Running on empty - is it bad for you?

Options
I find that running empty (ie straight after I get up in the morning) is the best time for me - I get stich if I eat anything.

I just have a few sips of water and off I go for a 4mile run (38mins) (about to up to 5m and add some interval training) then get back - drink more water - do horse chores (20mins) then often ride (60mins) and only after then to I normally eat breakfast - so at about 9.30am (get up anytime from 5.30am)

Should I really try to find something little to eat before I set out? And if so what do you suggest that will not give me stitch? (even a large glass of water does! maybe its because I am relatively new to running so my technique is not the best yet?!)

Its just that my normal routine was to do horse chores/ride before breakfast - so I've just added the run onto that....

or can I just carry on as is if it suits me?

ETA - I do a longer run at weekends too - 6+miles - and again have to go when I'm hungry for best results - so I tend to go straight after i've been to a comp on my horse - so typical day would be 6.30am get up and do horse morning chores - 7am eat - go to competition (ie cross country/show jumping/dressage) get back - then go for a run at about 1pm - eat at 2.30/3pm

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    time doesn't matter do whatever you feel works best for you
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like to run on an empty stomach too, thats pretty common, eliminates the cramps you are talking about and bathroom breaks. If you are worried about it you can try drinking a little bit of juice or gatorade to give you a little extra carbs befoer you head out. My bigger worry is you appear to be missing your recovery with your schedule. Ideally you want to replinish your carbs and get a little protein in within 30 mins. I found personally this made a big difference for me with muscle recovery and I saw some bigger improvements in my running when I started eating recovery food. Since it sounds like you are not a big eater in the morning alot of runners swear by chocolate milk - its gives you the 2:1 carb protein ratio the experts reccomend and most people like chocolate milk :)
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have run on empty before, but I do better if I have something in my tank. I eat a Quest bar -about 170 cals before I go running. I usually run between 5-6 miles first thing in the am.
  • Rosie4732
    Rosie4732 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thanks from replies :)

I do eat a big breakfast:

1/2 cup oats and 180ml semi skimmed milk made up as porridge
    plus
    1 pot greek yoghurt, 1 banana, berries (usually blackberries and raspberries) and 1.5 table spoons of Linseed all mixed up
    so two bowls of food - plus green tea (and lots of water)

its just that I like to eat it after I've done everything - then I can crack straight on with work (work from home)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    'nother vote for fasted training
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    From the advice I read in running magazines a lot of people run on empty in the morning. But not eating for such a long time after you got up doesn't sound healthy to me. Your body needs to be fueled throughout the day. Be careful that you are not undereating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    From the advice I read in running magazines a lot of people run on empty in the morning. But not eating for such a long time after you got up doesn't sound healthy to me. Your body needs to be fueled throughout the day. Be careful that you are not undereating.

So long as calorie goals are being met, it doesn't matter...meal timing is irrelevant...you don't have to eat throughout the day. I couldn't do it, but there are many people who've had great success with IF.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

It doesn't matter whether or not someone eats right when they get up or not and your body doesn't need to be "fueled through out the day". I can eat 3 meals a day and be within -- or even over -- my calorie limit.

To the OP: If not eating in the morning pre-run has worked for you then keep at it. When I used to get up early to go to the gym I always worked out on an empty stomach and that included lifting. When I work out in the afternoon sometimes I eat something sometimes I don't (I do try to eat a little something if I remember because I tend to get light headed and the shakes during my workout if I don't).

It's really what works for you.
  • Rosie4732
    Options
    thanks guys

Think i'll just keep going as I am as it seems to work for me :)

I also have to be careful when I eat before an evening metafit and rebound classes - I can't eat within 4 hours of the class or I get stitch/feel sick - but can easily eat afterwards ;)

I just tend to find I have the most energy when I am hungry - its odd!
  • DesireeNL
    Options

So long as calorie goals are being met, it doesn't matter...meal timing is irrelevant...you don't have to eat throughout the day. I couldn't do it, but there are many people who've had great success with IF.

You mean great success weight loss wise? What works for weight loss doesn't necessarily mean that it's good for your body. But I guess this is one of those topics with a million opinions and tons of studies to support whatever you believe :wink:

I just wanted to point out that a lot of times people who don't eat for hours in the morning, are also the ones who don't eat much at all throughout the day. I hope that's not the case :smile:
  • Rosie4732
    Options
    dont worry I eat plenty :D
    I'm on maintainence not weight loss ;o)
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Everyone runs differently. If it works for you, don't worry about it :)

I personally go out on just one measured cup of almond milk in the morning, and that's only so I can take my vitamins before I head out (and inevitably forget otherwise lol). I actually prefer to run in the morning before food, because, like you mentioned, the awful stitch likes to rear its ugly head after a day of eating.

Have fun and enjoy running!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

You mean great success weight loss wise? What works for weight loss doesn't necessarily mean that it's good for your body. But I guess this is one of those topics with a million opinions and tons of studies to support whatever you believe :wink:

I just wanted to point out that a lot of times people who don't eat for hours in the morning, are also the ones who don't eat much at all throughout the day. I hope that's not the case :smile:

I do intermittent fasting and will go for anywhere between 16-24 hours without food.

There is nothing wrong with fasted cardio or fasted lifting for that matter.

Why not familiarise yourself with the health benefits of IF first... there is plenty of reputable information out there via Lean Gains, ESE etc. http://firthfitness.com/intermittent-fasting-for-fat-loss/
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fasted training is absolutely fine, as long as it doesnt affect your performance.

You seem to have been doing this for some time with no ill effects - why are you questioning it now?
  • DesireeNL
    Options

I do intermittent fasting and will go for anywhere between 16-24 hours without food.

There is nothing wrong with fasted cardio or fasted lifting for that matter.

Why not familiarise yourself with the health benefits of IF first... there is plenty of reputable information out there via Lean Gains, ESE etc. http://firthfitness.com/intermittent-fasting-for-fat-loss/

I'm not going to familiarize myself with IF. I didn't say there's anything wrong with it. People of many cultures have done some sort of fasting for centuries. I only said that what works for weight loss is not necessarily good for your body.
    And as I said, this is a topic with a million opinions and tons of studies to support whatever you want to believe in. I wasn't criticizing any method or promoting one for that matter. I was just expressing a concern. OP confirmed that she's eating plenty, and this works for her, so good for her :smile:
  • Rosie4732
    Options
    Fasted training is absolutely fine, as long as it doesnt affect your performance.

You seem to have been doing this for some time with no ill effects - why are you questioning it now?

Simply because I've added running into my morning routine in the last month and everything I seem to see online states that you should have a snack before morning exersise

But I'm happy now that I can just continue with what is obviously working fine for me - sometimes you just need a little support/reassurance
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Depending on intensity and how long it's been since you've eaten, it might be less than ideal, but I certainly wouldn't call it "bad" for most people.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a stitch (cramp) can result from low hydration. I like the Gatorade solution before the run for the carbs and hydration. I agree about not eating . . . maybe sometimes half a banana . . . but running on empty as the sun is rising is my preference too.
  • mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I run on empty most of the time...if I do grab something it is a string cheese.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Since everybody is carrying some bodyfat, you're never really running "empty." If you run in a fasted state, your body adapts to burn fat for fuel. I currently have a practically unlimited fuel source and I look to use that fuel over carbs every chance I can.