Replies

• ReddHott77
    ReddHott77 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Medical Coding and Insurance Billing Manager
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Commercial Lines CSR @ local insurance agency.
    Been in insurance 12 years, finally found an agency that is a good fit for me, enjoy my co-workers and bosses. Was previously employed with a different local agent, totally toxic work environment, had to get out. Not an exciting job, but pretty much all I've known since being out of university.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Attorney. Commercial litigation. It's sometimes a bummer...but I console myself with piles of cash.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Real estate agent, and I absolutely love what I do helping people buy and sell homes!

nice plug :drinker:

actually, it's a nice forum/community guidelines violation :wink:

Shhhhhh............. Dont tell anyone though
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse. Currently I am working as a school nurse but I have worked everything from doctors office to Corrections (prisons). I have to say out of all of them Corrections is my favorite. You get a little bit of everything in corrections. Wonderful skills experience. It is like a Dr office, ER, Geriatric Nursing, Mental health, Physical Therapy all rolled into one!
  • BigCupOTea
    Options
    I am Batman
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'm a pipeline engineer and i LOVE LOVE LOVE my job and my company and my co-workers.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm a secondary school languages teacher (in England). I enjoy my job, no day is the same! I do work in quite a deprived area so some pupils can be pretty 'challenging'! Marking books takes ages and we have a lot of paperwork to do, plus we are constantly being observed and live in fear of OfSTED! On the plus side we get 13 weeks off a year.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have the dreaded liberal arts degree background so I've mostly worked in offices, generally in the social services and medical fields. Nothing to do with nursing, though! When I was younger I also did some retail management work (books, music, video...obsolete stores now, of course).

I was an auditor for a social services agency for about 5 years (very high stress, well paid job) and then quit in 2011 when my ex husband and I lost our home in a tornado and decided to move to a larger city and "start fresh".

Now for the past 2 years I've been working at random jobs and usually don't last more than a couple of months at most...office stuff, and I'm finding it is SO random what they pay and expect one to do under the title of "administrative assistant". In my area, it ranges from nearly minimum wage and using 100% of your skills and learning legal terminology on the side, to twice that wage and mostly just answering the phone and screwing around on MFP ;-)

Obviously I've chosen the latter at this point. I'm an accounts receivable/accounts payable admin for a small, green tech company in my neighborhood and it's not a bad gig.

I'm also going to counseling partly due to this and other issues. It's not normal to go through so many jobs in 2 years, I know. It has been entertaining, however!!! :-D
  • Jendawn0427
    Jendawn0427 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I didn't know better I would say you and I worked at the same company! It was like working in the armpit of Hades! In fact they wanted me to stay once I put in my notice. I would rather shovel manure at the gates of hell than keep working there. Seriously...crazy turnover like you mentioned, and toxic negativity. I was the HR Coordinator. I was laid off from the job I had before that but it was terrible there too. I was the Office Manager. The company President's wife had him whipped. She was the VP and completely insane. The last 11 years of my employment history has been terrible. However, I am now the HR Assistant/Wellness Program Director at a wonderful company! I've been there two months and the difference between this company and the other two is absolutely amazing. It's night and day. In fact, I've lost 14 pounds just because I'm not stressed. I used to stress eat uncontrollably. When I changed jobs I noticed one day that I wasn't doing that. It jump started the motivation I needed to start working on losing weight. Being the Wellness Director was great motivation too! I don't want to be a hypocrite.
    I wish you all the best in your job search. There are great jobs out there!
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Web design, development, and online marketing consultant.... and love it!

Find something you love that fits you and youll be much happier, even if it pays less. You can do it!
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Assistant Payroll Administrator/Assistant Accounts Recievable Clerk.

Also, I have been filling in some Human Resources responsibilities while we are looking for a new Human Resources Director. Thank God, she starts the first of October!
  • GeekMeister
    GeekMeister Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    owner/partner of an IT consulting company. Owning and growing a business is probably the most stressful and hardest work I've ever done....but I do love my job.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Attorney. Commercial litigation. It's sometimes a bummer...but I console myself with piles of cash.

Exactly. I've seriously considered getting a second mortgage worth of debt (or would it be 3rd, since I already have a real mortgage too??) just so I could actually get paid for the work I do.....

I never thought I'd say it, but I envy attorney's. I went into medicine because I'm a "lover not a fighter"....and I've been doing nothing but fighting ever since....and NOT getting paid for it.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    i work at a school district.
    ...but being a Dad to my 3 kids and grandpa to Addie has the best pay!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Phone Sex Operator for lonely housewives. 1-800-ROADDOG
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Medical office manager and I love it. Mostly because the girls I work with and our patients are so FUN!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist, working at a LTAC facility. It's my 2nd career and 1st job in this field, since I just graduated in May and passed my boards in July. So far so good, and I make about 2.5 times more than the job I had while in school.
  • bads1
    bads1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Plant Engineer (Enginerd) for a company making steel strand. Like my job more days than not.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options

Exactly. I've seriously considered getting a second mortgage worth of debt (or would it be 3rd, since I already have a real mortgage too??) just so I could actually get paid for the work I do.....

I never thought I'd say it, but I envy attorney's. I went into medicine because I'm a "lover not a fighter"....and I've been doing nothing but fighting ever since....and NOT getting paid for it.
    Haha. I guess the grass is always greener.:happy:

Whenever I hang out with my friends who are MDs (admittedly rarely...since we all work constantly), I come away thinking, "Dang, I should have studied and practiced medicine." :happy:

ETA: I'm surprised how much free work (unwilling pro bono...haha) I do. Oh well...maybe it'll delay my descent into hell. (Aren't all attorneys headed there anyway?) :devil: