The Kitchen Garden

Options
We had a meetin down at the church to do a community garden and my buddy and I are going to enlarge our kitchen garden
Nope we don't expect the tax payer to fund our garden we ain't on corporate welfare.
We are growin our own tomatoes, zucchini, beans and apples with the government using the taxpayer money to do so.

These ideas came up as we were havin a church meetin about social activism and justice and the subject was Grace Lee Boggs at age 98 and could we be like her and inspire our communities now the thing they have done in Detroit if Urban gardening they are home growing their fruits and veggies. We think this is somethng we as a weight loss community should be opening up to discussion.

Replies

• Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I meant to say we are doing our homegrown urban garden and no we don't expect handouts from the taxpayers. Our little homemade farm is not on Corporate Welfare.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    ... Our little homemade farm is not on Corporate Welfare.
    Why would it be? :huh:
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You didn't get any replies to this thread because you didn't really say what you wanted to discuss. Yes, growing your own food is becoming more popular in urban settings.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You didn't get replies because most of it makes no sense and doesn't really pose a question. My farm isn't on corporate welfare either. Discuss.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Growing stuff is wonderful. Sometimes you can't do much but growing a little something is better then growing nothing. Even a few herbs on your counter can be an easy way to flavor to your home cooking.

We've grown corn, pumpkins, green beans, swiss chard, peas, tomatoes, green peppers and a whole lot of herbs. Well and we have grape vines and cherry trees too.

It's so worth it.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    ... Our little homemade farm is not on Corporate Welfare.
    Why would it be? :huh:

Maybe if they expand they could apply for a tax break on packets of seeds..........:wink:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    KALE

Grow all Kale.
  • Lichent
    Options
    Detroit is in a mess, but activists like Grace Lee Boggs we saw a video in church and she was an inspiration to the rest of us to make changes in our lives and our little community. She is 98 years old and bright as a button and inspired me and buddy to become activists in our own community.

They are slowly tearing down the abandoned house, they have 95000 abanodoned houses, they are tearing them down a little bit at a time, and making urban farms, plots of land that people can now farm and bring fresh food to the city.

We saw the importance of getting involved in home grown fresh vegetables and fruits from our own garden. We do a little but since we have been inspired by our new life style my buddy and me are going gung ho and expand garden and the garden at the church.

So farm subsidies, it is pees us off that the wealthy are getting these huge subsides to farm, corporations actually and it has cost the U.S. $168 billion in subsides of taxpayer money.

This is what we found out.
    who knew bruce springsteen was a farmer, ted turner and bon jovie too.
    http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/who-knew-bruce-springsteen-was-a-farmer-hes-not-but-he-gets-farm-subsidies/

so why is congress fighting for farm subsidies welfare for corporations
    http://theweek.com/article/index/248078/farm-subsidies-a-welfare-program-for-agribusiness

now the little guy in detroit who is growing the good stuff fruits and vegetables they sure aren't throwin money his way!!
    He is out there on his own.
  • Lichent
    Options
    there are some fantastic videos on you tube showing Urban farming in detroit, think about getting your own garden going even if is potted. Lots of fresh herbs, tomatos , beans, turnip, zucchini , cabbage home grown taste so much better and no pesticides.