Gluten free

Options
Just wondering if there are any weight loss benefits and health benefits to eating gluten free. I heard it doesnt cause bloating, is that true? Thank you

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to be gluten free unless you're either sensitive or allergic to gluten.

Now, if you choose to go wheat free or white flour free or something like that just to cut down on calories, you could.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you are just going to substitute your usual gluten foods with non-gluten varieties (eg. muffins, bread, buns, etc) than you won't see any change in weight from that alone. If you simply choose to stay away from such foods altogether, then you will possibly see a decrease in weight - all other things being equal - because breads and baked goods are typically high in calories.

In terms of health, if you have gluten allergies or intolerance then you could see improvements. For some people, gluten exacerbates inflammation. My autistic son is better able to self-regulate when on a GF diet, and my friend suffers from panic attacks when she eats too much gluten. Me, I went gluten free for a bit but saw no change. I've never had any real health issues so for me it really didn't make sense. So I eat wheat, etc. and anything else I want so long as I stay within my caloric goals.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if there are any weight loss benefits and health benefits to eating gluten free. I heard it doesnt cause bloating, is that true? Thank you

It only doesn't cause bloating in anyone who isn't a celiac.

If you aren't a celiac there's no reason not to eat nutricious grains. Grains are good for you unless you have an allergy.

Celiac's disease involves an autoimmune reaction to the glutens in various grains causing the little fili...ae? the little finger shaped things in your gut that absorb nutrients - it causes them to get flat and lose their ability to absorb any nutrients at all.

As such, it's a really horrible condition and you'd know all about it merely from the pain involved.

Going 'gluten free' is a poncy affectation amongst the middle classes who are looking for any entertainment to fill their lonely days. It's just like any other fad diet they get going. They don't have any gluten allergy, they don't have any reason to deny themselves these nutrients, they just are attempting to make their lives interesting.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    There is a book written by an MD in both Neurology and Nutrition called Grain Brain. You might want to pick it up for a quick read. Some interesting studies were cited and I have plans to investigate the studies cited to see the actual research.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Absolutely zero benefit.... And don't trust any book that you have to buy. Look at studies by knowledge research facility.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you aren't a celiac there's no reason not to eat nutricious grains. Grains are good for you unless you have an allergy.

Celiac's disease involves an autoimmune reaction to the glutens in various grains causing the little fili...ae? the little finger shaped things in your gut that absorb nutrients - it causes them to get flat and lose their ability to absorb any nutrients at all.

As such, it's a really horrible condition and you'd know all about it merely from the pain involved.

Going 'gluten free' is a poncy affectation amongst the middle classes who are looking for any entertainment to fill their lonely days. It's just like any other fad diet they get going. They don't have any gluten allergy, they don't have any reason to deny themselves these nutrients, they just are attempting to make their lives interesting.

Keep in mind there are huge differences among celiac disease, gluten allergy and gluten sensitivity. My wife has the latter and never had any pain but she used to take a ton of naps after any meal with gluten in it. Since she is off gluten, she no longer takes naps and can now lose weight.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options

the book is called "Wheat Belly" Buy it, read it. Full of science about GMO's...OLD wheat isn't the issue - NEW wheat shouldn't even be considered wheat.

I have an idea...stop eating gluten for 2 weeks and see how you feel - My joints don't ache, the IBS symptoms are gone, headaches gone, I NEVER have heartburn EVER anymore, I fall asleep & stay asleep. Try it.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

the book is called "Wheat Belly" Buy it, read it. Full of science about GMO's...OLD wheat isn't the issue - NEW wheat shouldn't even be considered wheat.

I have an idea...stop eating gluten for 2 weeks and see how you feel - My joints don't ache, the IBS symptoms are gone, headaches gone, I NEVER have heartburn EVER anymore, I fall asleep & stay asleep. Try it.

