Exercise motivation....when does it change?

Options
I'm 33 yo, 5'11", 272 lbs, have high blood pressure, and I recently joined MFP because I realized that I needed a serious change (I was at 280 lbs at my heavies). Over the past several years I've gone through numerous intervals of weight loss and weight gain. I've been able to go several months losing 10, 20 or even 50 lbs but I always ended up gaining it back plus some. I started reading a lot of the very informative threads here and realized that in the past I was exercising myself to death without much regard for what I ate.

I started keeping track and I've been shocked by the amount of calories that I was consuming before. I always thought that I ate healthy because I cooked with lots of vegetables and ate mostly lean meats and I very rarely ate fast food. However, I was amazed by how many calories (and sodium) I was consuming when I was eating out (usually 2 times a week for dinner and about 3 times a week for lunch...mainly out of convenience).

I'm excited about making positive changes in my life and look forward to all the motivation and support that all of you can offer.

For those of you that have been at this for a while, I'm hoping you might be able to answer a few questions for me.

Like I said, I've gone through various iterations of weight loss. This was usually accomplished through both cardio and weight training. However, even after I'd been at it for several months, I never seemed to get to point where I really wanted to go workout...it was always something that i had to go do. I've read lots of posts on here of people that started running and fell in love with it or turned into serious workout fiends....however, I've never gotten there. When does that change? I enjoy running and working out when I'm doing it (and especially when I'm done...I feel great and always sleep like a baby), but even knowing that, I have a hard time getting the motivation to put on my workout cloths and go for a run or go to the gym.

Also, I have a hard time getting up early to go workout and usually end up going after I get home from work. I'm wondering if it is better to eat prior to working out or waiting until afterwards, which would typically be 9:30 - 10:00 pm? I read where people have said not to eat before working out and not to eat right before bed...I guess I'm wondering does it matter and is one worse than the other?

What is everyone's opinion on "cheat meals"? My first weekend on MFP I decided that I would treat myself for all of my good work by going out for dinner and a few drinks with some friends. I blew my past target calories by almost double. I like the idea of a cheat meal because I think it will keep me sane, but I'm nervous that I'll just fall back into my old ways.

Thanks for any advice you all can offer.

Replies

• gabrielsnapcity
    Options
    First of all, what helps me with motivation is youtube. Look up "fitness motivation" on youtube. I watch one every single day. It keeps me motivated to hit the gym and hit it hard. Another thing that helps with motivation is I have a preworkout (C4) that i take about 30 minutes before i work out. And when i drink it, i tell myself "i drank my preworkout now i have to work out, i didnt just take it for nothing. And as for cheat meals, i cut them out. If you think you need it, more power to you but i think it kind of makes you crave it more.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I would say that it took me a good 7-8 months after joining to gym before I enjoyed working out. Before that, it was just a means to an end. Eventually, I found a type of exercise that I genuinely like and look forward to doing (kettlebells).

I don't do "cheat meals," but I also don't have any foods that are completely forbidden. When I want to have something that is not the healthiest choice, I have it but keep the portion size under control.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would say.. try zumba! It doesn't even feel like a work out it is so much fun, but you burn loads of calories!!
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't like going to the gym but I like being at the gym.

The hardest part of any work out for me is getting up and actually getting myself there.
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i enjoy zumba ... feels more like fun than a workout. When I am at the gym I enjoy the arc trainer the most. Very low impact on my hips and knees and gets a good burn on !

I am not a fan of cheat meals but am learning to incorporate less healthy foods into my meals in a healthy manner. Smaller portions of the less healthy food and pairing it up with lots of veggies or a nice salad. I have to try to stay away from sweets as I think I am an addict to them. If I have a little .... I start to crave them really bad. It is easier to just stay away from them.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Everyone's motivation is different, whether its for going to the gym or not over eating, so each of us has to decide what works for us. As far as exercise goes, if you like being at the gym, concentrate on that feeling or how much better you look or whatever, before you go. There are also lots of ways to exercise; I enjoy biking or walking my dogs at a very quick pace, but hate running.

I try to avoid the concept of cheat meals; yes its going to happen and when it does I don't feel guilty, but I certainly don't set it as a goal. I also did something that probably wasn't the best way of cutting calories, but it worked for me. Before I got on here, I cut EVERYTHING I ate in half (probably going from 2800 calories or more per day to 1400 or so). For two weeks my stomach hurt but when I got done I had shrunk it enough that I feel full (and notice it) a lot quicker, making it difficult to overeat by large amounts.

