Are the calories spent correct on the exercise calc?

I entered in Zumba from yesterday and it gave me 806 calories burned. I'm 32, 5'5 and 242 pounds. 806 calories sounds like a lot, and I don't have the money for a heart rate monitor right now. Is the calculator on here correct or at least close? Am I looking at being like, hundreds of calories off if I go by that every day?

Replies

• imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    I'm fairly new here, but I can tell from different posts that MFP is notorious for inflating the calories spent. I plan on getting a HRM when money permits, but until then, I cut the number in half. Not sure if that is right or wrong though :)
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    I find that it is a good 100-150 calories off on my input. I bought a used HRM off ebay to start tracking as I thought the burn was high. It was. Those numbers are there for a guide, as caloric burn is very individual based on your age, height, weight and current physical condition. I wish I could claim the calories burned they have, but alas, my metabolism is MUCH SLOWER. Boo!
  • tihi18
    tihi18 Posts: 102 Member
    I wouldn't cut the calories in half but maybe cut them by 20% that's what I do.... I also research other websites to get a more general idea about calories burned.
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    I wouldn't cut the calories in half but maybe cut them by 20% that's what I do.... I also research other websites to get a more general idea about calories burned.
    Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the idea of checking different websites :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Taking 50-80% of the reported calories from MFP is fairly standard. You'd be better off in the long run getting a heart rate monitor, though.
  • missuniquedesign
    missuniquedesign Posts: 17 Member
    I track my calories by either my Elipitical or my arm band etc...I change mine to fit me. So yes it give far more than what I think should be.

IF you use Tread mill or elipitical it will tell you the calories you burn etc...use those
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    I track my calories by either my Elipitical or my arm band etc...I change mine to fit me. So yes it give far more than what I think should be.

IF you use Tread mill or elipitical it will tell you the calories you burn etc...use those

Treadmills and ellipticals also tend to overestimate, just FYI.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    806 calories sounds like a lot, and I don't have the money for a heart rate monitor right now.

It is a lot, and an HRM won't get you a better number for this kind of exercise.

If you do this regularly, and track all your food, just knock 1/3 off the number and see how well that matches your actual results. If it doesn't, adjust accordingly.