Help with sugar free meals, please?

Options
JamiesMummyX
JamiesMummyX Posts: 37 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi.

I suffer with awful psoriasis and after lack of help from the doctors and countless research, I've decided to try a sugar free, wheat free diet. There is lots of information out there and whilst it's not a guarantee I guess it will help me lose a couple pounds anyway.

I'm a sugar pop junkie..energy drinks, red bull in particular & cupcakes, now gone from my diet.. I'm on day 2 and I'm not really looking forward to the withdraw effects but yeah!

I'm really struggling with ideas for sugar free meals/snacks. Fruit is out but I think I can salvage some low sugar veggies - I do love my vegetables!

I'm only giving up sugar at the moment and will wean wheat out in the near future if I don't see results from sugar. About 6 weeks for each food group I'll be trying and seeing if it helps my psoriasis or not basically!

Does anyone have any ideas please at all, and hints/tips for giving up sugar - at the moment all I can think of is, if it tastes nice you can't have it! :)

Thanks.

Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm here more so to track my sugar, carbs and protein more than calories but I would like to lose some weight too. Xx

Replies

• JamiesMummyX
    Options
    Anybody please?
  • Rosie4732
    Rosie4732 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was adicted to refined sugars - to the point I'd hypo and faint - even had tests to diabetes but was luckily negative - I'm just highly reactive to it

so.... cutting it out sucks - you'll feel crap - shakey, faint, weak, crave it all the time, you'll hate your 'diet' and will think of sugary things all the time

Deal with it - go cold turkey and get over it - it will get better I promise - but until it does get some grit and determination and live through it

sorry I cant be more positive but I'd rather be honest! and I'll say it again - you WILL stop craving it and you WILL feel far far better - but it will take time and it will not be pleasant for a while

dont be tempted by atrificial sugars - these are horrific things that will just make you crave them more and will not help you diet (and in that note cut out all 'diet' things too - they are full of chemicals and crap!)

food - you will learn to find natural healthy foods sweet - what tastes bitter and like cardboard now will taste wonderful in a few months - trust me - i've gone through all of this!

Eat clean - cook from scratch - goole 'skinny' recipes and you'll find loads that are really yummy :)

good luck and I hope that helps....

oh - I also dont eat wheat and cut it out at the same time - its easy if you do some research ;)

for example a typlical day for me food wise:

Breakfast:
    small bowl of porridge (oats and semi skimmed milk)
    plus
    greek yoghurt, banana, some berries and a tablespoon of linseed

lunch:
    fish + salad

dinner:
    green veg + meat
    some fruit

i dont snack - it doesnt work for me - I like to feel full after a meal so I save my calories for each meal

oh - and a sweet hot drink instead of tea and/or coffee - I drink liqourice tea - I'll add mint leaves or a green tea bag too for different tastes
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Couple of ideas :-

Omelette for breakfast, perhaps with some spinach or mushrooms or maybe bacon. Zero sugar.

Steak for evening meal with broccoli and green beans - only low carb low GI veg
  • JamiesMummyX
    Options
    Thanks Rosie. I know it's gonna be awful but don't think I quite understand just HOW awful. I've gone through phases of just cutting out pop, or just cutting out biscuits, or just chocolate ect and there all pretty awful alone but, it's got to be done and I know I've got the determination to do it.

Thanks for the website I'll check it out.

What about diet coke? I love diet coke!

--

Thanks yarwell! Unfortunately I don't eat eggs but love spinach, mushrooms and bacon so would happily just sit down to a mix of that.

Also steak is a great idea, I haven't had steak in months! It's off on my list, thanks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Snacks - nuts, seeds, veggie sticks w/ hummus or pb, edamame

Meals - almost anything. Chili, soups, stews, grilled salmon w/ roasted vegetables, shrimp (or any meat) and veg stir fry with brown rice, pork tenderloin with baked sweet potato, small steak with a side of greens, chicken salad, omelet. I can think of more meals without sugar than with.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi JamiesMummy,

I am sensitive to refined sugar, so I know about the effects that too much sugar can have. I just watch the amount of sugar I take in, but I do have a sweet once in a great while. For me, one sweet is a treat.

You said you want to eliminate fruit from your diet due to its sugar content. I would not recommend that, as fruit contains necessary fiber. I would suggest having one or two pieces a day.

As for how to eat sugar free meals, it's easy. Just don't add anything with refined sugar to your diet, including energy drinks, candy, etc. Eat wholesome foods. Don't eliminate things like yogurt, unless it has high fructose syrup in it. For example, being lactose intolerant, the only yogurt I can eat is Dannon, which is low sugar and lower calorie. I love the stuff!