As far as when you workout or eat, like you I am not into morning workouts and often don't eat last meal until 9 - 10 PM. I will eat a late afternoon snack (50 - 100 calories) for energy, but my body doesn't seem to care when the calories enter or leave my body.

Good luck with your journey to a new lifestyle (its not a diet).
  • Mamoonie
    Options
    When does exercise motivation change? At the very moment you find a workout you really love to do. If you just do it because you think you have to do it, you will stop one day and find excuses not to start anymore. If you love doing a workout, you will find reasons to do it as often as you can.
    As for time of workout... I wouldn't be able to get up in the middle of the night to workout before starting my day. I usually hit the gym after work, which means that I workout anywhere between 5 and 9 pm, depending on start time and program length. I only have my dinner after the gym, which can be anywhere between 7 and 10 pm or later. I do have a snack before gym though, not to be too hungry while exercising. I have not had any problems with sleeping well after dinner. I might have problems with working out on a full belly though, so eating before the gym is not an option for me.

Now about cheat meals... if you "save up" some calories every day, you can eat over target on one day and still meet the calorie goal of the week. Also: if you have a small treat now and then, you don't need to have a cheat meal or cheat day. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want it, but not in the quantities I'd like to. That way I don't feel deprived. I very seldom have a day where I binge and/or eat mindlessly.
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think for me the exercise motivation started when I found something I really love to do (swimming). I found I was looking forward to going to the gym because while it was a workout it was also a wonderful way to just de-stress from a long day at work. Recently I added circuit training, using the elliptical and riding the stationary bike to the things I do and now I find I look forward to doing them too because of all the weight I have already lost.

In terms of cheat days, I don't really use them. If I eat a meal that is higher in calories I try to exercise more or cut down the calories in my other meals. I really have tried not to ban any food from my diet as that was one of my downfalls in the past when I did't let myself eat certain things and then ate them again and slowly slid back to eating all bad.

I also am not a fan of working out in the morning. I swim after work or do any of my other activities then and it has worked out just fine.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. I am posting daily and really involved in MFP as I have been doing this for a year and in the past this is the point I get to where I usually fail.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

Like I said, I've gone through various iterations of weight loss. This was usually accomplished through both cardio and weight training. However, even after I'd been at it for several months, I never seemed to get to point where I really wanted to go workout...it was always something that i had to go do. I've read lots of posts on here of people that started running and fell in love with it or turned into serious workout fiends....however, I've never gotten there. When does that change? I enjoy running and working out when I'm doing it (and especially when I'm done...I feel great and always sleep like a baby), but even knowing that, I have a hard time getting the motivation to put on my workout cloths and go for a run or go to the gym.

It changes when you find something you enjoy. Try different things and see if you find something you think is either fun or challenging enough to make you want to do better.
    Also, if you want the chemicals to kick in you need to exercise to a point where you are exhausted but feel this happy feeling and repeat untill you are addicted to the high.. that will make you want to work out even when you dont want to :P
    Also, I have a hard time getting up early to go workout and usually end up going after I get home from work. I'm wondering if it is better to eat prior to working out or waiting until afterwards, which would typically be 9:30 - 10:00 pm? I read where people have said not to eat before working out and not to eat right before bed...I guess I'm wondering does it matter and is one worse than the other?
    No, eat when you have time and need the energy. If you ever get into bodybuilding or really high levels of training it will start to matter but for the average person it does not matter as long as you are getting the energy and nutrients you need at some point during the day.
    What is everyone's opinion on "cheat meals"? My first weekend on MFP I decided that I would treat myself for all of my good work by going out for dinner and a few drinks with some friends. I blew my past target calories by almost double. I like the idea of a cheat meal because I think it will keep me sane, but I'm nervous that I'll just fall back into my old ways.
    For me, it works better to factor everything into the calories.. so if I know I will have a greasy pizza in the evening I will eat less over the day, or less on the next day.. or exercise extra. That way I am not really denying myself anything, I am holding myself accountable. I still have days that I guess count as "cheat" days where I am either over or under my goals and decide its OK. This is a very personal choice though. For some it works better to be very strickt.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i think that you are trying to make too many big changes at once. if you just try to make a few small changes at a time, you'll notice that you can sustain those changes.

try waking up early to exercise just one day and having one less take out meal this week, for the next two weeks. then improve on that every two weeks.

as far as the motivation changing, well, that does take a while to build those habits and also finding something you really really like. for me, i first fell in love with cycling. i could go for miles, exploring the city on my bike for hours. loved it.

