Strength training/Weight training?

Options
jdier
jdier Posts: 110 Member
My workout as of now consists of 10 min. running on treadmill, 5 minutes of weights/ab/leg exercises (depending on day), 10 min. running, 5 min. weights, 10 min. running, ended by 5 more minutes of weights. Do I count that 15 min. of weights/exercises as strength training or circuit training? The difference between the two is quite a lot of calories (122 for circuit, 46 for strength)! Thanks for your imput!smile

Replies

• FitMama1982
    FitMama1982 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My workout as of now consists of 10 min. running on treadmill, 5 minutes of weights/ab/leg exercises (depending on day), 10 min. running, 5 min. weights, 10 min. running, ended by 5 more minutes of weights. Do I count that 15 min. of weights/exercises as strength training or circuit training? The difference between the two is quite a lot of calories (122 for circuit, 46 for strength)! Thanks for your imput!smile

I think that sounds more like circuit training then strength training. Strength training is more a extended amount of time just focused on lifting weights for example 30 - 45 minutes.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would log it as circuit training.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I would count them as separate cardio and strength. Circuit training is more like alternating one minute of cardio with one set/minute of strength. Circuit training doesn't give the body any rest breaks between sets, thats why you burn more calories for it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    When you do your strength training portion do you take breaks between sets or do one exercise after another (breaks are as long as it takes to get to the next machine or pick up the proper weights) If you don't take breaks than it is circuit training. If for those 5 minutes you do one set then take a one minute break then do another set... then it is strength training.

Also with circuit training you keep your heart rate up for the duration of exercise. Hope this helps.
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When you do your strength training portion do you take breaks between sets or do one exercise after another (breaks are as long as it takes to get to the next machine or pick up the proper weights) If you don't take breaks than it is circuit training. If for those 5 minutes you do one set then take a one minute break then do another set... then it is strength training.

Also with circuit training you keep your heart rate up for the duration of exercise. Hope this helps.

I don't take any breaks so I keep my heart rate up, then when I'm finished with the 5 I hop right back on the treadmill.