I started New Rules of Lifting for women, a bit worried

Options
Hey everyone, i am on my third week of the new rules of lifting program for women. What i am worried about is the calorie intake and not losing weight. I have, in the past, always went for low calorie diets and lost weight fast. The problem was i gained it back even faster. So now that i am on the program. i feel like i am not losing any weight. Also i already subtracted the max 300 from the calorie intake i calculated. Anyone who has done the program have any advice?

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Forget how much you weigh and focus on getting fitter and stronger.

Also, track your measurements in inches. Most women who want to lose weight, actually don't want to lose weight, they want to get slimmer and fit into smaller clothes. So don't give weight so much importance and look at inch measurements instead.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well, I may not be much help, but I think it's neat that I, too, am half-way throught Stage 1 of NROLFW. I am at goal weight, so this is not about weight loss for me at all. I want to get strong. My advice to you would be to allow that it is early yet. Very, very early. I don't feel like he's actually got me working that terribly hard yet - I get through the tour in 30 minutes. What I have noticed, physically, is that "fat" is disappearing and muscles are building. The scale says I am up 2-3 pounds, but that could be anything. I am feeling AWESOME. My body is changing, and I think, looking ahead, Stage 2 is really going to turn up the heat.

Just keep reading the book. Go back and read it again. It's a whole way of thinking, and I believe all you have to do is work the program.

For the record, I use what MFP gives me for weight training and also throw on 150-200 calories worth of cardio three days a week. I work out for another 300-400 calories two additional days a week and rest for two days. I EAT BACK EVERY LAST CALORIE TO FUEL MY ACTIVITY.

It works. Just do it!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    The two previous posts are great. Weight is an arbitrary number that equates our relationship with gravity... not a measure of health. That said, muscle weighs more than fat so you might even see some gain. If you focus on inches lost you will see better results because weight training will slim you down while building your muscle mass. In addition, muscle requires more calories to stay alive making it hungry tissue as opposed to energy storage. Your BRM and TDEE will change and increase as muscle gain is made.

Keep at it.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Ditto rereading the book. It explains what to expect from the program, including slower losses on the scale. It is not a weight loss program, it is a FAT loss program, meaning the scale will go down much slower, but your body will change quite a bit. Definitely try measuring in addition to just weighing. I've slowed down to a little under half pound a week of weight loss, but already lost an inch from my waistline and almost a half inch from my thighs. The only measurement that hasn't gone down at least a little bit is my arms, and those are firming up nicely.
  • daphneC94
    Options
    Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. I have been taking pictures and measurements because i did know coming into it that i wouldn't be losing much weight. I will stick to what i have been doing :)