eating before a work out takes some trial and error, especially for afternoon/evening work outs. in the morning i generally don't eat if i'm going to lift or have a quick cardio work out. but if i'm going for an hour plus run, or 2 hour bike ride, i know that i need to eat something. a piece of toast with peanut butter and a banana is what i eat in those cases. also coffee. always coffee.

for late afternoon work outs, i try and plan ahead and not have anything heavy before hand. i'll have an apple as i'm leaving work because it has a lot of energy and sits well in my stomach, and an hour later i'm in the gym or running. as far as eating afterwards, that depends on how you feel. after some work outs i don't even want to look at food, and other times i'm like EAT ALL THE THINGS.

if you want to plan a cheat meal, knock yourself out. it works for many people. other people would rather eat what they want but at a deficit and counting the calories. find what works for you.
  • JamericanBoy
    JamericanBoy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I love love love certain kinds of exercise while others, not so much. find one that can get you motivated: walking, biking, swimming. on days at the gym when there is nothing go on to get my heart pumping, I park my but on a bike and load up a two-hour movie on my iPad. before I know it the movie is over and i'm all sweaty! :laugh:
  • AshleyMeggg
    AshleyMeggg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    About cheat days, I personally don't plan them, but they happen sometimes. It should never be a reward though. Most of your life you were probably rewarded with food. "Hey your team did great, you deserve ice cream!" or "You ate all your veggies, have some dessert!" Behaviors like this lead to an emotional relationship with food, which isn't healthy. So what I'm saying is, if you want to go out with your friends and honestly don't care if you go over your calories, that happens to everyone, but if you're going out and over your calories because you were great about watching your calories all week, that isn't good. You're not a dog, don't reward yourself with food.
  • Rosie4732
    Rosie4732 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    what motivates me is the feeling afterward a work out - at the time I can't say i especially enjoy it - I just work through it and push myself harder so its not enjoyable - its hard work and can hurt! but afterwards I feel great :D

I also find pinterest good - especially the motivational quotes - they keep me going ;)

I factor a treat day into my calories for a week - i eat at 100 cals deficit for 6 days then allow myself a treat meal where i can go over by 700 calories (usually friends over for supper etc so can easily control the food/calories ;))

But I'm on maintainence - when I was loosing I would allow a treat about once a month - say a birthday etc - and just enjoy it for what it is. I still try to stick to my rules for treat days (no alcohol, no refined sugars, no artificial sugars, no chemicals and no simple carbs) but if i dont i dont worry too much... however if i do go all out on refined sugars I tend to feel so bad the day after that it makes me think twice the next time! usually my treat calories come from meat :D

Run Fat B**ch Run is also a very good book to find your inner B**ch and grit/motivation - worth a read - take the title with a pinch of salt though ;) trust me - its got good advice
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    For me, working out has just become a habit. I get up every day and go to work.... sometimes I don't want to or don't feel like it, but I always go. Working out has become pretty much the same thing. I don't always enjoy it or want to do it, but I make sure to get the workouts in. I do like trying new things and finding what I enjoy doing more so than other things. I like the changes I feel in my endurance and strength and THAT is what keeps me going.

In terms of a "cheat" meal, I just eat what I want. Every day. I fit it into my calories. If I want to have a burger and fries, I eat a light breakfast and lunch and go for the meal. I would recommend looking up your TDEE (tdee calculators are all over the internet, scoobys has a great one) and subtracting about 20% of that. That should be your total calories for the day. You don't eat back workout calories and you just stick with that number. I'm in maintenance now, but I eat around 1900-2100 calories a day. I still allow myself treats and cravings, but I just alter my day to fit them in. Being restrictive is what causes me to end up bingeing later. Moderation is definitely going to be your friend here. If you want something, have a small bit, count the calories, and move on.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am very like you with exercise. I also can rarely manage to get up early enough to fit it in before work and so usually end up going in the evening around 7.30 or 8pm. This means I end up eating quite late, can be after 10pm some days but it hasn't damaged my weight loss I don't think. I've actually lost about 22kg, but some of that was before I joined this site.

Like you, I do enjoy exercising when I actually get started but sometimes have to drag myself along rather than skipping down the street to the gym :) Having said that, I do find now that I have more energy and want to get out and do something after work, so this does help with motivation! I prefer strength training at the gym and I hate using cardio machines so I run outside and go for a swim instead. Try different things and see what suits you best.