Wheat Belly is BS. It's full of science that's been cut in half to fit the authors desired message. At one point he talks about gluten exorphins being addictive, like a drug. He 'proved' this by citing a study in which binge eaters were left in a room filled with a variety of foods for one hour. Those given a exorphin blocking drug consumed 28% less crackers and pretzels, but he fails to note that they consumed 40% MORE gluten filled bread sticks.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Just do an "elimination diet" ... if you feel better without it, then go GF ... if there is no difference then don't. I did this when I was at my wits end with bloating and cramping (sometimes even vomiting) for "no reason" ... I used to just be tired and slightly bloated after eating pizza or pasta or bread, etc ... then as I got older the symptoms got worse ... Did the elimination thing, found the problem (gluten), gave it up, now I'm golden. I tested negative for Celiac, but I am hypothyroid, and there is a strong correlation between that and gluten intolerance. I personally do not eat any of the GF products on the market, I simply stick to "whole" foods (basically shopping the perimeter of the grocery store, and the bilk section.)
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just do an "elimination diet" ... if you feel better without it, then go GF ... if there is no difference then don't. I did this when I was at my wits end with bloating and cramping (sometimes even vomiting) for "no reason" ... I used to just be tired and slightly bloated after eating pizza or pasta or bread, etc ... then as I got older the symptoms got worse ... Did the elimination thing, found the problem (gluten), gave it up, now I'm golden. I tested negative for Celiac, but I am hypothyroid, and there is a strong correlation between that and gluten intolerance. I personally do not eat any of the GF products on the market, I simply stick to "whole" foods (basically shopping the perimeter of the grocery store, and the bilk section.)

I notice with gluten I am tired too, like I need a nap after toast in the morning. I will try it and see what happens, thanks everyone.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options

That's a pretty judgemental statement to make, not to mention arrogant and ignorant. Medical science can't always provide a mechanism to explain inter-individual variability in reactions to substances such as prescription drugs, for example, but we know they exist (I used to be a researcher in this field).

You don't need to have an anaphylactic reaction to something to experience ill effects from it. For example, I have an intolerance to sulfa antibiotics - not at all uncommon, but not a true "allergy" in the immunological sense. For me, it causes me to vomit every few minutes for about an hour and a half. Definitely not an "affectation", and there is no specific pharmacological explanation for this reaction, but it is real enough for me to avoid them unless my life depends on it (and fortunately there are plenty of alternatives). Anaphylaxis is not the only "legitimate" adverse response to a substance.

Recent beneficial mutations such as lactose tolerance into adulthood allow most folks to tolerate dairy and it's easy to forget that the norm for humans for most of our evolutionary history was to develop lactose intolerance after childhood, and yet because it is a recent mutation there is still a small but significant number of people who develop lactose intolerance. It seems reasonable to suggest that perhaps mutations that allowed us to digest grains properly have not spread through the population completely such that a small but significant number of people cannot tolerate gluten. I'm not saying this has been proven, but it is a reasonable hypothesis.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I notice with gluten I am tired too, like I need a nap after toast in the morning. I will try it and see what happens, thanks everyone.

That's could be the carbs. If I eat a stuffed potato for lunch, I'll be asleep at the table!
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    This is the coolest wording I've read for this explanation. +1 internet points to you.
  • Recently went gluten/grain free after struggling with IBS for years. Not only do I feel better and have more energy, but I've lost 10lb and my stomach has flattened.

This was at the advice of a nutritionist, so maybe get yourself to one of those to see if it's suitable for you.

Disagree on nutrients by the way, I get all my nutrients from other sources, mainly plenty of good fruit and veg and a few beans, pulses and nuts.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

That's a pretty judgemental statement to make, not to mention arrogant and ignorant. Medical science can't always provide a mechanism to explain inter-individual variability in reactions to substances such as prescription drugs, for example, but we know they exist (I used to be a researcher in this field).

You don't need to have an anaphylactic reaction to something to experience ill effects from it. For example, I have an intolerance to sulfa antibiotics - not at all uncommon, but not a true "allergy" in the immunological sense. For me, it causes me to vomit every few minutes for about an hour and a half. Definitely not an "affectation", and there is no specific pharmacological explanation for this reaction, but it is real enough for me to avoid them unless my life depends on it (and fortunately there are plenty of alternatives). Anaphylaxis is not the only "legitimate" adverse response to a substance.

