to 1lb a week personally.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You are doing it right in terms of eating back your exercise calories, etc...but that calorie goal is based on 1.5 - 2 Lbs per week loss goal...if you're sturggling with dietary adhereance it's better to go a bit slower and actually adhere to your diet than try to be too aggressive but ultimately blow your diary up with binging, etc. If you slow down you will be given more calories.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    MFP is a bit tight on calculating your cals. Try checking what other calculators give you. (there's lots, people will name a few they think are good)

I got 1200 a day and stuck with it for 8 months and when my weight loss got stuck, I started looking around at other TDEE calculators. I got several different figures, but in the end worked out an average and deducted 20% so now I'm aiming for 1500 a day net. The needle has started creeping down again :smile:
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    If you've only been doing this for a week and you already can't stick to your calories, then you definitely need to change your goal to lose 1lb per week or less or you won't stick with it long term.
  • heath7878
    heath7878 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks! I'm still trying to get my head round it! I've stuck to the same kind of diet on and off for years, where I was only eating 1125 cals a day, and always had good results with it, but I came to MFP this time as I just cannot stick to this anymore! So I think I need to aim for 1lb a week loss, as I will be more likely to stick to the 1490 cals this would give me daily than 1240, and in the long run lose the 17lb I want to lose! Thanks again!