Question for men!

Options
So I've worked out with a few untrained/newbie lifters (all men) and I've noticed a pattern...

Why is it men (sorry if this is a broad assumption) feel uncomfortable doing squats, dead lifts, good mornings, etc.? It's like they all have said it feels unnatural to stick their butt out or perform exercises in these seemingly compromising positions.

Is it simply normal to feel awkward in these positions initially? Or is it because men generally lift "manly" (chest, abs, biceps)?

Also, anyone notice this as well? Or maybe you were one of these men?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Men tend to have tighter hamstrings than women, so they have more difficulty sticking their butt out on squats, deadlifts, bent-over rows, etc. Maybe that's what you're noticing.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i see a lot of guys w/ huge upper bodys n skinny *kitten* legs n its so laaammmeee.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    i see a lot of guys w/ huge upper bodys n skinny *kitten* legs n its so laaammmeee.

Absolutely this. Ostrich legs I call them and its not a good look. Some leg training once a week is essential. I also do 40 squats per day to make myself feel better!!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    So I've worked out with a few untrained/newbie lifters (all men) and I've noticed a pattern...

Why is it men (sorry if this is a broad assumption) feel uncomfortable doing squats, dead lifts, good mornings, etc.? It's like they all have said it feels unnatural to stick their butt out or perform exercises in these seemingly compromising positions.

Is it simply normal to feel awkward in these positions initially? Or is it because men generally lift "manly" (chest, abs, biceps)?

Also, anyone notice this as well? Or maybe you were one of these men?

It's not something I've ever thought about. You're either striving to do the lifts correctly, with the correct form, or you're an idiot heading for serious injury as the weights increase.

As for the whole upper body thing - this is a function of most people being on retarded bro-splits they read about in a magazine or got from someone they saw at a gym once. Once you start a novice on a split, they'll find a way to avoid the day for the bit they don't like (which would be leg day) and keep the stuff they do like (which would be a manly chest, or great guns)

If a novice starts on a good beginners routine and they are enthusiastic and want to learn and have the appropriate concerns about their form as they go along, they'll be fine.

As for feeling awkward in these positions, it's an unfamiliar position for men in our cultures (speaking broadly of the western world). In asia, where hunkering down in a squat is culturally widely accepted, you'll find a great range of motion and flexibility in men.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't know... haven't done these... drag my a** to the gym, make me do it, and then I'll tell you.

Best guess? they think/feel like the movements are "girly" looking poses?

Better to look "girly" than be a wimp about it, no?

The gym just ain't my bag right now, so it'll probably be awhile before I know first hand.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Well, you did say newbie men lifters. Newbie male lifters tend to be curl bros with chicken legs, so I don't think you are wrong with this observation. But, by the same token you could say that newbie female lifters tend to do what exactly? Sit at the adduction machines and lift tiny tiny little weights. :wink: Eventually guys get around to doing squats and deadlifts like they're supposed to, and the women start moving some real iron.

More experienced lifters get past their gender hangups and it balances out. I'll admit that when I first saw an adduction/abduction machine I was a little bit wigged out. But I got over it. :tongue:

But in all seriousness I think it has to do with how each gender is physically aspected to different advantages. We all know that males put on muscle faster than women typically, and a trained male has upper body strength advantages that most women don't have. So I would bet you that a lot of new male lifters are just doing what they feel aspected to. It makes the newbie feel manly to go into the gym and start benching and curling, even if it's not done very well because its a manly dudeish studly thing. :laugh:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I see just as many women use poor form with these lifts. Newbie = lack of skill regardless of gender.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on mental toughness. Squats and Deads are generally more difficult than Bench and Curls... Probably has something to do with not wanting to leave their ego at the door.

I know when i first started a few years back I avoided squats for a couple weeks, deadlifts too. Eventually though they became my two favorite days and I now find Bench and Curls to be boring... hah.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I stay away from the squat rack because I'm afraid of it. I work out alone at the gym so I don't have a spotter if I can't get the weight off of me. They may be embarrassed if they need a woman spotter to save them.

I do my leg workouts on the circuit machines. Extensions, curls, calf raises, and then the squat press machine.

I also don't do lunges at the gym because I probably could not do that many of them and I don't want to be embarrassed.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Only the mentally weak men avoid squats and deadlifts. Those are more difficult lifts for men because men tend to have narrower and less mobile hips than women. And most men aren't going to put in the work to overcome those difficulties because, like Kyle said, it requires checking your ego.
  • AngelGabriel28
    Options
    i love to squat, dead lift, bent over row, i don't understand who these people are?
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with men in general.

They are more difficult exercises for men and women.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I do squats and dead lifts in body pump and I can not squat as low as the women.. Push ups, Chest track I do perfectly.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Who are these so call men to whom you speak of?
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i love to squat, dead lift, bent over row, i don't understand who these people are?

QFT

I am relativity new to lifting and right now I am on light weight as I move through SL. I am not embarrassed and I do the lifts right because when the **** gets heavy, I don't want to break my back.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I think people underestimate the importance of the hip/leg/glute muscles. They are really important for physical performance and power.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Men tend to have tighter hamstrings than women, so they have more difficulty sticking their butt out on squats, deadlifts, bent-over rows, etc. Maybe that's what you're noticing.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed that. There are 2 squat racks in my gym and I have to wait for others to finish about half the time.
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think people underestimate the importance of the hip/leg/glute muscles. They are really important for physical performance and power.

^^This
    Your legs are where all the stability comes from for your strength. Ignoring legs its just plain silly.

Personally I love doing squats. I find it a crazy man injection when I pull off a new PB. Who cares If you have to stick your butt out. I'd rather have my *kitten* out for a couple sets than stuff my back.