What do you eat when you're sick?!

Options
I've caught a bad cold (like -1000000 on the scale of 1-10), and I don't really know what to eat or how much to eat! So, can someone help me out here? Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I eat what I normally eat. Why would having a cold require different foods?
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    congee
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I know what you're talking about because if I'm really sick I can't eat much, and I'm not working out. I stick to soups and lighter foods. It's a rare occasion when I'm so sick I can't eat or workout, but it does happen.

Take good care of yourself.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I normally rather not eat so I don't! Your body lets you know when it needs food
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    drink a lot of water soups make sure to get my omega 3 by fish oils or eating fish also dosing up on multi vitamin and taking a ton of vitamin C helps me recover fast making me protein shakes with bananas blue barriers
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    homemade chicken soup!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Something easily digestible, like rice, crackers, or soup. At least, that's generally what I eat when I'm sick. Eating normal food when I'm down for the count tends to upset my stomach.
  • TripZeros
    TripZeros Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm sick too and haven't been able to stomach anything but water until dinner.

For dinner I made the potato soup that was in the recipes forum. It was easy and really good. I was afraid how it would set with me, but it was easy to swallow and didn't make my stomach turn at all.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Usually when I am ill, I will eat whatever I want to. Some foods just do not taste as good as when I am healthy and sometimes I am just not as hungry as normal. I try to keep it on the healthy side, but honestly, sometimes I NEED those calories.
  • ihateyoga
    Options
    Soup that's not too salty.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Lots of clear fluids - broth, water, hot tea, hot water with lemon and honey, etc. Stay away from dairy, it can be unsettling on a stomach that's dealing with drainage. Don't worry about calories or exercise until you're feeling better.
  • NeverTooLateJudy
    Options
    Depending on what I'm sick with... if it's a mega cold like you're describing then I really like things like scrambled eggs with toast, lots and lots of chicken noodle soup, ginger tea, jello.
    Feel better soon. :)
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Mostly soups. Sometimes plain oatmeal. Those are my go-tos when I can't stomach anything more substantial.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hot tea and toast with cinnamon sugar...or soup.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If I am sick and I don't feel like eating then I don't eat, because I assume my body will tell me if it needs something. I'd say eat whatever you want, but then I never craved fast food when sick. Your body does require energy in order to fight the illness, so if you are starving (obviously your body is telling you that it needs food) and you don't eat you'll be sick for longer.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When I'm having cold, I get very very hungry. Basically will have to find something to eat every hour.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Something either steamy or spicy enough to flush out my sinuses. Anything my stomach can't handle is a job for chewable Pepto.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Last time I got a cold I drank this alcohol that helped. It's hard to find in the US, but my mfp friends suggested some other alcohol conncoctions, so maybe you can get some input here.

Other than that, I ate chicken soup. Drank orange juice. Ate other warm soup and easy stuff on my throat. Drank hot tea with honey and lemon. And sucked on vitamin c and zinc throat lozengers...which actually tasted like candy.

Eta: almost forgot, i drank a probiotic yogurt too. Figured it couldn't hurt.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hot tea is my #1. Especially if I have a sore throat. Rice, toast or biscuits. Anything citrus. Hot soups, but I love spicey ones when sick as they usually settle my stomach. Not much else. I hate water when sick. I can't think of much else! Carbs mostly, I guess since not much else has taste and having to chew hard makes me feel worse!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Home made Chicken soup, plenty of fluids. Hope you feel better soon.