Is my body fat % too low?

Options
Okay, so my trainer at the gym was telling me yesterday that my body fat % is too low, and that i need to put on some weight.

Here are my stats:

33 (almost 34) yr old female
130 lbs (small frame)
5'8"
neck 12"
bicep 10.5"
Chest 36"
Waist 26"
Abdomen 31"
Hip 36"
Thigh 20"

Military BF calculator says i'm 19.2% body fat
My scale at home says i'm 21% body fat
And the handheld at the gym said i was only 16.5% body fat

So my trainer looked at me... very concerned and worried... and told me that i need to put on some more weight and fat. I told her that i just recently increased my calories because i'm trying to maintain and/or gain some muscle instead of losing fat now. I asked her how much she thought i should be eating. She said 1500 calories. I said that i'm aiming for 1700-1800 so that should be enough right? She said that maybe i'm not eating the right kind of calories then. I said my macros are 45% carbs, 30% fat 25% protein. I asked what other kind of calories i should be eating and she looked at me funny and suggested i try to fit some ensure shakes into my diet between meals. And that maybe i should eat 2000 calories until i put on some more weight . My fitbit says i burn around 1700 per day on average (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on activity level) and i think it's pretty accurate.

She also told me that with my weight and body fat this low that my immune system is compromised? I'm not sure why she would say that... because my husband has had the flu for a few weeks, and my co-workers have been sick and throwing up at work, and i haven't caught anything... i'm pretty sure my immunity is just fine.

Maybe she's just worried because i have lost a lot of weight in the last 5 months... but i told her that i've upped my calories, i'm no longer on a deficit, and i want to put on some more muscle mass... but i don't think i need any more fat. Is she right? Is my body fat % really too low?

Help please. I thought i knew what i was doing here, but her level of concern for me has got me wondering now.

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctor if you are that concerned, but ranging from 16.5 - 21% BF for a woman is completely healthy if you look at various BMI calculators, etc. unless you are starting to show signs that women show regarding low BF (menstrual problems, etc.) I wouldn't be concerned about it, but check with your doctor.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    For an idea of extreme... 8-12% is not unheard of in some women. *-12 is generally considered as low as you can go and still survive. Anything less than that and it's damaging to your body. I've known women who were perfectly happy and healthy in teh 12-15% range, albeit a bit lean in my opinion. Optimal for women is generally considered to be the 15-25% range.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • michybeans
    Options
    To me it sounds like you are doing everything right... I am not an expert in this at all though. But if you are concerned, make an appointment with your doctor and ask him/her. I would trust your doctor's opinion before your personal trainer.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Drop the trainer and find another one. Unless your trainer is also a doctor that has performed blood work and other tests on you, it is impossible to "look" at someone and diagnose them medically. This trainer obviously has no idea about nutrition or the body, and to blindly throw out how many calories you should consume, scare you, and tell you to drink Ensure between meals is just dumb and unprofessional. This "trainer" probably took an online course, paid $50 and got a certificate printed on the spot.

My suggestion: Always consult a physician before starting a weight training or exercise program. After that, do some research on beginner lifting and strength gaining programs. Determine your optimal caloric and macro goals based on your fitness, health and strength goals. Seek help from other's IN THE KNOW and learn from them, while also understanding that you will need to encounter trial and error before you start to feel comfortable with your results. Don't waste your time or money with fake guru trainers spouting nonsense.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    From what I can tell, you're in a healthy weight range but you're edging towards the lower end. I don't know about body fat since that can only be accurately calculated with more extensive medical equipment than is going to be in your average gym. Your scale would have no idea how much lean body mass you have and the calipers would not be able to gauge distribution.

Basically, if you're worried abut it, talk to your doctor.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    From you BMI to body fat, you seem to be in a healthy range to me. Your BMI doesn't put you underweight and your body fat % is in the "lean" range. In fact, we're almost identical in everything except I'm a little shorter and a few lbs lighter, but measurements, BF%, etc. are pretty much the same.

I'm not worried about my BF. In fact, I'd like to get it to 18%...
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :) I feel healthy, but the way she was looking at me and talking to me made me feel like i look like i have an eating disorder or something. That is not my goal. I want to be healthy and strong. :)
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    In short, your trainer is a kook. Those bf calculators are notoriously inaccurate. One of the handhelds once told me I was around 8%. I was sitting at about 14%. Looking at your pics, you look in the neighborhood of 25%. I think you should concentrate on building muscle. But you don't even have abs. No way is your body fat too low.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    In short, your trainer is a kook. Those bf calculators are notoriously inaccurate. One of the handhelds once told me I was around 8%. I was sitting at about 14%. Looking at your pics, you look in the neighborhood of 25%. I think you should concentrate on building muscle. But you don't even have abs. No way is your body fat too low.

I had one of those measure me at 33% one day and 17% the next. They're complete crap.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    first of all, those bf calculators are not reliable and are notoriously inaccurate. but even so, 19-22% isn't too low unless you perhaps have a medical condition that encourages you to try to increase your body fat-- like cancer treatment.

your trainer sounds like a whack. if you aren't having any side effects from low bf (ex: your menstrual cycle is being affected) i wouldn't worry about it. but if you do happen to become worried, talk to a doctor, not some trainer at the gym.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling like others have said that the bf% in completely innacurate. Matter of fact i can pretty much tell you from the 26-31 inch waist that you aren't in that range. Judging form the pictures in your profile i'd say you are closer to 24-25%.

I wouldn't worry about it until you get down to 15-16% (you will have visible abs at this point mind you) and it starts affecting hormones.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    130 sounds fine for your height.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing she said you should be eating 1500 cals and when you said you eat closer to 1700-1800, she then said 2,000. Where is she pulling these arbitrary numbers from? Does she usually discuss diet with you?
    I agree with the other posters-if you are concerned, see a doctor. And if you keep losing weight and don't want to, eat a little more. Good luck!
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with dieselbyte. Kick the "trainer" to the curb. You sound like you have a better understanding then your trainer does. Keep up the good work.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    As a woman, if your bodyfat % gets un-healthfully low, you will stop getting your period. It's that simple to know if you've dropped too low.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Drop the trainer and find another one. Unless your trainer is also a doctor that has performed blood work and other tests on you, it is impossible to "look" at someone and diagnose them medically. This trainer obviously has no idea about nutrition or the body, and to blindly throw out how many calories you should consume, scare you, and tell you to drink Ensure between meals is just dumb and unprofessional. This "trainer" probably took an online course, paid $50 and got a certificate printed on the spot.

My guess is that the "trainer" is a hobo that wandered in off the street and stole a uniform.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    LOL I think your trainer is on crack!

Thats like a perfect BF% for a woman. Don't listen to him
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    The actual percent sounds fine. Your measurement are almost exactly mine though and I'm 5'1'' huge height difference haha.
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Has your period stopped? If not, your weight isn't too low.

With so many people being overweight and obese nowadays I think people have a distorted view of what is healthy versus what is underweight. People of normal, slender weights seem too thin to most people now since the societal norm has shifted.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Your body fat % is fine.

How much you need to eat to maintain would be determined by your TDEE. If you want to gain muscle, consider increasing your protein.