Recent beneficial mutations such as lactose tolerance into adulthood allow most folks to tolerate dairy and it's easy to forget that the norm for humans for most of our evolutionary history was to develop lactose intolerance after childhood, and yet because it is a recent mutation there is still a small but significant number of people who develop lactose intolerance. It seems reasonable to suggest that perhaps mutations that allowed us to digest grains properly have not spread through the population completely such that a small but significant number of people cannot tolerate gluten. I'm not saying this has been proven, but it is a reasonable hypothesis.

:drinker:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm a coeliac (for 20 years) so no gluten for me but guess what I joined on here because i was 100lbs overweight. Yes many people are sensitive to gluten and it can help some by removing it from their diet its not a route I would recommend.

If you do think you have issues with please visit your GP and have a chat with them.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I tried it for 6 months. Did nothing for me, despite all the hype.
    Low carb made a big difference on my stomach, but I couldn't maintain that diet cause I didn't know what the hell to eat :laugh:
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have been having some really bad stomach pain for years. Last year I was on a low-carb diet for a while and noticed that my pain went away. When I looked back at my diet, I noticed that it had also been (unintentionally) gluten free. I tried a gluten free diet for a while, but when I got tested for celiac it came back negative.

My stomach pain seems to come and go. I can't seem to pin it down specifically to gluten, but it definitely seems better when I'm not eating it, so I've thought about going back on a gluten-free diet despite the lack of celiac disease.

Is gluten free a fad right now? Sure. Are there people avoiding it who don't need to? Sure. Maybe it's the carbs and not the gluten. Maybe it's just that when people try to avoid gluten they end up eating healthier without thinking about it, since they're unhealthy options are more limited. But what's wrong with that? The only effect I've seen is that those I do know with diagnosed, no-**** celiac disease now have more options at restaurants and in the supermarket because businesses are catering to this fad. And that's awesome.
  • I have been having some really bad stomach pain for years. Last year I was on a low-carb diet for a while and noticed that my pain went away. When I looked back at my diet, I noticed that it had also been (unintentionally) gluten free. I tried a gluten free diet for a while, but when I got tested for celiac it came back negative.

My stomach pain seems to come and go. I can't seem to pin it down specifically to gluten, but it definitely seems better when I'm not eating it, so I've thought about going back on a gluten-free diet despite the lack of celiac disease.

Is gluten free a fad right now? Sure. Are there people avoiding it who don't need to? Sure. Maybe it's the carbs and not the gluten. Maybe it's just that when people try to avoid gluten they end up eating healthier without thinking about it, since they're unhealthy options are more limited. But what's wrong with that? The only effect I've seen is that those I do know with diagnosed, no-**** celiac disease now have more options at restaurants and in the supermarket because businesses are catering to this fad. And that's awesome.

I also thought this may be the case, but I have been introducing a few complex carbs into my diet gradually (sweet potatoes, quinoa, bananas) and things seem good. However over the weekend I tried a wholewheat wrap (I thought less risky than bread) and the next day I was bloated and had a really upset stomach.

Since introducing a few carbs my weightloss has stopped though.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Wheat Belly is BS. It's full of science that's been cut in half to fit the authors desired message. At one point he talks about gluten exorphins being addictive, like a drug. He 'proved' this by citing a study in which binge eaters were left in a room filled with a variety of foods for one hour. Those given a exorphin blocking drug consumed 28% less crackers and pretzels, but he fails to note that they consumed 40% MORE gluten filled bread sticks.

Whatever...all I know is that I sleep better, my joints don't throb in pain, I have lost 40+ pounds, I don't suffer daily headaches anymore, and the IBS symptoms have completely disapeared...the only thing I exclude from my diet is gluten. When I DO eat it, I feel like crap until it is out of my system. OP asked for opinions regarding instances of excludng gluten and I happen to be a success story. Just thought I would share what happend to my own body...nothing works for everyone, but I lived most of my adult life in pain until I figured out that I have a gluten sensitivity by accident, because of this book.