I wouldn't really call this a "success story"....

You know that place......?

.....the place where you eat boat-loads of pizza, take less than 3000 steps a day, play video games for hours, eat ice cream and bags of Caramel Creams until your teeth burn?

Well.....I have been on a very long sabbatical there.....

They have taken my passport won't give it back, so I am unable to return to the land of healthy eating and exercising.

I am being held hostage against my will.....
(But the Caramel Creams are so GOOOOD!!!!)

d9287a65-8fe1-4f1c-885f-81c14db4212c_zps592863cb.jpg

I cant stop "sitting and eating"!!
(But I am on the final chapter of Super Paper Mario Bros!!!)

I'm dying to get out and run!!
(But it's cold outside, and my foot still has the TINIEST hint of pain in it....better not risk it!!)

Somehow, (divine intervention?), I have managed to "only" gain a pound or two....yet when I look in the mirror, I see myself getting fat.....pants getting tight.....face getting round....

In fact, yesterday I put on a pair of my size 12's and they fit nicely....
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are supposed to be falling off when I stand up, not "fitting nicely"!!!!

I have no scientific data to back this, but I do believe I am going into "hibernation mode"...

No....really......

I think I am about to hibernate......

fde42113-6f94-4dac-a52a-45ab80f00531_zpse5beaac4.jpg

It's getting cold here...the leaves are changing...there was a bit of frost on the lawn this morning...the heat is on in our cozy little cave.....

...and I've begun putting on my winter layer of blubber.

Walrus blubber.
(Do Walruses hibernate?? Hmmmmm.....)

Yes...even the lovely "walrus blubber" has been mentioned again in our household...
just this morning.....

Leah gave me the Pillsbury-Dough-Boy-Poke to my hip this morning and spoke two words....

two. little. words....

"Walrus blubber"

Do I really want to go back to where I was in March?

Have I really come halfway across the lake, only to decide "It's too hard", turn around and swim back?

I don't know where my motivation....my determination.....my drive to become healthy went.
I bet it fell out of my pocket somewhere outside....

I'd better get off this chair...get on my bike....and start looking for it.

Replies

• sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    I started to fear this yesterday… NO HIBERNATION! NOOOOOOO!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Maybe that's what happened to me yesterday, the beginning of hibernation season, I just thought I had a binge...

I will not repeat it today, I will not, I will not, I will not...
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    "Can't" = "I choose not to" Own your choices. For every excuse (it's too cold, I'm tired, my foot hurts), counter it with an excuse to workout (wear a coat, you'll sleep better if you exercise, go swimming/cycling). Yes, I want to just curl up in my comfy chair with a book and a bowl of popcorn, but not til I've logged 30 minutes on the eliptical! :-D
  • Oh I feel your pain. I could have written that.

Nothing more constructive to add...my mojo has gone on an extended holiday and isn't coming back anytime soon :laugh:

But seriously I'm trying to remember that saying...it's not about motivation but about DISCIPLINE. So even though I feel like a baby rhino I dusted myself off and did two 30 min workout videos today. It's a start!

My friends have been helpful and supportive but honestly this is a battle you have to fight on your own.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I like running in the cold.

#doingitwrong
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    the weather is suddenly cooler, my arthritis is acting up for the first time in months, and all I wanted to do this morning was crawl back in bed and pull the covers over my head.

I went for a run instead.

The first step out the door is the hardest - concur that, and the rest of the day is YOURS.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Motivation always comes and goes. You just have to push through the low times, until it comes back again. It will come back. You just can't stop and wait for it. You have to keep going, even if it's less productive during the low motivation times. Motivation comes back when you are actively doing it. You have to maintain some kind of routine that you stick to every week. And sometimes changing to a new exercise routine or adding in new elements can make it interesting again. You can have treats, but you still need to exercise self control, and/or get back on the wagon again.

I can tell from what you wrote that you want to stay on track and you know you need to do that.

I would never want to eat candy until my teeth burn, that sounds uncomfortable (like fingers scratching down a chalkboard).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    The first step out the door is the hardest - concur that, and the rest of the day is YOURS.

It's so true!
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    hang in there. Everyday is a new day to start fresh and at least you aren't above where you left off. That is where I am. You got this.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I love fried walrus blubber.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I can't run in the cold because it triggers my asthma. So I run on the treadmill!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    One thing i must say i love about San Diego, No hibernation needed. We can and do wear shorts year round. The only thing i wished is that it would rain more. It surely truly never rains in southern california. :(
  • ohhhhh this is so me!! I have lost my motivation and find excuses for everything!!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    I like running in the cold.

#doingitwrong

I agree, I'd much rather run on a cold and overcast day then on a warm and sunny one. Get yourself some nice wool running socks. The ones I have are a 60/40 blend, are machine washable, and keep my toesies warm even in the rain.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    the weather is suddenly cooler, my arthritis is acting up for the first time in months, and all I wanted to do this morning was crawl back in bed and pull the covers over my head.

I went for a run instead.

The hardest step for me is the first step out of bed.
  • Just remember, if you failed one day it really doesn't matter, get on track the next.
    What happened in the past .. is actually in the past, so you can't change it. But you can always change today and tomorrow. So get you *kitten* out of the couch and do something to move your buddy.

Go for it, you definetely can do that
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    I'm the opposite. I love my winter/indoor sports and winters are so much more predictable that I can hold onto a gym routine. We're also at home a lot more so it's much easier to eat well.

For me, summers are full of cottages, patios, vacations, etc so all I do is eat crap and drink beer. I gained 20lbs this summer.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    I had a hard time getting motivated yesterday. It was dark and raining here and I love that kind of weather! But I love it for snuggling up on the couch with a good book and a cup of tea, not squatting heavy weights in the garage.

But I told myself, "Self, just go do it, just this once! Just for today, you don't have to tomorrow if you really don't want to." So me, myself and I (that's my workout group) trucked out to the garage and did squats, overhead presses and deadlifts while the rain beat down on the garage roof.

Now today myself is arguing about doing some cardio but I will convince her to work out just for today, just this once...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I don't know where my motivation....my determination.....my drive to become healthy went.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/time-for-more-vitamin-d.htm
  • missionimposs
    missionimposs Posts: 53 Member
    My story is a little like yours too !!! I feel your pain and have sooooo many excuses !!! not to go swimming !!! My daughter got me 10 passes for a lovely club with a great pool and they are sitting on lamp table , whispering to me to take them to the club ........... But the warm house and biscuit tin and my Grandchildren's sweet tin is screaming at me so loud that I am keeping them company !!! I will go tomorrow ......... But which tomorrow who knows ....................
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    I'm the opposite. I love my winter/indoor sports and winters are so much more predictable that I can hold onto a gym routine. We're also at home a lot more so it's much easier to eat well.

For me, summers are full of cottages, patios, vacations, etc so all I do is eat crap and drink beer. I gained 20lbs this summer.

I 100% agree with this. Summer and fall are much harder for me in terms of eating well and keeping my exercise routines in check. Not that I'm actually looking forward to winter but diet and exercise are more on track in the cold weather. :noway:
  • I don't know where my motivation....my determination.....my drive to become healthy went.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/time-for-more-vitamin-d.htm

OF COURSE!!! Thank you for this!!!! :happy:
    I have not been taking Vitamin D through the summer....but we are always told here in Northern Ohio that we need to take Vitamin D supplements because we have, like, 2 days of sun from Fall until Spring :wink:

Will start that back up and see if it helps!!

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement and motivation!!!:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!