30ds - Side lunges and push ups

Options
Hello,
I really need some motivation. I am now at day 7 of level 1 and I mostly follow Natalie moves except when it comes to push ups and side lunges where I have to switch to the modified version. However, even then I have to make breaks and my push ups are not as far down as Anita's and don't get me started on raising my arms during the side lunges. I can maybe do 5-7 but then it starts to get impossible.
I just don't believe I will be able to do them in the near future. It's just pathetic how weak my arms are.

Were you able to complete all exercises when you moved to Level 2 after 10 days or did you also struggle with some exercises?

Replies

• jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Not everyone, specifically no one can generally go from doing nothing to doing exercise in 10 days. Repeat phase 1 until you can do the majority of it; then go to 2. There is nothing wrong with repeating phase 1.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hang on in there and take it at your own pace, there is no 'one size fits all' scenario. If you don't feel able to move on to L2 after 10 days don't. Keep at L1 for a bit longer or do intermittent days and see how L2 suits you.

I have done 30DS three rounds and now doing Extreme Shed and Shred 5 times a week as a baseline workout. I couldn't do a single puch up when I started. You will get there it just takes time and practice.
    Good Luck Jules xx
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    go at your own pace, there is a fine line between pushing yourself to be your best and pushing too hard and getting hurt. once it starts getting a little easier push through a little and go to the next level.
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I know those exercises in Ripped in 30...they are my worst too...but I managed to do side lunges...still doing modified push UPS and I don't think I will be able to do anytime soon.
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words. I guess I just felt down after reading that it got so much easier for many after day 5 and that they did all the harder exercises. I mean I know better, right? Although I am within a healthy bmi range I never really did anything to keep fit and I have an office job so I can not expect miracles :embarassed:
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I manage do them, but I doubt I can get as far into them as either. I for sure can't do the advance version on the lunges, no matter if it's a forward, backward or sideways lunge! Just get into them as much as you can. I can do a couple of the advance push ups but that's it. I need to stay on the modified version for those.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    go at your own pace, there is a fine line between pushing yourself to be your best and pushing too hard and getting hurt. once it starts getting a little easier push through a little and go to the next level.

^^This. There's no need to go as fast as the girls right off the bat. Proper form is the most important thing to avoid injury and get the best results, so take your time, work on your form, and over time it will get easier.

For the side lunges- Lunge to the side first, make sure your feet are positioned correctly, your butt is back, and your knee isn't coming over your toes. When your lunge is solid, do the anterior raise, then push back to standing. Once your lunges are solid and your shoulders gain strength you'll be able to do it all at once.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway through Level 2 now and I wasn't able to go straight through Level 1 without short breaks. I did wind up using multiple weights -- I used heavier weights for the exercises I found easy and lighter weights for the exercises I had trouble with. That helped a lot, though I still would have to take occasional breaks. I have to take breaks in Level 2, too, but you know what? I'm still getting results. I'm only down 5 or so pounds since I started but I'm down a pants size and I've had several people tell me my face looks thinner. My legs are more toned, too.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The format 30DS uses focuses mainly on building cardiovascular endurance rather than strength. If you want to improve your upper body strength you need to be training with a different format entirely than what 30DS has you doing.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Level 1 is frustrating ... move onto Level 2 after the 10 days... you'll be just fine.

You'll probably still need to do a mixture of both advanced/beginner.

Keep going, and keep advancing. That's how the program is designed to work.... I don't think many people jump right into the advanced moves. Most of us are beginners.

You can always repeat the program, and see how much you've grown since you started.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What weights are you using for the side lunges?
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I love the 30 DS and have been doing it as part of my regular work out for 5 months now, and there are still exercises I can't fully do or find tough.
    I am a healthy BMI , but had not done much in the way of exercise for 5 years when I started.
    Go at your own pace, you will get stronger. Remember - progress not perfection ! :smile:
  • S3r3knitty
    Options
    For the side lunges- Lunge to the side first, make sure your feet are positioned correctly, your butt is back, and your knee isn't coming over your toes. When your lunge is solid, do the anterior raise, then push back to standing. Once your lunges are solid and your shoulders gain strength you'll be able to do it all at once.
    Thanks that's really helpful. I will definitely do that. I always have the feeling I fumble around because that move exhausts me so much that I cannot focus on form too much.
  • Bergenblart
    Bergenblart Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do love 30DS but don't beat yourself up about not keeping up with Natalie, those two ladies are there on the video for a reason and we're here in REALITYLAND.

I cannot do a full push up like Natalie and follow the modified Anita instead; I'm also not as young as those girls but I do what I can and you should too, just follow your body and you will get stronger slowly. I also back track those videos if I miss a few days....good luck luv....x
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do those either and moved up anyway because the rest of the moves were getting a tad easy. I still think it was the right move, because you don't want to repeat the same "easy" moves for 3 weeks just so you'd get the lunges and push-ups right. By the end of Level 3 I was able to do everything in level 1 and then some :)
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

^^This. There's no need to go as fast as the girls right off the bat. Proper form is the most important thing to avoid injury and get the best results, so take your time, work on your form, and over time it will get easier.

I found these sooo hard. This is pretty much how I went about it.
  • S3r3knitty
    Options
    What weights are you using for the side lunges?
    I only have one pair right now. They are 2kg and google tells me that's 4.4 lb
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think that's a bit heavy for straight arm lifts. Can you use some cans of soup or filled water bottles instead?
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I really need some motivation. I am now at day 7 of level 1 and I mostly follow Natalie moves except when it comes to push ups and side lunges where I have to switch to the modified version. However, even then I have to make breaks and my push ups are not as far down as Anita's and don't get me started on raising my arms during the side lunges. I can maybe do 5-7 but then it starts to get impossible.
    I just don't believe I will be able to do them in the near future. It's just pathetic how weak my arms are.

Were you able to complete all exercises when you moved to Level 2 after 10 days or did you also struggle with some exercises?

I joke around about the 30DS, I say that for me it is more like the 60DS. I have completed Level 1, and tomorrow I am doing D9 of L2. When I started I did the modified version of the entire Level. I have noticed, however, that now I have ALOT more endurance, and my strength has vastly improved. I plan on repeating the entire Shred again. I know that at the moment it all seems pointless and difficult. Just stick with it. When you re-measure yourself (assuming that you have measured), you will be so happy that you completed it. You can do this!!