I do have "cheat meals" of a sort. I tend to eat a bit less during the week (200kcal below target) so I can have higher calorie meals at the weekend (500kcal extra on Friday and Saturday). But, I wouldn't really say that it is a "cheat" as I log everything, even on higher calorie days. I have found this works for me as I can have a couple of glasses of wine with dinner or meet up with friends on Friday night and still be at about the right number of calories for the week as a whole. Basically I agree that having some days/meals where you are more relaxed about calories is a good idea to keep sane :)

The most important bit of advice I would give is that you need to be making permanent changes, or else you will just regain the weight when you stop the "diet". Getting (and staying) healthy is something you have to keep doing for it to keep working! Find things you enjoy doing and make any changes work with how you live your life. There is no single solution that is perfect for everyone :)
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    When I started working out, it was something I had to do. Now it is something I want to do, and I feel off if I miss it. It probably changed after about 3-4 months, but I don't remember a specific time. I did enjoy working out before, but I definitely had to motivate myself to get going. One thing that helped me early on was that I was working out at home using EA Sports Active 2 on the Playstation 3, and it had me schedule my workout days. For me, seeing the "missed day" in the calendar became something to avoid.

Now I work out at a health club after work. I typically have a snack about an hour before I go (maybe 100-200 calories), then eat dinner when I get home at around 9:00. It doesn't cause me problems.

As others have said, I don't do "cheat" meals or days. I work foods I like into my daily goals. Every once in a while I'll go to an event (BBQ, work party, etc.) where I will go over, but since that's life I don't worry about it. All-out "I don't care what I eat" days (or meals) should be something that rarely happen though, or you can end up sabotaging your goals.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Ok, so words of advice...

1) Don't compare yourself to other people who might do more. Whatever you choose to do (provided it's a healthy approach and not a fad) is perfectly fine.

2) Think of your weight loss in terms of bodyfat % goals, not strictly weight.

3) Exercise in the morning, at lunch, in the evening whatever.

4) Diet = Weight Loss
    Cardio = Very Efficient way to burn calories you've eaten/improve conditioning
    Heavy Weight Lifting (no barbie weights) = Building Lean Muscle Mass/Strength

Don't get them confused. And for the record, I burn about 400 calories just lifting weight for an hour, and it's fun... unlike cardio lol

5) You don't have to be like a runner in a Nike commercial. If you hate running, just approach it as something to maintain conditioning, do it for like 15-20 min a few times a week, and focus on something else (a class, weight lifting, w/e). Also look up HIIT Cardio, might be more up your alley and it's not bs.

6) Read # 2 again.

7) Log ALL of your calories. Taking the time to plan out your meals (this gets really easy and fast as you get used to it) is the best way to succeed.

8) If you screw up a day or two, or a week, who cares. This shouldn't be your goal, this requires some dedication to pull off, but just keep at it, people will notice you getting in better shape far before you reach your goals. That said if you have 50 lbs to loose, don't expect compliments for the first 5 or possibly even 10 lbs lol Again, read up on bodyfat %.

9) If it suits you, eat before you workout, and if it doesnt, don't. Weight loss is cumulative, not limited to one or two choices like this, and besides it doesn't make a difference except in your energy levels for the workout.

10) As for cheat days, only you know the answer to that. Do the math, like I said weight loss is cumulative. If you eat 3,000 calories in a day and that negates all the calories you created in your deficit, then you just wasted the week. On the other hand, food is enjoyable and an important part of my life at least. You just have the make the decision on the fly, knowing yourself. Read #8.

11) For 95% of people, when you eat hardly matters in the long run lol. Just start dieting and keep track of things, and what you're loosing. THEN start making decisions like htis once you have a feel for it.
  • jmburke22
    jmburke22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and the great advice. I'm going to try to keep my "cheats" to a single meal and not an entire day. It's not worth throwing away a weeks worth of hard work...but I'm also seeing that if I do slip up that I just need to keep going and not get discouraged by it. Thanks again everyone.

I'm looking for people to help keep me motivated so please add me if you are interested.
  • madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I have a similar question about exercise motivation. How do you stop yourself from losing interest and motivation in an exercise? I find things I really enjoy doing but after a while I just get bored. Do many of you change it up regularly to do different things to keep interested?

Thanks!

ETA: its not just exercise I get bored with, must be the short attention span, haha!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I have a similar question about exercise motivation. How do you stop yourself from losing interest and motivation in an exercise? I find things I really enjoy doing but after a while I just get bored. Do many of you change it up regularly to do different things to keep interested?

Thanks!

ETA: its not just exercise I get bored with, must be the short attention span, haha!

no worries.

i sign up for races. i do a handful of triathlons, mud runs, open water swims, and foot races a year. i'd probably get bored with just running or something 12 months a year, so i like to switch things up.