Pre workout Diet

Is it necessary to have a portion of carbohydrates one hour before gym or should we replace it with some proteins, especially if we want to maintain or loos a bit of more fat, ?
I mean weight training is not that much calorie consuming to eat cabs before it.
What and when is the best time to eat pre workout? Isn't one hour so short for digesting food?

Replies

• needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    any ideas?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    A lot of people, including myself, lift fasted. I don't eat before working out and I only have a meal 6-7 hours after hitting the gym.
    It's a matter of preference and nothing is ''necessary''
  • needernt
    But I want to know the the way. I think one hour is so short to digest your food before gym . and why should it be carbs if we don't aim to add body fat? protein makes a better option I think
  • luqman91
    luqman91 Posts: 5 Member
    You don't really need any pre workout meals. Its best to drink coffee prior to lifting if you want some sort of focus. Also its best to lift 2-3 hours after you eat. You see insulin is present in the blood stream while insulin is wondering about, no growth hormone will be secreted. You need GH levels to be spiked while you workout, of course this is just my opinion, every human being is different. If you want the best workout don't eat before you workout and at least 30 mins after you workout. Its all bro science the whole preworkout meal. Its bull ****!!!!!!! Do whatever you feel is right, control your macros and workout hard.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    I don't really think it matters. If you're getting adequate nutrition throughout the day, your muscles should have sufficient glycogen to get through an hour of lifting whether you eat an hour beforehand or not. And, from what I understand, it's in the repair stage (after lifting) that you need protein to rebuild, but again, if you get adequate nutrition through the day it shouldn't be an issue.

Do what makes you most comfortable. I don't lift fasted unless it's first thing in the morning. But I also don't like to lift within an hour of eating because I get a bit queasy if I do, and would be embarrassed to puke because of it :laugh: :blushing:
  • needernt
    Then why they stress the importance of post and pre workout meal to maximize muscle building?
    there are so many recipe around the web
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    post workout meal should be quick digesting carbs, lower fat, and medium protein to help your body quickly get the needed glycogen to the muscles for rebuilding. that being said... its personal preference. i chug a protein shake after working out and don't eat "real" food for 5 hours or so...

as far as a pre-workout meal, personally i get up and workout in a fasted state in the morning, or if i do go at night i don't eat for 4 hours prior or i get sick if i do any cardio. i think that you are supposed to eat carbs before working out cause they are available to your body much more quickly than protein- protein takes longer to digest, and when you are lifting weights or running most of your bodies internal energy should be going to fueling your muscles, but if your body is digesting food the energy that should be going to your muscles is being diverted to your digestion as well.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Then why they stress the importance of post and pre workout meal to maximize muscle building?

'They' are probably supplement companies trying to get you to buy their over priced energy bars, pre-workouts and recovery shakes.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

Marketing to get you to spend money. Apparently it has worked on you.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    This is the closest you can get to a real "Answer":
    http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Bottom line: eat normal meals and it doesn't matter.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    I bought some meals that were specifically designed for pre and post workout. LolBroScience hooked me up.
  • needernt
    Well you cannot deny the effects of Whey protein in muscle building.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member

You can build muscle without consuming whey protein. Regular, real-food-type protein works quite well too.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

Well you can deny that whey (it's not a proper noun) is any better at muscle building than any other complete protein source.

Whey is a byproduct of the dairy industry. It is pushed hard by supplement companies. It's a quality protein source, absolutely, but it's not that special for muscle building.