cant find an excersise i enjoy

Options
13»

Replies

• 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I got a part-time job where I board my horse. I love working with all the horses and get a great burn every day, when I'm not working I'm either working my horse or riding.

I also am learning to run and going through C25K for the second time. I can't get the zombies run app but I heard it's a lot more fun from others on the site using it. I also like hiking so I'm running on the hiking trails.

Finally, I work with a personal trainer 2 days per week and that is not my favorite thing but I decided I'm worth it. If you can't afford the gym I understand but once you decide you are worth the effort the exercise will be easier.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    My goal over the next few months is just try and remember how to play. I'm doing 5x5 in the mornings so I have huge chunks of daylight that, really, I just want to play like a 12 year old.
    m
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Just dance!! No zumba class needed! Watch youtube and follow, or come up with your own moves!
    Listen to Reggeaton and start dropping that booty low!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    walking, biking, roller skating/blading, running, dancing, soccer, hiking, basketball, swimming, none of those things are interesting? You don't need to be in a gym to get a workout. You can even go play on a kid's playground and get some good exercise.
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There's "enjoy" and then there's "enjoy" - sometimes you just have to go with the thing you dislike the least. And with most types of exercise, you won't really enjoy them until you get a basic level of mastery, which means doing stuff you hate for some period of time. Don't give up too soon!

That said, try to figure out what you like about Zumba - is it the group energy? The dancing? The constant switching up? Do you feel especially good at it? Then try to find something that has those same qualities. If it's the group energy, that will be kind of tough if there aren't any classes near you. But you can start your own exercise group! My mother-in-law used to invite all her friends over to do yoga DVDs in her living room twice a week, they had a blast.

Or if you really can't find anything you like, at least try to find the exercise that gets you the most benefit in the shortest time - bodyweight circuits are great for this. 25 minutes, 3x/week, boom, done. Plus they're free, and you can do them anywhere, so you don't have to worry about "oh I can't afford the gym" or "it's snowing, I can't hit the pool today".

^All of this. I do not like exercising and going to the gym or classes is pretty inconvenient right now.
    This is why I love the 30DS. I can do it at home and in 25 mins. Do I "enjoy" doing it ? No , not really. I do, however, love the results.
    Another 30DS fan here. I dont enjoy exercise while I am doing it. But, I feel great afterwards. The results are definitely worth it, so I keep working out even in my 6th month of pregnancy. That said, try out different exercises and see what works for u.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I have a 15-year old, and I've told him that if he 1) plays for 45 mins and 2) works up a sweat, we are willing to call playing the drums cardio.

It doesnt have to be traditional exercise, sports, or anything like that ...

ETA: In our house, video game time is earned through activity ....
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Personally I love walking! .... It's a great stress reliever, you can talk things over to yourself as you walk, you can listen to music, you can walk with a friend, spouse etc. :love:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you really liked zumba, you'd find the closest class and go to it.

i really like swimming. i have limited options, but i found the pool that works for me. it's about a 20-30 minute drive from my home, and costs separate from my gym membership. but i make it work.
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Xbox Kinect. They have all types of video games that you have to use your whole body for. When my brother lived with me, I was so addicted to playing it.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    My wife likes Wii Fit. The interactive nature of it makes it better than watching videos.

I like cycling. Coming into the winter, it might not be good to start that now, but it's what I do.
  • fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    I suggest trying to find a sport you like. Team sports can be particularly motivating. Intramural leagues often have recreational level teams. Ultimate frisbee, soccer, tennis, dodgeball, wrestling (Jiu Jitsu gym style), climbing gym (all climbing walls), and more. I love tennis myself, and find I'll work at it much longer than I would run on my own. Basketball is another good one. Cool thing is for most of these sports, there are ways to contribute even if you are 'unskilled', like rebounding in basketball, setting picks.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Last summer I reached out of my comfort zone and started going to the water aerobics at the local pool and LOVED it! But now it is not pool weather here, so I decided to start going to the local aerobics class at our church. It is really fun. It is just a small group of women and we have a really good workout. The instructor really researches her stuff to find new things to try. And they only charge $1 and have all of the equipment we need for our workouts, like weights, steps, exercise balls, resistance bands, and floor mats.

Aerobics is only Mondays and Thursdays, so I try to walk the High School track on the nights that I do not go to aerobics if I am in town. I live out in the country so its not always convenient. So I go whenever my kids are at their functions, such as football practice, youth group, or girl scout meetings. I make it work into my hectic schedule also.

So maybe you could try to find some type of aerobics or workout classes locally that are not in the gym??

I just started aquafit too...didn't think I'd like it, but man is it a work out. I hate working out, not one part of it is "fun", But you know what? I hate eating right and logging everything. I also hate paying bills and working every day. It's called being an adult. Either you exercise or you don't. It's your choice.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Check your local community center, town rec office or school. Many offer free or low cost classes or programs.
  • sprocketism
    sprocketism Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Get yourself the Schwinn A20 for $275 and put it in front of your favorite TV show. Pedal the miles away! 413 calories burned in 60 mins of biking and Grey's Anatomy! I also walk 4 miles on treadmill at 3.5 mph while watching Frasier! :wink:

exercise.png
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Martial arts? I've been training in karate for nearly a year and can't believe how much I enjoy it.

Weights? Have been lifting heavy for a few months now and am surprised at how much I love it.

I never thought I'd like either of the above and found I was wrong! It's worth trying things our even if you think they don't appeal to you, you might be in for a pleasant surprise!
  • TammyGKRN
    Options
    Go to a local high school and run bleachers!! Will you love it? NOPE!! Will you love the results? YOU BETCHA!!! It isn't the activity itself you wanna love its the result of doing so that you love!! You got it girl!! Don't get discouraged!! Just show up and do it anyway!!
  • philleah
    philleah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would suggest joining a recreational sports league in your town. I joined kickball a few months ago, and I bet that I burn about 250 calories in one game. Lots of running, and it's fun to be with your friends!!

Although, I must admit, there is some beer involved (moderation) but I totally feel that I get a workout in!
  • philleah
    philleah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Go to a local high school and run bleachers!! Will you love it? NOPE!! Will you love the results? YOU BETCHA!!! It isn't the activity itself you wanna love its the result of doing so that you love!! You got it girl!! Don't get discouraged!! Just show up and do it anyway!!

I totally agree. Exercise isn't ALWAYS going to be fun.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    prancercise
  • rbienvenu
    Options
    Staying motivated to exercise is one of the more challenging things in life when we have so many things pulling at us. Not easy to workout at home because of all the things in the house telling us that they are the priority: fix me, run this errand, pick me up, blah blah blah. But motivated we must be if we want to receive any real gains from working out.

It's important I think to have a variety of things on the exercise menu not just one. Walking, sprinting, jump rope, yoga, Tai Chi, exercise DVDs etc. And here is the deal... it's a lot easier not exercising than exercising, no? To exercise you must get out of your comfort zone, and in all things in life, nothing great is ever accomplished inside our comfort zones.

There is nothing "comfortable" about exercising, in fact if it is comfortable then you are not pushing yourself as you need to to get the results you are looking for. We must push ourselves beyond our perceived limits to grow. A muscle does not grow unless it is pushed to try to go beyond it's capacity.

And who said we need to wear ourselves out for an hour to see results. 15 minutes of focused exercise will give us tremendous results!

With a DVD program you don't need to do it for an hour. How bout just 15 minutes one day, the next day do something else. The next day go back to the DVD. That way it keeps it interesting.

Try JNL Fusion. It keeps the workouts varied and interesting. http://yourfitnessfactor.com/