Finally, you said you like to drink Red Bull and Diet Coke. Red Bull has loads of sugar and Diet Coke does not, but both of them are loaded with caffeine. When I got rid of caffeine, my entire life changed. I was having some really horrible physical symptoms from caffeine. Of course, that's just me and may not apply to you. :smile:

In any event, good luck on your journey! You will find plenty of support here.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Snacks - nuts, seeds, veggie sticks w/ hummus or pb, edamame

Meals - almost anything. Chili, soups, stews, grilled salmon w/ roasted vegetables, shrimp (or any meat) and veg stir fry with brown rice, pork tenderloin with baked sweet potato, small steak with a side of greens, chicken salad, omelet. I can think of more meals without sugar than with.

Exactly! All of this sounds more delicious than a candy bar or an energy drink to me.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Couple of ideas :-

Omelette for breakfast, perhaps with some spinach or mushrooms or maybe bacon. Zero sugar.

Steak for evening meal with broccoli and green beans - only low carb low GI veg

Low carb veggies are your best bet for things like fiber too. Here is a list of veggies that are non-starchy from the ADA!

Amaranth or Chinese spinach
    Artichoke
    Artichoke hearts
    Asparagus
    Baby corn
    Bamboo shoots
    Beans (green, wax, Italian)
    Bean sprouts
    Beets
    Brocolli
    Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cabbage (green, bok choy, Chinese)
    Carrots
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Chayote
    Coleslaw (packaged, no dressing)
    Cucumber
    Daikon
    Eggplant
    Greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip)
    Hearts of palm
    Jicama
    Kohlrabi
    Leeks
    Mushrooms
    Okra
    Onions
    Pea pods
    Peppers
    Radishes
    Salad greens (chicory, endive, escarole, lettuce, romaine, spinach, arugula, radicchio, watercress)
    Sprouts
    Squash (cushaw, summer, crookneck, spaghetti, zucchini)
    Swiss chard
    Turnips
    Water chestnuts
    Yard-long beans

Basically any meat and veggie combos are great and have little to no sugar in them at all!
  • chellep123
    Options
    Hey there. Sorry your having it tuff at the moment. I can sense the desperation. I recommend you go to Doug
    Kaufman website. He deals with fungal issues that's responsible for many of the issues we have no answers for. Your gonna love his site. He also has a show called "know the cause". Read their articles and watch his videos. Also suggest you try his phase one diet. In the mean time try coconut oil for psoriasis. A product called Aquaphor is a miracle worker to although not all ingredients natural. Let me know how it goes. I know its gonna work for you, stay encouraged!
  • XxCaz89xX
    Options
    http://mydukandiet.com/

Lots of super yummy meal ideas based on a low sugar low carb diet!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It's not hard - look at paleo - that sounds a lot like where you are headed. Their recipes would fit your plan well when you cut wheat.

Not hard - just think meat, veggies and spices.

Are you cutting fruit as well? Might not be something you have to cut. Unless your goal is low carb, I'd keep fresh fruits (and with low carb there are a few you can still keep). And starchy foods like potatoes - it turns to sugar in the body - but unless you are going low carb why cut those?

I once thought I'd never get away from diet sodas. I never was a regular soda drinker. I drank a ridiculous amount at one point. Never thought I could let them go. Had my first summer off as a teacher and decided that when I left school for summer I was done with sodas. Drank last one on the drive home. Now I drink about 2/month - usually a diet root beer. Diet coke is just nasty to me now. My main drinks are tea, coffee, water. I never cut caffeine. I just wanted to be rid of sodas. Never went through caffeine withdrawals. I don't have a reason to cut my caffeine so I'm not.
  • JamiesMummyX
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!! I really appreciate it!

I will be leaving fruit mostly, I'm not a huge fruit eater anyway but no doubt will still have the odd satsuma and grapes.

Thanks so much for that list of vegetables kenzietate, it's quite a list - there is more out there than I expected vegetable wise. :)

Thanks also for the various links, I'll be sure to go and check them out tonight.

I'm quite excited to finally get a bit healthier, knowing my young son will be too (not cutting his food, but nice to have a more educated view on health) but the whole thought is a bit daunting really. I'll get there though, I'm sure!

Sugar is just for starters, it may not even work and I might ween myself back onto the more natural sugars eventually and cut a different food group, dairy or all oats or something similar. But I'm hoping sugar and wheat will crack it for me.

I'm a huge pasta and rice eater which is why I'm struggling a bit with meals. It's usually my main dish with a side of parsnips/sweetcorn/peas/brussels being my favs, and along with not being a massive meat eater (no reason, just not something I cook often for myself!) it's all a bit tricky.

I'm looking forward to some extra steak, mince, chicken in my diet though.

I'm still open to everyones opinions/advice!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    On a bad day - in a pinch - there is Annie's gluten free mac and cheese - it's a rice pasta. It's not bad. Also, the cheese is more natural than Kraft powdered cheese.

