In your opinion, what makes a person a good my fitness pal?

Options
I'm just curious to what people have to say because what one person believes is support another may feel dif.

Replies

• Tonigirl519
    Tonigirl519 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's all a personal choice...some of mfp like to be critique in their food choices and some just like to hear a work of encouragement as they make their choices. But most lilke to just hear that they're doing good..keeping on the journey. So unless someone ask me to critique them then everyone falls in the the later category for me.
  • Corissia
    Corissia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me a good fitness pal is someone who shows a balance of both encouragment and critique (if needed) that person needs to understand that I can eat a peice of candy and its not the end of the world. The chest day or the occational junky food is actually what keeps me eating good through out the week. I only give words of encouragment though because unless I know the person personally I cannot critique their food choice because I do not know hoe they will handle what I say.
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    hmmm interesting...
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Consistent encouragement.
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like when people post more than just completed diary and finished cardio. I like to see what people think about today, what their challenges are, share inspirational sayings, etc. And I like when someone says something personal back when I post something. I don´t connect with those who just day after day write wtg and good job.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    For me it's more about what we have in common. I like interacting with people who have similar fitness interests and are in this for more than just weight loss not all about plugging away on the elliptical for hours just to burn cals. I don't worry so much if people don't comment on my diary/exercise log but I like friends who have interesting status updates
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I like when people post more than just completed diary and finished cardio. I like to see what people think about today, what their challenges are, share inspirational sayings, etc. And I like when someone says something personal back when I post something. I don´t connect with those who just day after day write wtg and good job.

Definitely agree with this. My newsfeed at the moment is filled with conversations and banter amongst my MFPals and it is completely awesome. When I started it was nothing like this and I kind of lost interest in daily logging and MFP generally so having a good friend list who interact with each other makes all the difference.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Definitely agree with this. My newsfeed at the moment is filled with conversations and banter amongst my MFPals and it is completely awesome. When I started it was nothing like this and I kind of lost interest in daily logging and MFP generally so having a good friend list who interact with each other makes all the difference.

WTG - good post. *hehe*

Agree and Agree!! I love a little bit of banter and "whatever" thrown in for good measure. Most of my pals are amazing, and the rest of them are totally fabulous :)

If someone doesn't comment or join in after a while, and I don't have any personal connection with them, I delete them. It's no hard feelings, but I prefer to have a friends list that I can relate to and who I like.
  • 271lisa
    271lisa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me...the ideal fitness pal is someone who is ACTIVE on mfp, encouraging, FUN with a great sense of humor and also serious about meeting their goals and helping others meet theirs.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    For me, an ideal fitness pal is one who who is actively logging in, who takes fitness seriously but knows how to have fun, and makes comments that are meaningful. Not the very bland "good job" or "awesome" comments all the time.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    When giving advice knowing what they are talking about

or just being supportive of other peoples goals, even little things like "good job" can really help some of the people on here stay motivated
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Someone that has a life outside of MFP I have a tendency to attractive people who think this is Facebook and I want to hear everything that is going on in there lives. I believe a good MFP exercise at least 2 or 3 times a week and don't judge me if I don't exercise but send me a private message to see whats going on with me. No one is perfect. I support all my fitness pals and I delete the ones that don't support me.

I hope a lot of people read your post BC a lot of people could use a personality makeover.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    For me, an ideal fitness pal is one who who is actively logging in, who takes fitness seriously but knows how to have fun, and makes comments that are meaningful. Not the very bland "good job" or "awesome" comments all the time.

MY BAD!!!! We have been asking MFP to use the emoticons think that's why you call it to say a quick something sometimes your day is busy and all you got left is HIGH FIVE
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    People who still support me even though I whine sometimes and incessantly bring up the fact that I had brain surgery.

*pooooof!!!! Glitter and confetti showers my friends list!*
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    People who still support me even though I whine sometimes and incessantly bring up the fact that I had brain surgery.

*pooooof!!!! Glitter and confetti showers my friends list!*

lol Mary Beth! I love confetti and I think your scar is awesome.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    For me I like people to say good job or whatever...A lot of people have a lot of friends...you can't connect with everyone of them on a personal level...I like seeing people posting about their fitness, their struggles, asking for advice from their friends before posting in a thread where they can be attacked by nay-sayers telling them they are doing everything wrong because they should do it how this person does it. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't have a lot of people commenting on mine...just a few that I talk with the most. I try to help anyone I see needing help....if they ask for it. All I ask of my friends is to be themselves and log daily if possible. Try their best and not to give up.
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    I appreciate all of your comments they are helping me and hopefully helping others to become better :happy:
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I only comment when there is something worth commenting about. I mean, how many times do you want to comment just because someone came in under their calorie goal? That just becomes redundant. A cheer is deserved if someone loses weight, or has an unusually high calorie burn. I do enjoy the occasional post about something special that happened that day.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I think the ideal MFPal is a regular user, is open to feedback and advice (giving and receiving), and has an assortment of numbers and letters in their name - perhaps an R, maybe a Y,A,M,N & A. The numbers 9 &7 indicate a great MFP user also. :wink:
  • TemikaThompson
    Options
    I think the ideal MFPal is a regular user, is open to feedback and advice (giving and receiving), and has an assortment of numbers and letters in their name - perhaps an R, maybe a Y,A,M,N & A. The numbers 9 &7 indicate a great MFP user also. :wink:

:laugh: Thats funny! I just got it! At 1st I was thinking WHAT? What does a person's name have to do with anything? :laugh: goodone!