Noob question about sitting down after you exercise

Options
Okay, I am not very sporty. I have a modest weekly exercise goal. I meet it and I try to exceed it. But, sometimes when I push myself to exercise, it's after work, and I'm already tired, when I finish my exercise, I sit down.

I've heard in casual conversation and heard from exercise videos 'don't sit down' after you exercise. Can someone explain why though? I mean just in general? I've heard it's stuff like "blood will pool in your legs" or "you'll get cramps". I don't know the whys.

I don't cramp up after sitting down, but am I doing myself some harm if my heart hasn't slowed down yet and I'm sitting? And how long do you have to wait before you sit down?

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I did a search and didn't come up with anything that corroborates this claim, other than anecdotal stories. My guess is that if you don't have any circulatory issues, and aren't feeling extremely light-headed or dizzy, then there's nothing harmful about sitting after exercise.

I have to think if this was something that was a serious risk, you wouldn't observe athletes such as hockey players or basketball players sitting on the bench after exerting themselves, not to mention similar athletes in other sports.

I guess I would ask for some evidence that's supported by research if people are making this claim, before accepting it. Maybe it's out there, but I haven't seen it.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing.
  • katield83
    katield83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would imagine that this has a lot to do with circulation. If you are standing your lungs can open up more to allow more oxygen to pass through.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    You're really over thinking this and not using your common sense. If you're tired and need to sit down, sit down. It doesn't sound like you're doing any extreme fitness routines so I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing I can recall hearing about something like this is for runners that after doing a run you shouldn't stop suddenly and lay down or sit down but walk until you've caught your breath. Whether even that is true, I don't know.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't like to sit down right after I exercise because I get stiff. I've found I need to take a little time, sometimes it's just 5 minutes or so, to cool down a bit and let my muscles know they're not needed as much. But it also depends on how strenuous I've exercised.

It's all about what works for you.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    hmmm... news to me, my knee's are so jacked up after pushing through my workouts that I come straight home and hit the recliner with a couple ice packs so I hope I am not doing more harm than good...... lol
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a cooling down question, especially for people who are new to an exercise routine you should cool down/stretch to keep from cramping, help recover, and (hopefully) help your next workout. But I think 5-10 min ought to do it and then you can sit to your hearts content... I do!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You hear videos tell you don't sit down during rest periods of the workout or water breaks because your suppose to keep moving to keep your heart rate elevated and because the temptation to sit down and not get back up is high in some people.. but as far as after your workout and cool down/stretching there isn't any reason not to sit down.. Normally after I shower and stuff its right onto the couch for me.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/546527-does-abruptly-stopping-intense-exercise-cause-blood-to-pool-in-the-lower-extremities/

See above link. Blood pooling due to sudden cessation of exercise is what I was taught was the main concern. A short cool down is all you need to keep it from happening, then sit to your heart's content.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/546527-does-abruptly-stopping-intense-exercise-cause-blood-to-pool-in-the-lower-extremities/

See above link. Blood pooling due to sudden cessation of exercise is what I was taught was the main concern. A short cool down is all you need to keep it from happening, then sit to your heart's content.

Ah! Thank you for that link.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you mean between sets you should keep moving to keep the blood flowing to the muscles you are working at that time for recovery. If you mean after the workout I got nothing...