Also - I'm fond of just sitting out a bunch of bits - meats, olives, tomato hunks, asst cheese, leftovers of whatever, dips etc and making a meal - good use of that last olive in the jar or that last 1/2 cup of roast. Lots of bits add up to good meals sometimes.

Another fave of mine is the BAS (Big A Salad) - whatever is left from last night on top of a mega veggie salad - topped with something that appeals to me (bottled dressing, vinegar/oil, lemon and salt - whatever works with the leftovers).
  • wallacehk
    Options
    Go cold turkey! You can do it. Hard but worth it.

I snack heaps. Celery and cottage cheese, almonds...

Here's a yummy sugar free dinner

Fiery Fish Tacos with Crunchy Corn Salsa

1 cup corn
    • 1/2 cup diced red onion
    • 1 cup peeled, chopped jicama/swede
    • 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    • 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
    • 1 lime, zested and juiced
    • 2 tablespoons unsweetened greek yoghurt
    • 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons salt
    • 6 (4 ounce) fillets white fish
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 12 corn tortillas, warmed
    Directions
    1. Preheat grill for high heat.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix together corn, red onion, jicama, red bell pepper, and cilantro. Stir in lime juice and zest.
    3. In a small bowl, combine cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, and salt. Brush each fillet with olive oil, and sprinkle with spices.
    4. Arrange fillets on grill grate, and cook for 3 minutes per side. For each fiery fish taco, top two corn tortillas with fish, yoghurt, and corn salsa.

For breakfast I have porridge with milk. Lunch often leftovers, or homemade soups, or wraps.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You could always search online, but basically it sounds like you can eat all meats, most veggies, and maybe things like rice or other whole grains (other than wheat). This would leave out dairy, too? What about cheese, or nuts? Focus on what you can eat, not what you can't.
  • JamiesMummyX
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! And the replies!

Yeah I'm pretty much finding it quite hard so far but still doable just pushing past the cravings at the moment. Currently, I know I can eat all meats, spices, some oils, nuts and I'll be keeping dairy, I don't usually eat much of it but I've already found myself buying some brie and grated cheese to try as it seems dairy is gonna now be a big staple in my meal plans, which is due tomorrow.

I'm already seeing some health benefits, feeling more energetic and currently (luckily) suffering no headaches or ill effects from the sugar apart from mega cravings - I've lost a few lbs already, though possible water weight, 3lb first 2 days, last 2 days another 2lb. But seems all I've eaten in meat and tuna for the past couple days.

I've googled recipes but I'm actually finding it quite hard to find any credible websites with lots of meals that don't contain them, seems there is a couple here and there but that's about it! Shopping is due tomorrow so will have lots more options then as have shopped accordingly as this week have just had to go with what we had in.

Thanks again!
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jelly is a blessing
    Pepsi Max/Coke Zero/Red bull sugar free.

All low cals and help with sugar cravings.
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've been on a mission to cut sugars from my diet. I noticed that the more I cut, the less I want. The same sweet things I used to eat my entire life now taste too sweet to me. In the past I could never imagine feeling this way. I used to love sweets. I went without any sugar today and at the end of the day, I'm so proud of myself for surviving that.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Here's a great site with lots of info & a forum to check out how others are handling such a diet. I am also doing a no starch, no sugar diet for my health. As an aside, all my skin issues have cleared up, skin tags have shrunk and some have even disappeared. I had atopic dermatitis for years....this cleared up, the skin on my face is bright and even, it really surprised me because I thought triamcinolone was going to be something I'd need forever.

It took about 3 months for everything to get noticeably better & it just gets better & better all the time. Even break outs are a thing of the past for me. At 45, I've *never* had a time in my adult life where I didn't have blemishes, until now.

My daughter also has it, but she keeps away from nuts & dairy & hasn't had a flare up since. Good luck with it, it's easy once you get the hang of it...I went cold turkey & have been eating this way since April of this year.

I would start with the keto FAQ's first....

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

Here's a calculator to help you figure your macros too...

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

For me, I'm not sure which was more of a bonus, the weight loss or the skin clearing up....either way....WINNING. :laugh:
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    BREAKFASTS:

Eggs with green peppers, onions and cheddar

Cottage cheese with fresh berries

Also it doesn't have to be breakfast food, eat leftovers or anything that fits.

OTHER EXAMPLES OF MEALS:

Fish, steamed vegetables, cottage cheese and sugar free jello

Grilled chicken,. steamed broccoli, cottage cheese and a piece of fresh fruit

Grilled top sirloin or filet mignon with baked asparagus sprinkled with Mrs Dash and sautéed mushrooms and onions.

Salad with chicken or steak, blue cheese, baby tomatoes and 1 tsp A-1 sauce. (A FAVE OF MINE)

Apple Chardonay Chicken Sausage (From Trader Joes) with a side of sauerkraut or beans and some cottage cheese.

Grilled lean meat with grilled vegetable kabobs.
This discussion has been closed.