Sugar

Is it ok to be over on your sugar intake by like 40 a day because of fruit or will the hinder your weight loss

Replies

• MarisaShickel
    MarisaShickel Posts: 31 Member
    I was just about to post the same question!

Every day I go over my sugar daily goal. Take yesterday for example... one pear (16 g sugar), 1/2 c raspberries (3 g sugar), 1/2 c strawberries (4 g sugar). That's 23 g right there and MFP says I should only have 28. Should I really be paying attention to my sugar levels when most of it comes from fruit? I also use milk every day and a cup of 1% milk has 16 g of sugar! I'm not eating a ton of carbs and I hardly eat processed food, so most of my sugar comes from fruit and dairy.

Anyone have any thoughts? I refuse to give up fruit! :)
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    I don't even track sugar. Don't worry about sugar from fruit. As long as you are remaining at a reasonable calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Unless there is some other reason you are tracking sugar; like a medical reason.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugar intake, don't worry about it. Especially not from fruit.
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Agreed. I thought sugar intake was super important, even if it was from fruit. After taking my biology class last spring, I learned what our body does with the sugar intake and trust me, it's not going to kill you. Now, this doesn't mean getting sugar from say, ho-ho's, cake and pie won't hinder what you're doing, but fruits are fine lol.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Metabolic and behavioral effects of a high-sucrose diet during weight loss.

www.ajcn.org/content/65/4/908.full.pdf
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    manage your macros, don't micro manage your micros unless you have an allergy or other medical condition that warrants it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    In for the ridiculous condemnation of sugar.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Unless you're diabetic, prediabetic, hypoglycemic, or otherwise medically required to track sugar separately, it's just a carb. Carbs aren't evil. Don't track it separately unless you have to, or unless you enjoy showing the naysayers that you can have sugar and still lose weight.
  • arikag
    arikag Posts: 94 Member
    I've just set my own sugar macro, and as I'm looking back at each day, I do a quick tally of ADDED grams of sugar (in things like yogurt, honey, etc) vs sugar in fruits & veggies. If my added sugar seems particularly high, then I'll be extra aware of my intake for the next few days.

Hope that helps!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    My personal feeling is that refined sugar is poison so I try to avoid it in my diet as much as possible. Fats have gotten a bad name over the years, but I personally feel that sugar is a bigger culprit in health issues and obesity. Dr. Lustig is doing some very interesting studies that strongly support this - much to the chagrin of the big corporate food giants... it's worth a look even if you strongly disagree...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELTldYccY1U
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    I say turn off your sugar tracking on here. The limit they set has you going over if you eat an apple, it's more a limit for a refined sugars.
  • MarisaShickel
    MarisaShickel Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks all! You confirmed what I thought, fruits are not evil and added sugar is! I'll just keep enjoying my fruits and keep an eye on added sugars. Thanks again! :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    My personal feeling is that refined sugar is poison so I try to avoid it in my diet as much as possible. Fats have gotten a bad name over the years, but I personally feel that sugar is a bigger culprit in health issues and obesity. Dr. Lustig is doing some very interesting studies that strongly support this - much to the chagrin of the big corporate food giants... it's worth a look even if you strongly disagree...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELTldYccY1U

Actually Lustig has zero studies done on humans and in actual physiological dosages that support that. Also how does let's say sucrose from an apple differ from sucrose in a sugar packet?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    In for sugar is the debil stance.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Well in that particular interview he does state there is zero difference - "both are equally bad". The sugar/no sugar debate has been on FB longer than I have - I guess it is a personal choice. I basically try to avoid refined sugar as much as I can - I do eat fruit under the same logic in the video - fruits have other good things like fibre and other nutrients, plus you can only consume so much of them before you are full... it's worked for me, but it's a personal thing.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Thanks everyone, thats what I thought I am going to stop tracking it because I know i am at a calorie deficie. I am not eatting alot of processed foods mostly fruits and vegies. Ill concintrate more on my protein, sodium, and fiber intake
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    I go over my sugar intake every single day.
    I barely eat sweets, I seem to be taking it in by regular foods or fruits.
    I don't care enough to fix it. I like me some shug-shug's! :drinker: